Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres the 3 mm thick steel plate cut out

to fit here

No plasma cutters or any other fancy profile machine! Just an angle grinder, air saw and die grinder! Took about 2 hours!

Heres a shot of the floor finally welded back to the floorpan.

Wishing all of you who are following this a very happy and prosperous new year..........hoping in 12 months time this project will be somewhere near finished!!

Andy.

PS I'll be back on it on new years day!!
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I hope you get it done faster than that. Very much looking forward to seeing this car done.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Can't wait to see this long roof laying rockers!!!
        '88' MGM wagon (mine and my sons toy)
        "60" chrysler New Yorker (my project)
        "78" Chevy 1 Ton P/U (yard horse)
        "01" Ford Explorer (wifes DD)
        "93" Chevy Suburban (my DD)

Comment

While I am welding on the passenger side I spotted the fuel filter bracket bolted to the frame. It was the only bit I didn't have blasted and powdercoated. So off it comes and here it is

Just a little bit rusty then! So it goes into my acid tank for a few days and I will then weld it up

New rocker extension welded in where the rear door is

Now I will have to fill in this gap

Heres the next gap to fill in

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Decided to fillet weld the floor back to the rockers this time.

Right at the front is a bit awkward.

So I made this panel

to go here.

then welded up and panel adhesive where I cant get to weld

Onto rear wheel arches next! Oh and my engine is ready to pick up! Fully rebuilt.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

very nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

My garage is quite small and I have absolutely no space left to put my new engine on a stand let alone paint it! This is the space at the back

and the front rails of the car is up against the roller door at the front!

So where the heck do I put the engine so I can paint it?

Then I had an idea! Put the engines stand in the engine bay. Will it fit? Have a look

I know it will be a PITA to get round it but it is possible. After painting it I will hoist it off the stand and bolt it back into place and assemble the engine in situ (the block already has the bottom end in, its just minus the heads and everything else!)

This may work!

Andy.
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Now that's some excellent, if I may borrow the british vernacular, bodging. Very funny.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I'd have put the engine stand the other way around so as to not have to mess with dislodging the stand later, but I had the same idea when looking at the lack of space in the first pic.

Comment

I'd LOVE to be there to see all this going on! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                        I'd have put the engine stand the other way around so as to not have to mess with dislodging the stand later, but I had the same idea when looking at the lack of space in the first pic.
                        Hi slymer.
                        I had thought about putting it the other way round but getting to the front of the engine to paint would then be very difficult. Serves me right for living on a small island and not having much land!!

Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                          Hi slymer.
                          I had thought about putting it the other way round but getting to the front of the engine to paint would then be very difficult. Serves me right for living on a small island and not having much land!!

Andy.
                          Don't beat yourself up too badly. I'm in a country with less than 1/100 the population density and I still can't get an actual garage for my Vic.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            Don't beat yourself up too badly. I'm in a country with less than 1/100 the population density and I still can't get an actual garage for my Vic.
                            Ill drink to that. I know all about it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by andyfanshawe View Post
                              Hi slymer.

Andy.
                              but then you could roll it out with the door open to make room. I get what you're saying though. And yeah... my garage BARELY fits these cars nose to tail and since I have a 2-car garage, the lincoln takes up half with my wife's vic taking up the other. my 88 MGM driver gets the short stick outside. and I have no room left pretty much. and this is only because we passed on a number of houses with shorter garages (couldn't pull the car in without the ass hanging out).

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                                but then you could roll it out with the door open to make room. I get what you're saying though. And yeah... my garage BARELY fits these cars nose to tail and since I have a 2-car garage, the lincoln takes up half with my wife's vic taking up the other. my 88 MGM driver gets the short stick outside. and I have no room left pretty much. and this is only because we passed on a number of houses with shorter garages (couldn't pull the car in without the ass hanging out).
                                Agree with all this. My garage is actually far bigger than all the more modern ones.

Engine pickup day! And cylinder head drop off at the same time.

Here's the plastic wrapped thing in the back of our Chrysler Grand Voyager

and the crane ready to pick it out

Here's sneaky peek at the top of one of the pistons

and onto the engine stand!

I've had a standard rebuild but with the exception of higher compression pistons to make it slightly more "peppy!" but without causing any pinging with our fuel.

Painting it next and then assemble time, once the heads have had their 3 angle valve job etc. Nothing fancy but more modern!! My performance engines disappeared with my youth! Now its slow and low.

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X