PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Quote Originally Posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
    The sheer amount of patience you must have amazes me, I thought the body work I did was a lot to save a car, you my friend are truly devoted.
    Thank you

Devoted is easy when you enjoy it! I keep thinking of the end product!!!

I've had plenty of practice with rusty cars here in the UK

Oh for a bit of sunshine! Then I'll show you devotion!

Onwards and upwards....................

This is the back of the outer rocker with the inner rocker cut off.

You can actually see where the water has entered at the top and run down and spread out. The bottom of the outer rocker panels are almost rust free.

In my opinion this is entirelty due to the water being held by that black foam stuff that is injected in for sound deadening. I will make sure this foam is removed from the other side and thoroughly rustproofed also.

This is where I think the water is entering. Through this plug.

Check yours guys!

Andy.

I really enjoy reading your thread so far. dam that sure hides a lot of rust. glad you got the skills

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

I want some grape drink baby, mmmm it's purple

I've done bags and body drops and things on several trucks but never got around to doing it on a panther. Just layed it down and got some measurements and did a lil brain storming on whats would need to happen to make it lay. On the front I think you can do it with some trimming of the spring pocket and notching the lower a arms will lay the front on a 27'' tall tire which you said you want 20's or better a 255/35/20 is 27 inches tall. I am pretty sure thats the tallest tire that will fit under the hood line when laying frame. Or if your wanting a bigger wheel a 255/25/22 is also 27'' tall. Now in the rear the problem is the 4 link mounts are kinda like right where you need to cut for a notch and such, So it may require you to build you own 4 link in place of the stock after you get the notch made or a 2 link and a watts something like that. Just some things I have noticed if a person where to make one lay frame what would be required.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

"In science it is either physics or stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford 91grandmarquis's Avatar

I enjoy body work very much as well actually, but I do have my times when I question why the hell Im doing this.

Funny story about the rear quarters on my car, I had it backed on to ramps to do the body work and add metal etc, well after a week of after school toiling and tons of coats of bondo and putty it was time to take it off the ramps. I pulled the car off and heard the ramp shoot out, not a huge deal as it happens quite a bit on our cement floors, well the suspension was so soft it bottomed out on the ramp and crimped the quarter to hell, popping the new metal off and destroying all the work. It was one of those times you just walk away for a bit.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Had a few days off due to the weather and working. But had a chance tonight to cut the new inner sill (rocker) out of the correct 2mm plate steel and drill it for plug welding. Here it is clamped in place

Welded in

I have a week off from tomorrow so should get quite a bit done. Unfortunately Scott hasn't come through with the spacers for the body mounts. So I am now stuffed for at least 2 weeks while I design and make some.

It would be something if he would let me know by email or PM whats happening, but he doesn't. 2 weeks later and I am no further. Disappointing since he offered help in the first place.

Andy.

Andy.

Anyway, further progress made yesterday and today.
    Etch primed and painted the inner sill/rocker red!

Heres the old inside of the outer sill/rocker

and the partially blasted and rewelded one!! You can see the patches butt welded in.

Here it is sealed, etch primed and painted red inside.

Here we are clamped ready for welding

and finally welded in

and painted white temporarily

Andy.

How about this for progress!

Before

After

The brown stuff inside is dinitrol 3125 rustproofer and to make it get into all the seams I heat it with a hot air gun until it drips out everywhere.

Andy.

"In science it is either physics or stamp collecting." - Ernest Rutherford 91grandmarquis's Avatar

Nicely done.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

nice work mang that great progress

Phew. Feel knackered after a few days so called holiday! I actually work harder in my hols than when I'm at work!

Anyway, where did I get to? Oh yes, the c post rust.
    Here is the bottom of the C post clamped into place

Welded

Primed ready for a spot of filler and paint

Now onto the final bit of welding (or so I thought) before the frame goes back, which is the inner rocker/sill. I know its rusty inside because I've seen it when looking down, but how bad?

So 1 long cut later and the bottom bit is gone

Looks a bit dodgy at the front, so out with my chisel and oops!

Here is the inner panel cut out a bit more so I can see inside and the true extent of the rot

Andy.

Now I really need to cut right to the front, but I can't because the body is being supported there. Hmmmm? I know, I'll media blast the inside as much as I can and then rustproof it till I can get the frame on then remove the fender and cut off the base and reconstruct.

Heres an interesting shot from the inside looking forward towards the front passenger wheelwell

The bolt is the fender bottom one.

Doesn't look too bad now but will still need reconstructing at some point.

While the camera was there, heres a shot the other way inside the rockers towards the rear passenger wheel

Still some more work to do then!!

Andy.

GMN Regular

Awesome work!! Thanks for up-dating with all these pics
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

I really wish I could do this stuff and get the rust under control to my own car.

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

mang that rust goes far

Your a magician.
    1985 GMC 1500

Quote Originally Posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
    Your a magician.
    Nah, just work hard!!

Time to tidy up that inner panel and make a replacement to butt weld in.
    Before that its cheer me up time!

Here are the red powder coated upper A arms for the front suspension. Look sexy!

Okay, thats remotivated me, so lets make a new inner rocker (sill) panel. This has got to be accurate since it will be butt welded all the way round

I have had to make it in 3 sections because I didn't have a single sheet long enough! I will weld them together first on the bench and then weld them in fully.
    The bottom will then be cut level.

I need to treat the inside of the rockers first.

Andy.

Damn dude, that's a helluva lotta work. I wish I had the time and place to do that kinda stuff to my own car.

Interesting choice of color on the frame. With it that low to the ground with big wheels tucked in, isn't it still gonna be kinda hard to see? Unless you get wheels with a lot of open air space in the rim...I don't know, but it looks damn good. I wouldn't mind having a dark red frame, but I don't need nothing flashy.

Keep it coming.

- 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 1994 Ford F150 XL - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist - 2005 H-D Sportster XL1200C

Quote Originally Posted by MrMarquis View Post
    Damn dude, that's a helluva lotta work. I wish I had the time and place to do that kinda stuff to my own car.

Interesting choice of color on the frame. With it that low to the ground with big wheels tucked in, isn't it still gonna be kinda hard to see? Unless you get wheels with a lot of open air space in the rim...I don't know, but it looks damn good. I wouldn't mind having a dark red frame, but I don't need nothing flashy.

Keep it coming.
    Thanks MrMarquis

If you think thats flash, take a look at my camaro that I built myself!!

Might not go quite as far with this, but .................... who knows!

Andy.

That is some damn good work, this car is going to be hot when its done. Keep it up.
    1985 GMC 1500

haha I love the drive shaft.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast