Key won't turn in ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key won't turn in ignition

This is really weird. My key won't turn in the ignition of my 99 Grand Marquis. I tried jiggling the steering wheel, flipping the key over etc..., but it still won't go. The steering wheel lock works (as it's locked), key is in good shape, the battery is connected, lights come on etc..., key just won't turn.

I changed the fuel filter today, and the car started up no problem after that, so I`m stumped.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    sigpic

Hmm my dad had that problem when he parked his truck on a sever incline, but it had something to do with it being in park and the pressure on the pin. Other than that I have no idea besides the unit being bad. I know our town car would start without the keys for a while.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

It's possible the lock cylinder has failed. I had to replace mine recently for the same reason, and it's loads of fun because the key has to be in the Run/On position for the cylinder to pull out. The procedure is to turn the key on, then reach up into a small hole underneath the cylinder (with the bottom cover off of the steering column) with something small and pointy, like a scratch awl or similar tool, and push a little pin up in there, and then you can pull the cylinder out. I ended up just fiddling around with mine until it eventually turned, and then I could remove it.

I know you said the key is in good shape, but do you have a spare key you can at least try? I found mine worked fine with my spare key after I had removed it, which made me think that perhaps the original key was just worn out. It's worth trying.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

sounds like the lock cyl is giving up on you. I'd replace that before it fails totally, otherwise you'll have a hell of a time getting it out.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
          It's possible the lock cylinder has failed. I had to replace mine recently for the same reason, and it's loads of fun because the key has to be in the Run/On position for the cylinder to pull out.
          How did you end up getting that out of there without chiselling it out like I did mine?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I thought it may be the lock cylinder. I pulled out the shop manuals and had a look throught it. Sounds like I have to remove the steering wheel and drill it out. If I replace the ignition/lock cylinder I assume I'll need a new key, which I also assume will need to be programed by Ford. Is this the case?
            sigpic

Comment

Programmed?

And if you buy a new lock cylinder, it should come with a matching key - or if you score a used one, I would imagine a locksmith could key it however you want and provide a key to match just like they'd do with a Schlage deadbolt.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaysboat View Post
                I thought it may be the lock cylinder. I pulled out the shop manuals and had a look throught it. Sounds like I have to remove the steering wheel and drill it out. If I replace the ignition/lock cylinder I assume I'll need a new key, which I also assume will need to be programed by Ford. Is this the case?
                Unless things changed significantly between 1999 and 2001, which I don't think they did (but I could be wrong), there should be no need to remove the steering wheel. I also don't think yours is new enough to have the transponder key, which means no programming necessary. Does your original key have a big fat plastic thing at the end, or is it more like just a metal key with a thin plastic coating? If it's big and fat, it's a transponder key. Otherwise, it's just a reg'lar ol' key.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Those transponder keys aren't cheap hopefully you don't have one.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Problem solved. My wheels were a bit sqewed, so the ignition locked up. I had to turn the wheel AND the key at the same time to unlock it. Thanks CAA!!, and thanks to all you guys for the tips.

By the way, my key has the black plastic on it, so I'm pretty sure it's a transponder key.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hey, glad to hear you got it figured out. I didn't even think to recommend trying that, because when you said this:
                      I tried jiggling the steering wheel...
                      I assumed you meant this:

I had to turn the wheel AND the key at the same time to unlock it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        Programmed?

The key has a chip that is read by the car somehow (How I do not know) anyway even if the teeth are correct the car will not start unless the chip matches, A new set of keys is like 100 bucks from the dealer, My grandmother wanted a spare made and thats what the ford garage quoted her for her torus.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Black plastic doesn't necessarily mean it has a transponder.
                          Is there an X, T, or other letter stamped in the key below the plastic?

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                            The key has a chip that is read by the car somehow (How I do not know) anyway even if the teeth are correct the car will not start unless the chip matches, A new set of keys is like 100 bucks from the dealer, My grandmother wanted a spare made and thats what the ford garage quoted her for her torus.
                            Good heavens! Are there specific years/models/submodels that have that? Sounds like an excellent feature to defeat/override. :nonono:

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                              Good heavens! Are there specific years/models/submodels that have that? Sounds like an excellent feature to defeat/override. :nonono:
                              I have no idea when they started and on what cars, maybe someone else does though. Not sure it can be overridden either, at least easily.
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X