1990 country squire resto/lowrider in UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trial fitted the side panel and a right angled strip

Strip spot welded in on top of rust proofing fluid that has now flowed all over because of the welding heat

Vertical panel etch primed on the planned tough to reach areas and spot welded in

Next I will produce a second vertical wall running alongside this one and close it all off to mimick the factory setup.

Andy.
    www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Starting to close off the side section with the boxing in of the frame captive nut

Top section made and clamped in place. This will be spot welded and plug welded in- but not before sealing it all inside with rustproofer.

Andy.

Gonna be a looong cold winter in the garage.
      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Trying to close off the back left corner now.

Quick reminder of state of play

Here's the closing off side section and the top being spotwelded together

And the finished product

Here it is in place as a quick check for fit

Tomorrow it will be removed and seam sealed inside and etch primed, then fully rustproofed before finally welding in.

Andy.
        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

nice work andy you should make access hole for other body mount.actually you should make access holes for all mounts now that you can

Comment

Originally posted by rellik god View Post
            nice work andy you should make access hole for other body mount.actually you should make access holes for all mounts now that you can
            Hi rellik god.
            Great minds think alike! That was my next job. A nice flared hole for the forward most body mount and a few more smaller ones for rustproofing purposes.

Andy.
            www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I'm not sure how many times I can say wow, but I haven't hit the limit yet. Wow!

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Rectangular body mount access hole cut out and edges flared to retain some rigidity.

3 more access holes created by my sheet metal punch

Welded joints seam sealed and inside of panels etch primed and painted white for rust protection once it is all welded in and inaccessible

All welded in...

Tomorrow I'm going to etch prime, prime and paint that area green - just to see what it may look like when the cars painted!! Bit of motivation............!

Andy.
                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  I wish I had his tools. I could learn the skills.
                  I built up the skills and built up my tool collection at the same time!! The spot welder for example, I bought in the early 80's!! Oxy acetylene equipment at about the same time and my first MIG welder about 1986. Everything else just evolved after that.

Andy.
                  www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Amazing work again Andy. Keep it up. This thing will be so cool looking once complete. Heck it is cool looking now seeing all of your craftsmanship. Will be a shame when it is all covered up.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Amazing work again Andy. Keep it up. This thing will be so cool looking once complete. Heck it is cool looking now seeing all of your craftsmanship. Will be a shame when it is all covered up.
                      Hi 87gtVIC.
                      If mine looks anywhere near as cool as yours I'll be a happy man. I still follow your build with interest.

onto the other side.
                      In this shot you can see the edge of the floor and where it has been cut from the rest of the body

Heres a view from above that shows how much of a gap I have got to fill! Its taken from the top downwards if you are trying to figure it out

Heres the first side panel made up to fill that gap and a right angled section spotwelded on for the floor to be welded to

Welded in and thoroughly rustproofed before anything else

Cardboard template made up for next section

Transferred to steel and here is how I put the right angled bends in

Card template made of side section

More soon...........

Andy.
                      www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

New steel cut and shaped and offered for trial fit. Not bad!

Now needs the body mount access hole and rustproofer access holes. Here is the way I get the flares on the corners...with a 3/8" extension bar and a hammer! And some mole wrenches to start the bends off.

Before it gets welded in the whole interior section gets further rustproofing and the new steel gets seam sealed, etch primed and painted white (spare colour left from previous touch ups when the car used to be white!!

Now I've got to wait for the paint and rustproofer to set/go off before welding otherwise it all goes up in flames. Still produces loads of smoke though!

Andy.
                        www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

2 random sexy pics of my Lincoln Mark 8 awaiting springtime again! One photo taken at my Mum's house and the other taken at a local supermarket

Andy.
                          www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

I dont know if this has been asked but, are 'merican cars pretty common in the UK? Or do you get lots of looks?

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that both of Andy's rides are a rare sight in the UK. The fuel economy alone (with the crazy gas prices over there) would probably be the number one reason.
                              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                              Past Panthers
                              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                                I dont know if this has been asked but, are 'merican cars pretty common in the UK? Or do you get lots of looks?
                                Hi Marquisman.
                                Very rare to see any on the roads here in the UK. But then I went to a show near London last year and 7000 turned up in one place!! Then they all disappeared back to their garages till next time!!
                                They certainly have got a dedicated following over here, but is certainly diminishing due to running costs (as tjc78 quite correctly states).

But I for one am not going to give mine up without a fight!!!

Andy.
                                www.lowcamaro.com

Comment

Working...
                                X