New wheels opinions needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
    Okay so the main question now is, do you all think I will have any stopping problems on stock front brakes with discs out back.... bringing it down from say oh a 130mph run in the 1/4 then time to cool between runs ? Or do you think if im running that fast I should upgrade ? Mustang guys do it with stock brakes why not me ? And yes I do realize how fast a 130mph in the quarter is.
    Better have some good pads and fresh fluid to handle high temps. Oh and BTW, Fox brakes suck camel smegma.

Comment

I had planned on upgrading the rear for sure because like you said there are a million brake kits that fit 15's but the front is the problem anything bigger than stock requires at least a 16'' wheel. Of course I suppose I could just run a big spacer on a 15'' wheel like the mustang guys with cobra brakes do. I dunno the back is not a prob but the front is stressing me out lol.
      Maybe a set of these up front? They give a lot of room for brakes.

Expensive to buy new but people sell 'em used pretty cheap. Great all around wheel - they are featherlight.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post

Hideous.

You should definitely go with 15s.
        Hey, I didn't complain when you plastered your truck's back window with more bumper stickers than you'd see at a Honor Student meeting, did I? No? Then leave me and my delusional Jeep throwback wheel idea alone.

Comment

Okay so the main question now is, do you all think I will have any stopping problems on stock front brakes with discs out back.... bringing it down from say oh a 130mph run in the 1/4 then time to cool between runs ? Or do you think if im running that fast I should upgrade ? Mustang guys do it with stock brakes why not me ? And yes I do realize how fast a 130mph in the quarter is.
          Running with somewhat-wimpy brakes isn't that big of a deal at the dragstrip.

It is entirely different, however, running wimpy brakes out on the street.

I don't know what size 15" tires you're planning on running, so I can't comment upon what brake mods you can do with a Fox body and 15" brakes, but I do have two ideas that are fairly simple to implement.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
            I don't know what size 15" tires you're planning on running, so I can't comment upon what brake mods you can do with a Fox body and 15" brakes, but I do have two ideas that are fairly simple to implement.

Sounds to me like he's thinking along the lines of these two:

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
              Hey, I didn't complain when you plastered your truck's back window with more bumper stickers than you'd see at a Honor Student meeting, did I? No? Then leave me and my delusional Jeep throwback wheel idea alone.
              Have you ever seen the rear window of my truck?

At one time I had a Dodge decal, a Mopar decal, a Superchips decal, and a Direct Connection decal. At one time...

Thats the way a good ole boy/ redneck decorates the rear window of his truck, where I'm from.

At this point in time its clean, though... 'cause I'm a less is more type of mang.

Whereas I have done something about the sole flaw in my life, you continue to go on having visions of grandeur about hideous Jeep wheels on a box Grand Marq.

And I'll have you know that I attended many honor student meetings, too... and there were stickers on my mother's car... lots of them. 4 honors students...
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

What is meant by "honor student" in this context? You must not mean the NHS, as at my schools they allowed practically anybody into the NHS, including kids who talked openly of being druggies and those who made me livid with their ignorance in physics class, so membership in that organization apparently means about the same as getting an "academic honors diploma" and as such is nothing to brag about. And come to think of it, as of 1998 anyway, the only known benefit to being an NHS member was wearing a different-color tassel at gradiation, unless you consider it a benefit to attend "meetings" of unknown purpose with every druggie in the school who happened not to be failing study hall.

On a less-threadjacking topic, what's this thread doing in the muscle section, when it has little to do with making 300-plus horsepower?

Also, I forgot to post this link in here ... a lot of these auctions are ended now, but they have some neat wheels in them: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ht=neato+wheel
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                  Have you ever seen the rear window of my truck?

At one time I had a Dodge decal, a Mopar decal, a Superchips decal, and a Direct Connection decal. At one time...

Thats the way a good ole boy/ redneck decorates the rear window of his truck, where I'm from.

At this point in time its clean, though... 'cause I'm a less is more type of mang.

Whereas I have done something about the sole flaw in my life, you continue to go on having visions of grandeur about hideous Jeep wheels on a box Grand Marq.

And I'll have you know that I attended many honor student meetings, too... and there were stickers on my mother's car... lots of them. 4 honors students...
                  It's good to see that my mental powers are still working, because I spent the better part of six months using my telekinetic mind-changing force on you in an effort to get rid of those hideous 'My Honor Student Can Beat Up Your Honor Student', 'I Sleep With Dodges!', and 'Did I mention that I drive a Dodge?' bumper stickers....and it looks like it worked, so nyah.

And besides, just because you don't have a good sense for what wheel looks good on what car, please don't heap abuse upon me simply because I do.

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

On a less-threadjacking topic, what's this thread doing in the muscle section, when it has little to do with making 300-plus horsepower?
                  This absolves you of no responsibility; both you and the Other White Nate are guilty of jacking this thread, and I'm reporting the both of you to the proper authorities.

You should both be ashamed of yourselves. Hijacking a tech thread! What's next? A singing, dancing mouse, with his own amusement park???

Comment

165R15 tires would work for your front runners. They are 25.2" diameter, and plenty skinny enough.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

If I go with 15's it will have this for my big-n-little combo

Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

or I could just say F it and do the big brake swap and run these on the front when I need a skinny, painted black of course they have a somewhat similar look to a 16 police wheel maybe lol

and these on widened 16'' police wheels

Performance Automotive Parts from Accel Billet Edelbrock MSD VDO. JEGS is the source for performance parts with Same Day Shipping.

hmmm

Also I put it in the panther muscle forum since I plan on this setup with more than 300 hp and the guys with faster panthers may be interested in a
                      big-n-little setup for big brakes. My mistake if I was wrong sorry.

edit

or if I was ballin outta control I could run these on the front they are teh secks but so expensive

Last edited by 1980c10; 02-02-2010, 04:30 PM.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Uh, what car is this going on, again?

Comment

Its going on this

with a dart based 408

and this little guy to help out the power situation

next to my stock 5.0 for size comparison

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

Its going on this

with a dart based 408

and this little guy to help out the power situation

next to my stock 5.0 for size comparison

I hope you don't plan on driving this thing on the street with 165r15 tires up front....

Comment

I'm going to guess that if he did he wouldn't be really pushing it speed-wise, or so i'd think not if he wanted to have a pleasant experience, lol.

Comment

I have the black soft 8's on my 85 and I have '02 HPP wheels on the 97. The soft 8's are heavy (the 15X10 are like 35#'s). The HPP are lighter but are only 17x7, my 255\50R17 nittos are stuffed on them. I'd like to get them widened to 9" to run 275s or so
                                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Working...
                                X