Performance chips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance chips?

Are these worth looking into? Also, would 15-20 hp be reasonable? I was looking at getting one, but i wasnt sure what brand to look at and how to install one. Also, is it true that some of them make it so you dont need your o2 sensors anymore?
    79 Grand Marquis

I have a Superchips flashpaq installed on my '04 Dodge. I'm not sure if there is a similar unit available for you.

The SC works well; there is a definite power improvement in all three tunes (towing, 87, and 91). You can also adjust the rev limiter, speed limited, tire size, etc. You can pull codes and data log as well.

I don't know of any tuners that will cancel the MIL. But, MIL eliminators, or O2 simulators are an option.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

http://www.blueovalchips.com/

This guy, Lonnie, has about the most universally positive reviews I've seen of any tuner, and is pretty much THE guy for chips for late model panthers. He'll custom tune it for you, shift RPM's and harshness and all that, based on your request. I believe he also sells the programmers where you plug them in and edit tuning parameters yourself. Either way, I've literally never heard anyone say it wasn't worth the money.

In fact, I'd recommend giving him a call even if you aren't sure you wanna buy his stuff, as he'll probably be able to point you in the right direction even if it isn't towards his pay pal account.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

OK, john, good. I was going to say BOC but you beat me to it. I was praying that this wasn't another "cop chip" question. And it wasn't. So my sanity has been save for the day.
        On another note, I'm probably going with a BOC chip later this year. I already have the 80mm MAF from my Marauder, so, this only seems like the next logical step.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I have ridden in a 2004 with long tubes and a trans I Jmodded (1-2 lower delete).

That was more like a 5 hour energy than a Red bull for the car.

I liked it.... Do I like it $400 kinda like ?

No.. $250-300 sounds better.

But Lonnies tunes are really great.

Now ask around about Zack....On MercuryMarauder.net.

Comment

I'm going to look at blue oval chips in the near future, but i just had my exhaust done and found a cracked manifold and im looking at another set of tires right now so funds are short. I did a little research and If i get a chip i might as well pay the extra money. Would a harsher shift do any long term damage to the transmission?
            79 Grand Marquis

Comment

The Jmod actually lengthens the life of your transmission. With the tune its even better. There's more fluid pressure for firmer shifts. Which means there's not as much friction between shifts = less wear and tear
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

you can shut off the rear o2's with SCT. on an npi car I dont think there will be a huge gain from the program. if its just to adress the rear o2's it would be cheaper to get MIL eliminators, but youll want a programer if you decide to swap gears

Comment

I had dennis rienhart do mine. It was expensive as hell and I don't know how much it really helped. BOC would be who I'd go to.
                  Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

You can save yourself some money by doing most of your bolt-ons before shelling out money for a tune. pullies, upper intake/TB, CAI, headers, exhuast and in your case upgrade to at least PI lower intake and cams. Then take it and get it dyno tuned to do it right.
                    sigpic
                    Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
                    Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

i just ordered a chip, it must be a bad chip or something because once hooked up, the car has virtually no power. it back fires and cuts out when i press the accelerator. my experience with chips has been not the greatest so far. just an fyi

Comment

where did you order the chip from?
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
                          you can shut off the rear o2's with SCT. on an npi car I dont think there will be a huge gain from the program. if its just to adress the rear o2's it would be cheaper to get MIL eliminators, but youll want a programer if you decide to swap gears
                          I wish they had MIL eliminators available for my truck... well, the Fastman sells them, but they seem to have mixed reviews. It isn't worth $100 to find out for me.

Instead, when I go SCT in a couple months, I'll have the rear O2s cancelled, and get on with the modifications.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

i ordered it from blue oval chips. i contacted Lonnie did every thing he said to do. told me to send it back to him. he said some computers don't take reprogramming so well. there are time you need to swap computers he said. hopefully he can figure out whats going wrong

Comment

what do you have done?
                              sigpic
                              Wrecked - Non-pi 1998 Mustang GT Best ET = 13.36@ 101
                              Just bought: 01 grand marq - 5th 4.6L and counting.

Comment

Working...
                              X