X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heres a view of the rear of the frame legs before and after the body drop

This is how far the frame sat below the rocker panels before the body drop

This is where the frame is now

I suppose this is why a box cannot sit on the floor because the frame and exhaust sit below the bottom of the rockers, no matter how far its lowered on the springs.

A lot of work though just to be fashionable and radical!!

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

i like your scissors jacks notched out to fit the rocker lip!
      currently i use four bottle jacks on the lip when i take the body away from the frame for body mounts. but my bottle jacks are getting old and two of them keak down after a few hours.
      keep up the awesome work mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I see what you did there.

and it was AWESOME!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

there is one thing that im real curious about. what will the seating be like, in terms of head room and such?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
            there is one thing that im real curious about. what will the seating be like, in terms of head room and such?
            Hi marquisman.
            Good question. I measured about 15cm of head clearance for me, so that's now been reduced to about 5cm! Time will tell. The pedals may be too long so will need the brake pedal shortening and the throttle pedal moving further up.
            The servo fits by the skin of its teeth though!! Heater wont fit, steering angle will be changed slightly, wiring loom moved from behind the dash to on the firewall, and no doubt numerous other things I've not even thought about!!
            Oh, just thought of one....wiper motor wont fit.

The interesting thing will be the doors and the lower seal, which will be higher up. But I've got ideas about that!

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

i definatly look forward to upcomming pics. sounds like you got everything under control

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                i like your scissors jacks notched out to fit the rocker lip!
                currently i use four bottle jacks on the lip when i take the body away from the frame for body mounts. but my bottle jacks are getting old and two of them keak down after a few hours.
                keep up the awesome work mang!
                Well spotted sir! Its the finer details that counts.

Andy.
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                  i definatly look forward to upcomming pics. sounds like you got everything under control
                  Under control may be optimistic!

Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Right, need to weld the floor back in its new place.

Starting at the back (because this is the hardest part!). Heres a view of the back left frame rail

And here's a new mount tack welded in in a new place

And a view from underneath

The plan is to take most of the winter welding the floor back in and then roll out the chassis from underneath and finish weld the body underneath. Then prep and paint.

Chassis back under and start to fit everything back (but of course most things wont fit anymore!!). Engine might be rebuilt by then also.

Phew, this could take some time!!

Andy.
                    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Another layer fabricated to go here

and holes punched in it to spot weld through

Masking tape put on where welds are going to be and etch primed on both plates and welded in

Captive bolt frame modified to fit. Look at the before and after....

and welded in

Sorry about the poor picture.

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I wish I had 1/2 of your fabricating skills. Really great work Andy.
                        -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
                        1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
                        1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
                        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

I wish I had his tools. I could learn the skills.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It looks like you're body dropping it more than you need to lay pinch weld. Are you cutting the pinch off and welding the seam closed and going to the rocker? Or just folding the pinch under? Or going even more than rocker?

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                              It looks like you're body dropping it more than you need to lay pinch weld. Are you cutting the pinch off and welding the seam closed and going to the rocker? Or just folding the pinch under? Or going even more than rocker?
                              Hi.
                              I'm going to lay the car out on the pinch weld. Strong and easier to repair than damaging the rocker itself.

Also, I dont want to end up in a situation where the car is finished and it doesn't quite sit on the floor! Now that would be disappointing! And what would happen if the new wheels/tyres were slightly bigger in rolling radius?
                              I've got to make sure that it lays out, no matter what!!

Andy.
                              www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Spent last few days trying to not sell my Mark 8!! Don't tell my Wife!

Anyway, I'm working from the back to the front welding the floor back in and the various associated panels.

Here's where the rear floor ended up when it went further up into the body (red arrow)

Here's the section I cut out (photographed it out of order!! Sorry.

This is so I could weld it back further down

Corner gaps welded up with filler strips

Here's a card template made of the new side panel being made to tie the rear of the car (D post) to the inner wheel arch.

Make it out of steel tomorrow.

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X