Where to install gauges in 90/91 cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post

I'm undecided as to whether or not I'm going to keep the stock water temp gauge or use the one in the gauge pod...either way I'm going to have one dead gauge, either the water temp in the cluster or water temp in the new gauge pod
    Why not use them both? Even if the stock one is kinda useless.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I likely will for the sake of not having a gauge reading below "N" constantly
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

why does it say grand marquis?

Comment

Wow I didn't pick up on that.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
            why does it say grand marquis?
            REGIS!! We just found the reverse of what you are interested in.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              REGIS!! We just found the reverse of what you are interested in.
              Huh? It's still a ford grand marquis. Would be opposite if it said Mercury Crown Victoria

Comment

also good to know everyone's dash has that slight dip to it in the middle over the climate control unit.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  Huh? It's still a ford grand marquis. Would be opposite if it said Mercury Crown Victoria
                  True true
                  But what we are used to is seeing a Grand Marquis exterior with a CV interior, here we find a cobbled together specimen that has a CV exterior with a GM interior
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    True true
                    But what we are used to is seeing a Grand Marquis exterior with a CV interior, here we find a cobbled together specimen that has a CV exterior with a GM interior
                    Yes. Very rare.

Comment

OK I took the liberty of mocking these up for everyone to see.
                      This looks the best I think personally, however it requires holes in the trim piece and I refuse to do that, because I am anal. There are holes in the back of the cluster already there for this purpose. Also ignore the wire, it will run behind the wood grain trim. I also need to double sided tape the warped trim piece above the dash down, damn sun warping things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge placement..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1260378
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

That does not look bad there at all!.
                        ~David~

Comment

If it was possible, I'd cut into the speedometer cluster and put that gauge pod right over the dummy coolant temp gauge...

Comment

I think it would be, but your be hacking the "glass" part up and the trim piece to make it set in farther, if your that devoted to it it would look pretty seamless.
                            1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                              I think it would be, but your be hacking the "glass" part up and the trim piece to make it set in farther, if your that devoted to it it would look pretty seamless.
                              Nonono. You disassemble the cluster, the plastic comes off. It should sit recessed enough that it'll fit under the clear plastic cover no problem...

Comment

Oh I see, they arent that deep, this also could be done. and would look pretty good.
                                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Working...
                                X