No announcement yet.

Looking to find a good quality 6.5 speaker can handle 125watts rms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace brother with one who won't crank up someone else's stereo past the point where it distorts. Problem solved.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
      So what your saying is that my amp is fine, just that when my brother was using it he pushed the limits of the amp and screwed everything up. So is there anyway to avoid this if I hook it up to my new sub. I never realy crank the bass I just want to have a balance of all the mid highs and low in my car a quality system basically.
      You could turn down the gains as sort of a self-imposed "audio governor".

Comment

also play with the treble and bass settings, different songs will distort systems at different volumes, to get all you can you have to adjust things constantly.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 83countrysquire View Post
          So what your saying is that my amp is fine, just that when my brother was using it he pushed the limits of the amp and screwed everything up. So is there anyway to avoid this if I hook it up to my new sub. I never realy crank the bass I just want to have a balance of all the mid highs and low in my car a quality system basically.
          right.

turn down the gain controls on the amp to keep it from getting too loud. and/or beat your brother about the face and neck.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

so I gunna add the other amp, so I need your guys opinion on wiring the mtx amp says to run 4 gauge to it and I have 8 gauge running to my planet audio, should i just run another line of 4 gauge for the other amp or re run both and use 4 gauge or just run 4 gauge off off battery than split to 8 gauge? I think im gunna have to upgrade to my 3g alt too soon lol dont think old alt can take it
            sigpic
            1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

What wattage level amps are we talking about here?

And yeah, if you're running multiple amps, the 130 alternator would be a very good idea. That stocker is barely enough for the car, add a bunch of stereo stuff and its just a matter of time before the smoke comes out. Be careful, those things catch fire.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well I got a 3g in my backyard so I think the change will happen asap. As for wattage the planet audio running 8 gauge is 400watts rms 800max and than the mono block mtx is 150watts rms.
                Also my pioneer 690ub headunit has a problem of keep muting its self.
                sigpic
                1986 Crown Victoria 302 Cold Air,Mac Shorty headers, Full Dual Exhaust with Super Forty Flows, Wagon Suspension with a Full Sound System Replacement 1/4 time 17.486 @ 77.43mph

Comment

so we're talking 1350 watts, which is roughly 100 amps of current draw peak? Yeah, you need a lot more alternator. 4 gauge is good for 135 amps, 8 ga is only good for 73 amps, so I'd probably run a 4 to the battery, and split it up in the trunk. Its not gonna pull 100 amps steady, thats just peak demand for short bursts so 4 ga should be plenty.

amp ratings from http://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Comment

sound is also governed by the deck in my opionion. i just put a used alpine in my g/f sonata. i have never had one before , but let me tell you it is the best soundign deck that i have ever heard. alpines have many options, as well as true power rating. i have a 50x4 clarion and it isnt nearly as loud and clean as the alpine. if you want to go with an amp for a sub i would go with a monoblock. i have an infinity right now pushing 1 12 and it thumps pretty well, one of these days ill get two speakers to see what the 600rms will do.
                    at anyrate you should try looking here for decent 6.5 speakers
                    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e+SPS-600.html
                    and you can find soem good stuff also here
                    http://www.parts-express.com/speakers.cfm
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

well yeah. garbage in, garbage out. If the output from the head unit sucks, all the amp can do is make loud suck.

Comment

I love my pioneer it sounds amazing but its doing that mute thing i was talking about and I m not sure how to get it to stop muting it self. Ok so 4 ga back and than distribution block now what about the size fuse I should use I have a 100amp fuse on the 8 gauge for the current amp so should I just stick with that fuse.
                        sigpic

Comment

Could try that. If it blows, a 125 or 150 ought to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Distortion is more likely you pushing the amplifier past it's limits than the speakers. When you overpower speakers, the voice coils get hot, and they either melt, or distort the pole piece to make the speaker rattle against the magnet or seize up. It doesn't cause distortion. The amplifier being run past it's limits makes for really nasty sound. I could get into the electrical reasons why, but it doesn't really matter, the short story is the amp can only run so loud before it changes music to horrible noise. That horribly distorted noise will blow a speaker out too, even if the speaker is rated to handle well above what the amplifier is rated to produce.
                            Yes this is called "clipping"
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipping_(audio)
                            Keep in mind your amp gains ARE NOT a volume nob
                            What is your budget?

I run that same amp and these speakers CDT-CL61A my ears ring

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            replace brother with one who won't crank up someone else's stereo past the point where it distorts. Problem solved.
                            Hahahaha

I remember I helped you pick that stuff out two years ago or so, too bad it isn't working out for ya.
                            Last edited by saiyaneye; 07-18-2010, 06:16 AM.

Comment

yeah i know i love the speakers but the popping getting to me lol. I was trying just to get the 6.5 woofers cause I ll leave current component system in, i dont even use the tweeters for the back lol front ones are so loud. But I like the option of having them. But I wouldnt want to spend more than two hundered on a new set of speakers for the car.
                              sigpic

Comment

Make sure to match the gain on your amp to the RCA output level of your head unit - this is the #1 cause of things going to crap when you turn it up.
                                You will need to check yours, but most head units are 2 volts out, and most amp gain ranges are 0-4volts, so most gains need to be set at 50% and no more.
                                Some head units are 4 volts out, and amps differ, that's why you have to check and match them.

And like others said, you need to cut out the super low frequencies from the interior speakers altogether (using the amp's built in filter or a processor if the amp doesn't have one). Your speakers should come with a nice graph of their frequency response range, so you can cut them off from receiving anything past where the low end starts to drop off.
                                No need to try to make a little speaker do what the subs can more than handle.

When I first put my stereo together, i was using crappy radio shack amps and it didn't sound so great. Once I learned about gain matching and frequency filters, I bought an active signal splitter/filter and it made such a huge difference. Now i have some older Alpine amps with that stuff built in and it sounds even more butter.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by 85crownHPP; 07-18-2010, 10:02 AM.
                                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                                sigpic
                                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                                X