My 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2-Door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 1983 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2-Door

Well this is my Grand Marquis. I got this car back in New Jersey for $350 what a deal. It had a 302 Windsor in it but i replaced it with a 351 Windsor that came out of a 84 crown vic police interceptor. It is fuel injected though i really have problems with EEC III CFI systems such as hesitating on acceleration. Unfortunately i have to upload more pics tomorrow of it. The interior is immaculate though when i took it for inspection the guy thought the horn was located in the middle of the steering wheel and he broke my plastic casing in the center of the steering wheel. I can't find another one. If you guys happen to have a spare plastic case that goes in the center of the steering wheel i would love if you would mail one up here to pa for me. i will also post some videos of it and when it had the 302.

Here a view of the car

Here's the 351 i put in there

right now the cars in the shop. i am having the frame welded under the control arm as there is a rust hole there, it's not rotted though so it's repairable. I am also going to be spray painting the valve covers anodized chrome and the air cleaner. The distributor cap i want to spray paint red. the cylinder blocks are going to be spray painted metallic silver. i then in the future am going to equip a Walker Dual Exhaust System on it.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Nice car, as for the wheel I would have broken the guys face and demanded he find me a new one, I always go in with my car to inspection and operate the blinkers and horn etc for the guy, as it is my belief that everyone who is not me is incompetent, maybe that is a little harsh though. Im going to the scrapyard tomorrow if I see a cap for the wheel that year Ill yank it, even if its the wrong color you can dye it at least.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

fine with me as long as it's clear.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Oh, sorry im not familiar with that years interior, My wheel is airbag so its the color of the interior.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

yeah my horn is located on the turn signal stalk.

Comment

That's a really nice looking tudor you got there man. If I was to ever buy myself a tudor it would be a Marquis for sure. Looks to be the same color as my sedan as well, which is Midnight Canyon Red Metallic.

Take good care of er'

Comment

This color is actually called Maroon on the Grand Marquis.

Comment

nice merc, i cant wait to get my 2door out from the paint shop

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

heres a video of it when it was in snow of october 2008.

here's a cold start of it after sitting in the cold for five months

more vids on it can be found at

www.youtube.com/user/MattsGrandMarquis

the vids on youtube of it will also show you the inspection fail. and the piece that the inspection guy broke so you can see what it looks like.

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                  Oh, sorry im not familiar with that years interior, My wheel is airbag so its the color of the interior.
                  did you happen to see my inspection fail videos on it and saw what part broke. its the steering wheel cap. it must be clear. you will find it on 1979-1984 lincolns and mercury grand marquis.

Comment

Welcome to GMN...Nice coupe!
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

My personal experience with 1983 EEC III CFI is that there is nothing worse on the planet. Fuel consumption of a V-16 with the power of a Briggs & Stratton. Contracting AIDS would be better than troubleshooting that bullshit.

Fun things about mine: The high idle cam decided to stick the car at about 2/3 throttle while in traffic. Good thing the '98+ brakes had no difficulty with the 28 horsepower. On the other end of the spectrum, though, one of the injectors likes to cut out while you are attempting to merge with traffic, leaving you with an odd-fire 4-cylinder engine dragging 4 dead cylinders and 4000 pounds. Besides those dangers, there is the slight annoyance of the extreme bucking that occurs at 54-57 MPH and light throttle... absolutely wonderful what with that pesky 55 MPH speed limit and all. I can't wait to bolt on a carburetor.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
                      1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

So you have the original EEC III 302 injection on top of a 351? Well thats probably why it doesn't work exactly right, in addition to the general EEC III whackiness. The 351 needs more fuel than the 302 does, so the fuel metering is going to be wrong. Honestly, I'd strongly consider converting that to a multiport injection system, though with the 351 that adds it's own challenges. A carb is also a valid option if you can get it through. The 351 is wider, and its not the same block so the intakes aren't the same. The distributor is also different. Trust me on this, you do not want a 302 EEC III system on top of a 351. Its just not gonna work right.

The air injection pipe is missing. Looks like the cats were replaced and the old tube had rotted away. Ideally you want that replaced with metal. The rubber stuff is spendy, and it kind of melts after a while. The frame rot problem is typical. The AC drain dumps right there and it rots away. Easily fixed with some plate steel and a welder. Messy job, but its not the end of the car. Rot on the end of the frame is not so typical, but still not a big deal. Trunk pan rust is also not a big deal. Did that come from upstate NJ, or was it garaged? Looks like a car that sat in the garage a lot with salt and crap on it.

o god, compression fittings. make that go away.
                        Last edited by gadget73; 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nice car mang!

i agree 100% with what gadget73 said about cfi on a 351w

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            So you have the original EEC III 302 injection on top of a 351? Well thats probably why it doesn't work exactly right, in addition to the general EEC III whackiness. The 351 needs more fuel than the 302 does, so the fuel metering is going to be wrong. Honestly, I'd strongly consider converting that to a multiport injection system, though with the 351 that adds it's own challenges. A carb is also a valid option if you can get it through. The 351 is wider, and its not the same block so the intakes aren't the same. The distributor is also different. Trust me on this, you do not want a 302 EEC III system on top of a 351. Its just not gonna work right.

The air injection pipe is missing. Looks like the cats were replaced and the old tube had rotted away. Ideally you want that replaced with metal. The rubber stuff is spendy, and it kind of melts after a while. The frame rot problem is typical. The AC drain dumps right there and it rots away. Easily fixed with some plate steel and a welder. Messy job, but its not the end of the car. Rot on the end of the frame is not so typical, but still not a big deal. Trunk pan rust is also not a big deal. Did that come from upstate NJ, or was it garaged? Looks like a car that sat in the garage a lot with salt and crap on it.

o god, compression fittings. make that go away.

The car when we got it was on a farm and was used as a 4X4 there was mud all over it and in the engine. Guy was a complete idiot. The cars not meant for 4x4. When i got the car it always sat outside in the driveway.

Comment

Well i went to the shop today and got some more pics of my car for you guys. I would have gotten more but i didn't want to get caught by my teacher. Pics were taken in my local schools shop. i am having a peice of brake line replaced due to compression fittings i had on there. will post pics when the project is done. this will also be my thread for any work in progress i am doing. The 302 is in and running strong.

Heres pics

My oh so comfortable Red Velour Interior with Police Interceptor sign on dashboard.

My Turbine wheels, quite filthy.

Back View, the car is dirty after the brake lines i will get her washed.(I have a Custom exhaust tip on it).

Front View

More Pics To Come.

Comment

Working...
                              X