No announcement yet.

Proof emissions testing is a SCAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet in the next ten years or so, there will be a bill introduced to Congress that suggests every state in the USA to outlaw every car built before a certain year, like 2006. Also, they will soften the blow by offering incentives (much like cash for clunkers) for those who comply. Or it'll be like Japan, where nobody drives a car more than a few years, not because its "illegal" to, but just because they make it WAAAAY too expensive to keep up with their strict emissions.

Try Jiffy Lube, they always pass my cars, no matter what, and I don't even have to bribe anyone ^^ They don't even pop the hood lol.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

So you failed visual inspection. Most states have that if they actually bother to really look for the shit is a different story. I ought to fail Jersey inspection, but they don't look for anything to notice its missing. the sniffer passes with flying colors so I don't really see why it matters all that much.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by andymac0035 View Post
        I thought it was 96+ (OBD-II)?
        Even that (95 and older) seems to be getting sketchy lately.
        Ive been known to be wrong, haha, I know im safe though.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
          reman smog pumps are around 40 bucks
          i have a working one here that is less than a yr old but it's a tad noisy if you need it
          Where mang? Mine was 100 bucks.

Comment

"Idiot" maneuvers I've run into by testers - all at the state facilities, as I was always too cheap to pay a mechanic to do it. All these are in New Jersey:

1) In the 1990s I had a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport, 318. They saw a noticeably older car, so they lifted it and wiggled the front tires around. Failed me for a loose front end, and nothing else. Went back a week later, claiming that my friend adjusted the steering box (a lie). They checked it and wiggled the wheels, and I passed.

2) Same Dart Sport, a year earlier, I had failed emissions for CO. I adjusted the carb, changed the plugs, and went to the "back door" check - where they don't redo the whole thing, just check the item(s) that you failed for. I shut the car off because the guy said it'd be a few minutes before he could get to me. When he did, he told me to fire it up and stuck the probe in BEFORE I started the car. Needless to say, while my CO was now clean, my HC was through the roof, and I failed again. Drove back a week later, didn't shut the car off because I didn't have to wait, and passed with flying colors.

3) Mid-80s Honda Accord - yeah, it was beat up, yeah it had nearly 200K miles on it - but they failed me for a cracked tail-light lens. Didn't want to put money in this POS, but since there were no sharp edges and no missing pieces (you could see a several inch long crack in the lens, but couldn't feel anything out of place), I wondered why they failed me. Somewhere I came across the details of what can pass and fail by statute... it turns out that they can warn you of that, but if there's no while light showing because of missing pieces, and no jagged edges, they can ONLY advise you of it, can't fail you for it. Went back, showed them the Administrative Code printout, and passed.

On the other hand:

1) A friend's 1978 Cadillac . . failed, in fact got the 48-hour-warning thing, which he was pissed about, BUT . . several techs were spending a LONG time looking under the hood . . looking for SOMEthing but we had no idea what. Finally someone else came out, looked under the hood for 2 seconds, pointed to something, and then closed the hood. Fuel pump was spitting tiny amounts of fuel out. This I could understand as being a fire hazard.

2) I had a 1984 Regal - for about 2 weeks before inspection, I was afraid something was up with the trans. Every time I stepped on the gas, the engine would respond right away, but it felt like there was a split-second delay before the drivetrain would "catch" . . . took it to inspection, and the guy going to do the brake test - who looked like Slash's overweight brother - was about to start, stopped abruptly, opened the hood, looked under for maybe a few seconds, closed the hood, jotted something down on the card, and continued. Everything passed except for the broken driver's side motor mount. THAT was causing the symptoms I was feeling.

Ok, long-winded and meandering, I know . . there are apparently inept inspectors, and there are surprisingly competent ones who'll instantly catch things that you wind up glad they found.

Overall though, my own personal view is, if the car can pass the emissions standards throughout its operating range, who the hell cares WHAT emissions devices, if any, are on it?

Heck, I've heard tales (though never known anyone in person it happened to) that you can't even INCREASE the number of catalytic converters. So, you go from a single exhaust with one catalyst to a dual with two, which should technically make things equal if not somewhat cleaner, but it's a violation.

Meh . . I say if it's clean, it's clean, regardless of what tech or lack thereof it uses to get there.
            1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
            Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
            Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
            Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Well, went to a pick n pull yesterday and found 2 pumps, but both were locked up. Gonna call a couple other yards and see what they may have. Snowed here last night, so I don't really feel like crawling around in the snow & mud.

Lincolnmania & 1987cp, appreciate the offers, I may take you up on it, but right now I'd like to see if I can find one locally seeing as I only have 10 days for a FREE retest. The cheapest remanned pump I can find is $70 at Autozone, but I really don't want to go that route. (I will not buy ANYTHING from Autozone!) This thing is probably gonna come off as soon as it passes the test.

I have to agree with Gadget & KING V, who cares what is on the car as long as it passes the EMISSIONS specs, it's an emissions test, NOT a safety inspection!

Comment

I totally agree, if the car passed the sniffer, it is running right, (probably better then new) leave the person alone. Up here in North central B.C there is no emissions tests *BUT* ICBC(Insurance Coperation of B.C) has been offering free E-tests to anyone who wants them for a few days every summer.

Alot of us locals pretty much have it figured that they are getting a feel for the money that can be made in the area if they bring it in. You drive by the site and you see some of the biggest peices of shit in town there for testing, obviously burning oil, running rich etc. and the retards wonder why they failed, now because of thier stupidity, there is a good chance we will have it in the next few years too.

Pretty sure I'm screwed. This is after the first 20 seconds on a cold start... (The infamous 5.2/5.9L Magnum plenum gasket failure)
                Attached Files
                1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
                  *BUT* ICBC(Insurance Coperation of B.C) has been offering free E-tests to anyone who wants them for a few days every summer.
                  Heck, with something like that, I'd even use it for cars that I don't have to get emissions checked (ie: registered classic or historic, or not due yet) just to check and see if everything's running right.

After all, some sort of suddenly aberrant emissions reading, where it wasn't problem before, would indicate something not functioning properly or on its way out, wouldn't it? Or maybe just (over)due for a tune up?
                  1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
                  Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
                  Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
                  Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

They failed you because you made a conscious decision to do something that increased your emissions. What did you expect?

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                      They failed you because you made a conscious decision to do something that increased your emissions. What did you expect?
                      Was candy too much to ask for?
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

nah, any self-respecting auto shop SHOULD have a complimentary candy bowl. They should also blow the whistle on people breaking state and federal emissions laws.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

The ford dealership has donuts and coffee, but I still don't trust them with my car.
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Except he still passed with flying colors...
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Except he still passed with flying colors...
                              and would have passed with even prettier colours if he hadn't intentionally removed an emissions device.

Comment

and would have passed with even prettier colours if he hadn't intentionally removed an emissions device.
                                Really? Got any data to back up this claim?

The air I'm breathing doesn't care what precise methods of treatment it has or hasn't received to reach a certain level of purity .... maybe the air has different opinions where you live?
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X