Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmmm prius death
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

the air pump will be useless without cats. If you don't have cats, the air pump won't affect your tailpipe emissions. If you can pass without cats, the air pump won't change that.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Not necessarily.

Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm going from rusty memory here, and some of the weird plumbing I've seen, but some cars had the whole Thermactor/AIR system even before 1975.

As I understand it, it does not actually work to dilute the exhaust by adding air to it - that's basically defeating the purpose. However, that side effect CAN occur if things aren't working properly in the rest of the system.

The theory, from what I'm told, is that it can add fresh air to the cats to help speed up and/or complete the CO->CO2 conversion process that catalysts are supposed to do in the first place. Though, I don't believe this was the case with cats in the 1970s, only the 1980s and later.

Don't hold me to that last sentence.

BUT . . the AIR injection system is also plumbed in some (numerous?) cars directly into the exhaust manifolds right at the exhaust port. The theory in this case is that when the exhaust gases are at their absolute hottest point, injecting fresh air helps convert CO into CO2 even before it gets to the cats.

I'm also given to understand that the 351M/400M motors somehow had an internalized version of this that didn't require a smog pump or the tubing. Again, that's just bits and pieces of heard/misheard information on my part. Not sure how accurate that part is.

Anyway, those are the scraps of what I know of the Thermactor/AIR system. It's probably a little more detailed than that.
        1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
        Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
        Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
        Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

Air pumped into the manifolds would have some effect with or without cats, but air pumped into the pipes where the cats used to be would do nothing.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

The only air I want pumped anywhere is into my intake.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The air stops being pumped into the heads after a few minutes because it would mess with the oxygen sensor readings otherwise. It only pumps air back there maybe 5 minutes or so after startup, then its diverted to the converter or to atmosphere, depending on operating conditions. At idle when the engine is fully warmed, air goes to atmosphere. The only time it really puts air to the converters is while driving because the airflow under the vehicle cools them off. If you get the engine fully warmed up and drive 5-10 minutes, it will read the same idle emissions with or without the smog pump. Its a system that does so little it may as well not even be there. Ford even realized that, and totally did away with all that BS on the Explorer 302.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Did the Explorer 302 have it previously?

Reason I ask is because I thought the Explorer, like almost all SUVs (and minivans for a while) wasn't considered, for legal purposes, a "passenger vehicle" and thus had more lax emissions requirements.

I know there were changes in that loophole planned - I think they finally officially declared minivans to be passenger vehicles for emissions purposes. Not sure about SUVs at this point.
                Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.

Comment

no provisions exist on the gt40 or gt40p head for the smog pump, so it was never there on the Explorer. I don't know about the 93 Cobra, but it had those same heads. Possible the 93 Cobra version had the smog ports, I don't know.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Take this with a grain of salt, because I'm going from rusty memory here, and some of the weird plumbing I've seen, but some cars had the whole Thermactor/AIR system even before 1975.
                    That is correct. AIR pumps where on cars long before cats came along. And not all cars with CAT converters had AIR injection either. AIR injection is to burn off remaining fuel in the exhaust-not all, but thats why its there. Injecting air into the cats is just is a side benifit as far as emmisions are concerned.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      no provisions exist on the gt40 or gt40p head for the smog pump, so it was never there on the Explorer. I don't know about the 93 Cobra, but it had those same heads. Possible the 93 Cobra version had the smog ports, I don't know.
                      So if I run the gt40p heads I plan to on my engine, does that mean bye bye smog, doesn't bother me a bit, just wondering.
                      "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

my bros '83 trans-am with a 305HO dont have an air pump lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

LOL, but *did* it once?

Sorta reminds me, buddy of mine had what I think was a 1980 Firebird once. Some "expert" friends of his removed the "smog pump" claiming it wasn't needed.

Well, for whatever reason, I was taking a look at it to fix some minor thing, maybe do a tune up, I can't remember. Then the following conversation took place:

ME: I thought you said that those guys removed the smog pump?

BUDDY: They did.

ME: It's still here. It's right here (points to intact, connected and belted smog pump)

BUDDY: (goes to trunk and points out item) Then what's this?

ME: That is the reason you no longer have air conditioning.

Morons removed the compressor....

Comment

I just pissed myself ^
                            "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                              So if I run the gt40p heads I plan to on my engine, does that mean bye bye smog, doesn't bother me a bit, just wondering.
                              Couldn't you technically still bolt the smog shit to the back of the heads? It just wouldn't do anything being there.
                              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah, I think you can just bolt it all up so that it vents to the underhood air instead of going into the head. Probably sounds weird, but also probably simpler than yanking the whole system or drilling the heads so that the pump works (can that be done?)

Comment

Working...
                                X