X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres what I plan to do

Cut out this panel cleanly with air saw and drilling out the spot welds

This will leave the way clear to remove this bit nice and clean

That will leave the rocker/sill completely clear for me to remove the last section of it

I can then repair the inner rocker panel and then weld the new repaired panels back!

This is a view of the rust remains that have come out of the rockers and cut out already! These used to be good clean steel!

Andy.

Repair/remake all panels
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

kind of off topic, but looking at the camaro in your sig, if this turns out half as good, its gonna be awesome.
      Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
      New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Very nice work so far. Like so many others, I can't wait to see the finished product!

Packman

Comment

Here we go then with a systematic removal of panels one by one to see where the rust ends!

First bit off in the corner nice and clean

Rounded corner bit next. Here it is with the spot welds drilled and ready to cut along the black line

Wonder how bad it is under here?

Not bad for a change.

Rocker marked for cutting

And out we come

I can see whats happened here. Water has got onto the foam that was inside the panel and run down into the rocker panels gradually rotting it out.

The inner panel is rotten where it is welded to the box section under the floor. So that needs to come out as well

At last, good metal! Here it is cleaned up and media blasted, ready for reconstruction

Andy.
          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I'm impressed so far!!! Looks like you've done this a time or two before, and maybe even have the right Blue Point (or similar) spotweld cutter bit.
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

You make me never want to go deep into my car. I could only imagine the horrors that await
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

one non-stock item to look at would be a 3G alternator, as the originals are a little on the fire hazard side of things. the upgraded alternator would still be OEM.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

So since your frame is already painted I take it your not planning on notching it or anything to make it lay frame. Because I know with a 27'' tall tire combo with no springs in the car the frame is around 3'' from the ground.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                    So since your frame is already painted I take it your not planning on notching it or anything to make it lay frame. Because I know with a 27'' tall tire combo with no springs in the car the frame is around 3'' from the ground.
                    Quite correct.
                    Done that before with an Astro Van and don't want to go down that far.
                    But then again with a gfx kit designed and built, it will be close!

Have you actually tried it then?!!

Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

The sheer amount of patience you must have amazes me, I thought the body work I did was a lot to save a car, you my friend are truly devoted.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                        The sheer amount of patience you must have amazes me, I thought the body work I did was a lot to save a car, you my friend are truly devoted.
                        Thank you

Devoted is easy when you enjoy it! I keep thinking of the end product!!!

I've had plenty of practice with rusty cars here in the UK

Oh for a bit of sunshine! Then I'll show you devotion!

Onwards and upwards....................

This is the back of the outer rocker with the inner rocker cut off.

You can actually see where the water has entered at the top and run down and spread out. The bottom of the outer rocker panels are almost rust free.

In my opinion this is entirelty due to the water being held by that black foam stuff that is injected in for sound deadening. I will make sure this foam is removed from the other side and thoroughly rustproofed also.

This is where I think the water is entering. Through this plug.

Check yours guys!

Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I really enjoy reading your thread so far. dam that sure hides a lot of rust. glad you got the skills

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I've done bags and body drops and things on several trucks but never got around to doing it on a panther. Just layed it down and got some measurements and did a lil brain storming on whats would need to happen to make it lay. On the front I think you can do it with some trimming of the spring pocket and notching the lower a arms will lay the front on a 27'' tall tire which you said you want 20's or better a 255/35/20 is 27 inches tall. I am pretty sure thats the tallest tire that will fit under the hood line when laying frame. Or if your wanting a bigger wheel a 255/25/22 is also 27'' tall. Now in the rear the problem is the 4 link mounts are kinda like right where you need to cut for a notch and such, So it may require you to build you own 4 link in place of the stock after you get the notch made or a 2 link and a watts something like that. Just some things I have noticed if a person where to make one lay frame what would be required.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

I enjoy body work very much as well actually, but I do have my times when I question why the hell Im doing this.

Funny story about the rear quarters on my car, I had it backed on to ramps to do the body work and add metal etc, well after a week of after school toiling and tons of coats of bondo and putty it was time to take it off the ramps. I pulled the car off and heard the ramp shoot out, not a huge deal as it happens quite a bit on our cement floors, well the suspension was so soft it bottomed out on the ramp and crimped the quarter to hell, popping the new metal off and destroying all the work. It was one of those times you just walk away for a bit.
                              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Had a few days off due to the weather and working. But had a chance tonight to cut the new inner sill (rocker) out of the correct 2mm plate steel and drill it for plug welding. Here it is clamped in place

Welded in

I have a week off from tomorrow so should get quite a bit done. Unfortunately Scott hasn't come through with the spacers for the body mounts. So I am now stuffed for at least 2 weeks while I design and make some.

It would be something if he would let me know by email or PM whats happening, but he doesn't. 2 weeks later and I am no further. Disappointing since he offered help in the first place.

Andy.

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X