dash surgery 1990-91 crown vic (DUW)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dash surgery 1990-91 crown vic (DUW)

I just put some new bulbs in, some of the 5 bulb ones I bought real cheap started fucking up. The center bulb went out on all but one of them so I had one bright spot on my dash and the rest sort of visible. Anyway, I've seen people asking about dash surgery on 90-91 models and here are a few photos that might help

before

- pop off the long skinny piece of dash trim on either side of the steering column and it'll look like this:

You'll need to take these guys out too, in order to remove the plate under the steering column to reach up and push the light buton. 8mm. There are 2 on the bottom and 3 in the dash

the underside of the light switch:

switch pulled out

there are a few of these screws facing downward that you will have to take care of. 7mm IIRC...there might be 5 of them total holding that bezel from the top. Check the first few pics for shots of the locations of the forward facing ones. I forget how many of the forward facing ones there are but I'd imagine you lot can count.

pull the bezel off

put the light switch back in so you can turn the lights back off (if you didn't disconnect the battery for the job...i didn't because i wanted music)

clear cover needs to come off

another black bezel comes off

various stages of disassembly:

old blue bulbs that started fucking up

new bulbs (new red bulb in the bright light socket too)

key on w/ 4 ways before i put blue bulbs in the signals, one green bulb was wearing out but i didn't have any green replacements.
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

That is allot harder than the older cars.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

They still left two big holes in the instrument cluster backing piece...are those the location of the bulbs in yours?

sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

No. Our cluster is entirely different. Both front and back.
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

wild. I think my dash might be quite similar to the 92-94 cars but I can't say about newer cars
          sigpic

Comment

You can pull the whole cluster out and replace them from behind if you want...

That sucks so many of the bulbs went bad. I'd complain! the first batch I got were great quality, had clear bases, were wired for both polarities and were noticeably heavier than the next ones I got... every new batch came from a different source. They had colored bases, only work one way and seemed to have a bulb or two do something funky... one of them has been disco flashing for a while... luckily none in my clusters have been acting up
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I complained but sending them back seems like too much trouble.

I'd probably have pulled the whole cluster out but I don't know how to disconnect that speedometer/transmission cable thinger.
              sigpic

Comment

90-91 vic and gmq clusters are similar to 92-93 gmq clusters, 92+ vic and 94+ gmq ones start the circular instruments.
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  I'd probably have pulled the whole cluster out but I don't know how to disconnect that speedometer/transmission cable thinger.
                  You don't have one silly - 90+ are all electronic
                  sigpic

Comment

I got good quality 5 light LEDS from lightlens.com. My order was from January 2008 so I guess they could have went to cheaper bulbs as well from then till now. I ordered 6 green bulbs (came out to about 40 bucks) and they all still work till this day!
                    ~David~

Comment

There's a white cable coming down from the cluster to a point under the steering column?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                        There's a white cable coming down from the cluster to a point under the steering column?
                        that is connected to your gear selector me thinks.
                        ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          that is connected to your gear selector me thinks.

Whatever it is, that's what I don't know how to disconnect
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                            You don't have one silly - 90+ are all electronic

and there's the wiring coming from the back that I don't know how to disconnect either, so leaving it in the car while i do it is the best option for me
                            sigpic

Comment

Thats the gear indicator cable, you just have to slip the loop end off the little nipple on the lever attached to the selector shaft in the steering column. You can see it and get your finger on it if you look around in there. Then unbolt the adjuster piece where you see it attached to the column and it will all come out with the cluster. Your way works fine too... and actaully makes it easier to test them before you put it all back.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X