Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LEDs = way brighter
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

night time

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...309#post508309
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i meant a cluster from a '90-'91 merc lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Wow you definitely did this the hard way.
          The cable coming down from the speedo to the shifter has a loop that slips over a little lever on the shifter. Just pull it off with a pair of needle nose.

Then, tilt the wheel down, pull the cluster forward, and reach around the back. There are two wiring harnesses that go into the back of the cluster. Each one has little connectors that if you squeeze the sides of them, they'll unplug as a whole from the cluster. Then pull the whole fucker out.

Lol @ silly canadian speedo that goes to 200.
          Originally posted by gadget73
          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

all LED 194 replacements

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Do you mind me asking what you got for LEDs, just any replacement 194s or is there a brand you recommend, I really am looking forward to this.
              "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
              1985 GMC 1500

Comment

There are at least a dozen different styles of them on ebay, no way to tell who has better quality ones. They are all probably coming from the same place in hong kong anyway.

The style Ive got in mine have gotten pretty damn affordable and work well as you can see.
                This is the best deal i could find - 10 of them for $18 shipped. You need EIGHT of them just for the back-lighting of a 90-91 style cluster!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10x-1...item27af355fe6

The crazy new ones rage anywhere from $5 to $30 for a pair. Being used inside an instrument cluster Id say most of them would be overkill... some will definitely work a lot better, and could even be too bright.
                90-91 clusters use light collectors made of an optic plastic to pull light from right in front of the bulbs and spread it through the face.
                I bet you could even get away with using the even cheaper, even older, bullet shaped and very directional bulbs in those clusters. I bet you could find them for less than a buck each... the same ones you can buy at autozone for $12 a pair.
                89 and older clusters are the opposite - they NEED the best side emitting style bulbs they can get because the light has to get all the way out and around the instruments to light them up.
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah I just want my display brighter, Im thinking im going to order 20, I need to do under the dash and the climate control, 40 bucks isn't too bad, and ill have extra. Thanks.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Just thought about it and I only payed 50 for the speedo, ahah oh well it is SO worth it.
                    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      There are at least a dozen different styles of them on ebay, no way to tell who has better quality ones. They are all probably coming from the same place in hong kong anyway.

The style Ive got in mine have gotten pretty damn affordable and work well as you can see.
                      This is the best deal i could find - 10 of them for $18 shipped. You need EIGHT of them just for the back-lighting of a 90-91 style cluster!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10x-1...item27af355fe6

The crazy new ones rage anywhere from $5 to $30 for a pair. Being used inside an instrument cluster Id say most of them would be overkill... some will definitely work a lot better, and could even be too bright.
                      90-91 clusters use light collectors made of an optic plastic to pull light from right in front of the bulbs and spread it through the face.
                      I bet you could even get away with using the even cheaper, even older, bullet shaped and very directional bulbs in those clusters. I bet you could find them for less than a buck each... the same ones you can buy at autozone for $12 a pair.
                      89 and older clusters are the opposite - they NEED the best side emitting style bulbs they can get because the light has to get all the way out and around the instruments to light them up.

I tried the bullet ones when I had mine apart, I bought a lot of 10 out of curiosity....wish I took a pic of that. One or two of them could work as unidirectional bulbs but mixing and matching wouldn't look the best, as the bullet ones I got are darker than the 5-ways. I have them in my blinkers.
                      Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-12-2010, 12:31 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Paypal is fucking up, I hate ebay so much sometimes.
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

So, the bulbs I got shit the bed on me again. I bought some of the bullet-shaped unidirectional ones and they actually don't look half bad...it's obvious where the bulb is in the center but like I said, not half bad. Not too bright and definitely not dim.

The 5 bulb LEDs were dying one bulb at a time, and the ones that had dead bulbs (two or three were ok) were dimmer on all the rest of the ones actually lit. I took the cluster out of the car, unscrewed and tightened all of the twist-in sockets to make sure it wasn't a bad connection or something, but they were all the same. Fucked.
                          sigpic

Comment

egads...! that really sucks. What eBay seller have you been getting those from? I wanna make sure i don't get any from that guy.... lol

Do you have any kind of voltmeter you can check your charging voltage with? You might be over-charging slightly, I doubt they are protected from that.
                            sigpic

Comment

Been from totally different sellers every time actually haha

I have a multimeter but it's put back together now so I can't really check it at this time

Can I just stick the prongs of the multimeter on the +/- in the socket when the lights are on?
                              sigpic

Comment

socket of the bulb? YES But make sure the prongs are not touching while you are doing that or you will blow the meters fuse and possibly the fuse for the headlights.
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X