Where to install gauges in 90/91 cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to install gauges in 90/91 cars?

I have been wanting a volt meter and an oil psi gauge for a while now, but I don't know if I'd want to put them where the clock is. They'd look wicked hanging in front of it but the plate they're on looks silly.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Ive got a gauge box that is out of a 91 PI if your interested, it was bolted to the bottom left of the trim piece where it says fuel fill on drivers side or left, whatever it says there. anyway it didn't look to bad, but I don't want to use it, has gauges in it to, youll just need senders.

Another Idea, which could be done, is stereo in the glove box, and gauges in that hole. could look pretty seamless.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I'd love them, hopefully I can do something with em
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Ill get you some pics of them.

Hows 10 bucks for them sound, plus whatever shipping is, I got them pretty cheap with the speedo, so im just asking what I payed. They should clean up nice, there is a box around it. Ive got more pics somewhere if youd like.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Those are some filthy-ass gauges. I'll figure out something to do with them I'm sure
          sigpic

Comment

alright, just pm me your info, and Ill get you shipping quotes monday, as the post office is closed tomorrow. the box comes off so it shouldn't be too hard to clean up the gauges. Ill take a look at it tomorrow and see what I can do after work.
            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
              alright, just pm me your info, and Ill get you shipping quotes monday, as the post office is closed tomorrow. the box comes off so it shouldn't be too hard to clean up the gauges. Ill take a look at it tomorrow and see what I can do after work.

this just in: 91grandmarquis rules.
              sigpic

Comment

Awesome ^
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

This seems like it would be a fine place to ask - Where do you guys think I should put my new (well, it looks pretty old, but I like 'em) gauge pod when I get it? Gonna be a bit cleaner and a lot more blue when they're installed and lit up
                  sigpic

Comment

I think I am leaning in the direction of the first one posted by neums but I don't think this pod would fit there.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ill do some work and see if I can get you a pic of where they were in the interceptor. Although you may not like it.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Another Idea, which could be done, is stereo in the glove box, and gauges in that hole. could look pretty seamless.
                        I did that.

Some pictures of my set-up below. Eventually I painted all the woodgrain in the car a charcoal grey color. Can't seem to find any pictures of the gauges with that treatment, though.

Also, I put up a picture of a great place to mount aux. switches.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by P72Ford; 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Eh. I just found some.
                          Attached Files
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

this might look good if you dont hack it up like I did...

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I am still digging this spot

It's about the only place I can think of where it won't be in the way of something else. Plus, I have my tach up on the A pillar there and keeping all of my gauges concentrated in one area would be the safest idea.

As much as I appreciate the suggestion about the stereo location, I'm gonna leave it where it is. Those aux. switch locations are awesome..I was thinking on the long strip of dash trim next to the rear defrog one but more convenient in your location.

I'm undecided as to whether or not I'm going to keep the stock water temp gauge or use the one in the gauge pod...either way I'm going to have one dead gauge, either the water temp in the cluster or water temp in the new gauge pod
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X