Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking notes and taken pointers....

Ok, New guy here.

I've got a 88 G.m. with 72,ooo miles on it. The car was given to me,with a bad/smoked trans The TV cable was broken- thats what smoked the trans. $900.00 later,all is good!! The car runs good,I feel it can get better MPG. No MIL lights. With the new trans- step on it, IT GOES!! The car has ALOT of OE parts- ie from 88- the Oe wires and dist.cap is on still. I'm given it a full tune up. On Sat. I took off the upper Plemium. Found that it has been off before. Still I'm changing the PCV and filter(it's been change before) Valve covers are leaking- changing them. Heater hose are OE and hard as a rock,with the U.P.off. going to change the hoses. Change most vacume hoses. I've been read a lot of post on differnt things here. Hear are my 2 question.
    1. With nearly 100% access to things,should change the o2 sensor. I saw on some post it's not that important to change. Even thou it's old OBD1 stuff don't this have some effect on fuel imput( or lack off fuel) I belive this is called fuel trim...?
    2. Any other pointers can you give me while I'm doing this full service?

Thanks to all in advance.......
    Mike

Re: question 2. Fuel-filter...Located under car on the passenger-side, just before the rear-wheel. I assume you had the trans fluid and filter changed when the trans was replaced?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

If you've got the spare bucks and the proper tool, by all means swap the O2 sensors. Probably won't change much, but they lose accuracy past 60k or so, and when they don't respond properly, it will impact your fuel economy. If money is tight and its running well, leave it be. The vacuum lines are probably more important to be in good shape.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

trans and Fuel filter

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        Re: question 2. Fuel-filter...Located under car on the passenger-side, just before the rear-wheel. I assume you had the trans fluid and filter changed when the trans was replaced?

Oh yes! Fuel filter was done when the trans was done. The car was in the air-so kill 2 for the price of 1 !

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          If you've got the spare bucks and the proper tool, by all means swap the O2 sensors. Probably won't change much, but they lose accuracy past 60k or so,
          I was not aware of this . . . . . how badly off can they get but still have the rest of the system convinced that they're working properly?

My only personal experience with a bad O2 sensor was on an Oldsmobile... and it went abruptly. Working fine . . then suddenly Check Engine light, and fuel economy went from 26-27MPG average to 18-19. Code was O2 sensor always reading too (uh, high, low, can't remember) so the ECM was ignoring it. Changed it for a new one, and economy went back up to 26-27 range.

This was with the car having over 150K on the factory O2 sensor.

But anyway, since the new one didn't seem to make any difference relative to the old one (before it went totally kablooey), I always had assumed O2 sensors were a sort of "all or nothing" device.
          1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2-door Coupe - perpetually "sort of" for sale...
          Black with Red cloth (velour?) interior.
          Purchased on 10/10/2008, with only 70,386 original miles, and only ONE previous owner.
          Reader's Ride post, First pic with "new" rims, Other pics with "new" rims

Comment

They don't always go completely to crap, but they tend to respond slower as they age. I've replaced 80k mile sensors that had completely gone to crap, but the 225k mile sensors on my Mark VII seemed fine, and it made no noticeable difference when I had new ones installed with the exhaust. I never put them on a voltmeter to watch the response times though. Its entirely probable they weren't reacting as quickly as the new ones are but sometimes it doesn't matter a huge amount.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

They don't always go completely to crap, but they tend to respond slower as they age. I've replaced 80k mile sensors that had completely gone to crap, but the 225k mile sensors on my Mark VII seemed fine, and it made no noticeable difference when I had new ones installed with the exhaust. I never put them on a voltmeter to watch the response times though. Its entirely probable they weren't reacting as quickly as the new ones are but sometimes it doesn't matter a huge amount.

do you think it would be wise to replace my 02 sensors as well? i don't imagine they've ever been changed in the 167k kms. I was thinking on just waiting until I have my headers put on and I need to put new bung in anyway
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

I've had heard the term" lazy o2" before.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  do you think it would be wise to replace my 02 sensors as well? i don't imagine they've ever been changed in the 167k kms. I was thinking on just waiting until I have my headers put on and I need to put new bung in anyway
                  put new ones in when you do the headers. No point in messing with it now if its not causing you any problems.

Comment

Working...
                  X