Good but expensive option for the rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good but expensive option for the rear

So seeing as how we can use mustang shocks on the back of our cars. There is a bolt in rear coilover kit for mustangs from upr that should work on a panther.

The more expensive one ($599.99) is the full conversion kit and comes with qa1 12 way adjustable shocks and your choice of spring rates on a 12'' spring.
    http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-r...hocks-qa1.html

The lesser ($269.99) has a little different top mounting setup, you choice of rates on a 10'' spring, and you can add lakewood shocks to the package for
    ($139.98) which will bring the total to ($409.97)
    http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-r...-over-kit.html

Just thought this may be a good option for someone wanting something a little more than the average guy.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

I was actually just thinking about if this would be possible the other day. Better yet, it's adjustable, there are probably other kits out there like this for bargain hunters, I'll have to browse thorugh maximum motorsports and see If I get anything.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

I was just looking at these the other day trying to decide what my best option would be, but I've only seen these pretty expensive setups and I don't have that much to spend on them. If going with such a setup they would completely replace the need for the stock spring right? One of my concerns was that these are made to support a fox body mustang which I'm pretty sure weighs a lot less than a panther. If there is a bargain setup out there I'd put these back on the list of my options.
      '85 Mercury Grand Marquis
      only MSD multi-spark so far but hopefully a 351 on the way.

Comment

well MM wants the same price of the expensive setup, sans the shocks. So tack on another 100 bucks (they only offer for bilstein or Koni) and you have the price. About the weight difference between box's and fox bodies, I would Imagine if you pair up the stang shocks that work with panthers, along with a stiff enough spring rate (no idea about difference between coilover springs and regular springs) it should be fine.
        Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
        New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by pvillese View Post
          One of my concerns was that these are made to support a fox body mustang which I'm pretty sure weighs a lot less than a panther.
          There's really only a couple hundred pound difference.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

I've thought about the setup awhile ago, but i wonder if where the shocks mount to the chassis would'nt need some reinforcing.

Comment

I'd be more concerned about that single bolt that attaches the shock to the differential snapping, though the frame is thin up where the shock goes through. It was not intended to take the stress of carrying the car.If you replace that stock lower bolt with heavier duty hardware, it might be OK.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The upper shock mount 'location' should not have a problem carrying the weight of the car. This is the same piece of metal that the spring sits on anyways. It's the use of the original upper shock mount bushings that always bothered me. The weight of a car was never intended to constantly rest on a 1" diameter piece of rubber. But using their adapter bracket should solve that problem. As for the lower mount bolt, I definitely agree. At least in the picture it looks a bit too small for my comfort.

For what it is worth, this is almost exactly what I had planned on making myself. The shocks alone cost about $400, so in reality you are paying $200 for the brackets, and the springs. I'd call it a fair deal for sure.

Comment

There is sort of a triangular support area directly above the spring, but not where the shock is. Its probably splitting hairs, but it just seems that the upper spring perch has a bit more structure to it. Hadn't thought about the rubber biscuit, but I have to agree about that being a weak point as well.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X