PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

n00b

Default Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

I want to put in a 460 into my lincoln because they have so much torque and i love the 460. Anyway my question is will it fit in easily and can i use motor mounts from an F350 to make it fit? Also will my stock tranny bolt up to it? my tranny is whatever comes stock with the 5.0. Has anyone done this and if so can you let me know how easy or difficult it is and if its worth it. Thanks.
    1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
    -True Dual Side Pipes

The trash heap has spoken! Pesty351's Avatar

Keep dreaming.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826

Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by crazyeights View Post
    I want to put in a 460 into my lincoln because they have so much torque and i love the 460. Anyway my question is will it fit in easily and can i use motor mounts from an F350 to make it fit? Also will my stock tranny bolt up to it? my tranny is whatever comes stock with the 5.0. Has anyone done this and if so can you let me know how easy or difficult it is and if its worth it. Thanks.
    Exhaust will be your main problem.

Concerning motor mounts....I don't know. There's a guy with a completed 460 swap running aound, but there aren't a whole lot of details I remember. The main issue with a 460 swap is that you can get similar performance out of a modded 351W, unless someone has breathed on the 460 a bit.

First of all, what are your power/performance goals? One of the things I've been figuring out recently is that most of what a person can make use of on the street can be done with a 302 or variants like a 347. A 351 can be stroked as 426ci and will bolt up using factory or factory-based parts.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Click below to buy my cool '81 LTD:

n00b

well the thing is that my dad has an extra 460 motor. So i figured i could save money and gain that torque and horsepower with out spending a whole lot of money. i was just seeing if it was possible or easy to do and i guess not. I guess i could always do the HO swap. I want it to be a sleeper.
    1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
    -True Dual Side Pipes

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

nothing is going to be a drop-in. It can be done, but if you're looking for more performance on the cheap, its not going to be with a 460 in a panther. If its a stock late 70s 460 out of a Lincoln, they made like 250 hp, which you can easily make with an HO 302 and some tame bolt-ons. Not going to have that torque, but it will wind out a lot more than a wheezy low compression smog motor will.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

n00b

yea ill probably do the HO swap. I already have the HO components anyway i was just curious about the 460.
    1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
    -True Dual Side Pipes

crazy about old Lincolns.

As the others have said, a HO swap will give you less headaches. Since you already have the HO parts, you can get started whenever you're ready
    '79 Continental Town Car *in storage*
    '83 Continental Mark VI *in storage*
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '92 Crown Victoria Touring Sedan *parts car*

Certified Yeti Trainer grandpaslincoln's Avatar

I guess I'll be the black sheep and say....do it. A lot of negativity in this thread.

is there even any after-market support for a 460?

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by insomniac391 View Post
    is there even any after-market support for a 460?
    Tons.

I know that one guy on cvn ran what, a mid 14 best with his 460 box. Then again, I think it was fairly stock.

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Tons.

I know that one guy on cvn ran what, a mid 14 best with his 460 box. Then again, I think it was fairly stock.
    hmmm, i never hear about 460's on the track, thats why i ask. I was looking at a Lincoln with a 460 for the longest time, but idk, i felt like it would just cost me $100 a week in gas for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
    As the others have said, a HO swap will give you less headaches. Since you already have the HO parts, you can get started whenever you're ready
    Or perhaps more to the point, some of the dough that would go toward making the 460 fit (like getting a tranny with a big block bellhousing) could be better spent on things like good heads.

BTW, 14s in a Panther with 7.5 liters? After all that hassle for such lousy results, I'd probably fake a broken hood release and claim it was a straight-six.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

The 460 can be done, but its just not going to be easy or cheap. I wasn't trying to be negative, only cater to the indication that the original poster wanted something that wasn't terribly difficult to do. With enough time and money, anything is possible but its not going to be a couple hundred buck weekend project by any stretch.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    Drivetrain: 5.0 HO, Explorer cam, FMS 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley, SuperCoupe stall converter

Suspension: Bridgestone Protenza G019 225/60/16 on LSC turbines, 1 3/16" wagon front bar, 1" PI rear bar, cargo coils, KYB GR-2 front shocks, F150 rear air shocks, big front brakes, ES poly front suspension bushings, 00 CVPI steering box, ES poly body mounts, rear disc brakes

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks.

Pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    A lot of negativity in this thread.
    Yeah, no shit.

I'm not completely against it, I'd just pick a bit more friendly motor to start out with, or be prepared to mod the 460 truck motor before installing it, as power-to-weight suffers with this tank of an engine, when stock.

I've got a couple of ideas for a 460-swap into a Box, but even though I probably won't ever get around to doing them, I don't want to quash this kid's enthusiasm.

I'd be prepared to spend a bit of money, however, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Tons.

Yes, that one was a bit disappointing.

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

Anyone ever put other ford big blocks in a panther?
    - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 16" HPP wheels - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 1996 Ford Crown Victoria - the green bastard - 4.6 SOHC, 4r70w, 2.73s - Beater

What other big-block would you build? Is there any big-block other than the 385 series being built by anyone other than resto or nostalgia nuts?

Probably not, but a 427 side-oiler (with a top-loader 4-speed) would be soooooo cool!
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by 1987cp View Post
    What other big-block would you build? Is there any big-block other than the 385 series being built by anyone other than resto or nostalgia nuts?
    LOTS, the aussies are all over the 400s it seems, they like the low end grunt over the 302c/351c... For the 460, it would be cool to see what he can do with it.

Look at custom engine mounts, trans mount and probably a modded driveshaft though.
    1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
    1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
    1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
    1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

fuck no, not today, thank you kindly 1990LTD's Avatar

Was gonna say 429 CJ
    - 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 16" HPP wheels - Summer toy/work in progress.

- 1996 Ford Crown Victoria - the green bastard - 4.6 SOHC, 4r70w, 2.73s - Beater

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast