No announcement yet.

1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow! just wow. i wish you were over here in ohio. i would be there right beside you just to watch and learn. i have NEVER seen any one go into that much restro! I want to learn to weld, and make panels like that. i am deff keeping an eye on this thread...

BTW in my opinion...
    1. shock waves are over rated and expensive. they DO brake. i know a guy that unbagged his colorado because his broke and it was to expensive to fix (had them custom made before there was a kit for them) use the 2600's like mentioned and grab a set of these
    http://www.suicidedoors.com/catalog/shock-relocating

2. take you LCA's back off, make a flat plate to cover it (or in your anal case, cut it out and weld it in with a hole to bolt the bag in it will allow you to drop lower in the front (if that is a problem)
    f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
    86 LTD wagon - wifes back up car
    slammed 86 pontiac wagon - back up dd
    79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Originally posted by wagon mafia View Post
      wow! just wow. i wish you were over here in ohio. i would be there right beside you just to watch and learn. i have NEVER seen any one go into that much restro! I want to learn to weld, and make panels like that. i am deff keeping an eye on this thread...
      If he were over here in Ohio, I'm thinking party at his house lol :club:

Keep up the good werk mang!
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

deff party at his house...
        f/s modded 99 s10 - $3500, F/s 90 accord - $450, f/s 84 Cutlass $2200, parting out another 90 accord
        79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Originally posted by wagon mafia View Post
          deff party at his house...
          Thanks guys!
          Def party at my house! Have to wait till the volcano dust settles though 'cos nothings landing here!!
          Glad you are enjoying it.

Thanks for following this build, but unfortunately I didn't get to this site till after it had all started.
          It all originated here
          http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...872395&fpart=1
          and, in fact still continues there (and here). So if you want to see it from the start, have a look.
          It would be really nice to post all the build here, from the start, but it would take me forever to transfer it.

Anyway, keep watching.

As soon as the engine is fired up and deemed okay, and it starts and runs, I will do a quick reconstruct of the inner wheel arches, get it down for its annual test, and then rip the dash out completely for a heater core change and a rebuild of the top of the passenger A post while it is all out (where the top hinge is).
          Looking forward to that one and many, many photos.

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Here is a photo of the wagon actually stood on its own feet rather than stands under the sills!

Heres the engine in and partly assembled

Fuel tank needs to be cleaned up and prepped for epoxy mastic paint that is supposed to seal any rust or pinholes or defects permanently.

Fuel tank before

Nothing too bad at all but needs prepping. I have new seals and locking plates for the pump and sender so I will media blast around there. The inside of the tank looks immaculate.

Heres the tank being stripped. I am using an air grinder to get minimum sparks!! All holes have been sealed so no vapours are escaping.

Heres the deox c gel that I am using for rust removal.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Found this under the carpet. It says ELEC OK on it, has a time on it, but no date.

I assume this is a sheet left over from the original factory build. Has anyone seen anything like it before?

Andy.
              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

fuel tank repair tip, when performing any grinding and/or welding/soildering run exhaust throught it from some source, makes it totaly safe to perfrom any work on it with no chance of explosion

Comment

Originally posted by 4door View Post
                  fuel tank repair tip, when performing any grinding and/or welding/soildering run exhaust throught it from some source, makes it totaly safe to perfrom any work on it with no chance of explosion
                  Interesting, whats the science behind that?
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

cardon monoxide kills the flumes , that whats most explosive.

Comment

I guess this makes sense, cool. Oh and I love that sexy ass engine bay, I'm guessing you are going to chrome all the hoses and get new rubber ones?
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 4door
                        Sorry, but you are wrong.

The Carbon Monoxide doesn't remove the fumes. As most know, fire needs three things to burn. Oxygen, fuel, and heat. Carbon Dioxide being an inert gas, fills the tank, and pushes out MOST of the oxygen. This method is not 100% safe. Carbon Dioxide isn't the only thing in the exhaust. There could be unburned fuel in the exhaust as well.

I hope I am not out of line by bringing up a subject that was being discussed in general rodding tech about welding on gas tanks but this one hits a nerve with me because I had a friend die a terrible death and every time someone mentions welding on a gas tank those visions of that terrible day come back. Seems this fellow was using the common and VERY misguided trick of purging a tank with exhaust gas from a gasoline engine to make it "safe" to weld on! This was a diesel fuel tank that in all probability would not have exploded if he had not purged it at all but he did and the exhaust fumes exploded and killed him, he lived for several hours but eventually died from the burns. Being in the welding and mine machinery repair business for many years I personally know of three accidents that have occurred from doing this including the one that killed my friend, the other two guys were luckier and only received injuries although one of these was quite serious. The IMSHA investigator that investigated the fatal accident I mentioned at the mine said that he had seen several accidents caused by purging with exhaust gas including another fatality and that it happens more often than you might think, more so in the auto repair business than at a mine. This all too common myth still persists because some people think that exhaust gas is "dead air" (whatever that means ) and is an inert gas but nothing could be farther from the truth and exhaust gas is quite explosive when mixed with the right amount of Oxygen from the air. I have attempted to argue this point with several welders, one of which was later injured doing it, but usually with little success and it simply amazes me how common this dangerous and just plain stupid myth is. DON'T DO THIS! It can and does kill people!
                        That is from the Hotrodders.com board.
                        http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/weld...nk-119062.html

Giving advice about welding gas tanks and claiming the method you use is totally safe and there is no chance of explosion is reckless.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

i have been doing that method for over 35 years have never heard of one exploding with exhaust gas, grinding one with it sealed up is suicidal .

Comment

I don't know it just doesn't sound safe to me. Wouldn't it be safer to fill it with water or use one of the commercial solvents I'm sure exist for this very reason. Exhaust is flammable with the right mix of oxygen. You can buy tanks of other known inert gasses (Nitrogen), the main problem is eliminating all the oxygen.

Also gas (even the fumes) won't explode unless it is contained. If there is a way for the gas to escape and a fire does occur it will be scary as hell and you will probably be burned, but the tank shouldn't explode unless it is sealed up.
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Stop it all. Enough bickering. If anyone wants to continue this discussion in OTB then go ahead but it stops in this thread right here right now.
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

i vote fuel cell if a new one isn't readily avalible
                                79 fairmont - DD

Comment

Working...
                                X