Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever put other ford big blocks in a panther?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

What other big-block would you build? Is there any big-block other than the 385 series being built by anyone other than resto or nostalgia nuts?
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Probably not, but a 427 side-oiler (with a top-loader 4-speed) would be soooooo cool!
        Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          What other big-block would you build? Is there any big-block other than the 385 series being built by anyone other than resto or nostalgia nuts?
          LOTS, the aussies are all over the 400s it seems, they like the low end grunt over the 302c/351c... For the 460, it would be cool to see what he can do with it.

Look at custom engine mounts, trans mount and probably a modded driveshaft though.
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Was gonna say 429 CJ
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The 460 is a compromise. It'll never get decent fuel economy, and the return on investement is not as significant as it would be with other options.
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
                LOTS, the aussies are all over the 400s it seems,
                Uh .... I thought we were talking about big-blocks? A 335 series has nothing to do with that discussion.
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I think the biggest hang up would be headers

I would think a budget 460 could get a panther in the high 12's pretty easy; swap the heads and upgrade cam and intake accordingly, mid 11's wouldnt be out of the question

yeah a stock 460 with exhaust manifolds wont set the world on fire for sure

Comment

I'd rather see a Cleveland powered box. That would be relatively easy actually. The hardest part is figuring out what accessory brackets are needed to run the air conditioner. No, air conditioning removal is NOT optional.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                      Uh .... I thought we were talking about big-blocks? A 335 series has nothing to do with that discussion.
                      My old chilton book classifys the 351M/400 as big blocks, as do I and a shit ton of others... Its a grey area, but you best go look at one compared to the 302/351w, they share the displacement but thats it.

There is alot more meat there and ALOT of power hidden in the 400 if you know what you are doing. It still fits here.
                      1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                      1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                      1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                      1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

The M series motors are basically Clevelands (which is classified as smallblock) with a big block bolt pattern. On the other hand, the Cleveland shares a lot of design, particularly with the valvetrain layout, with big blocks. They have that same staggered valve layout as you'll find on a 429 or 460. I guess its kind of hard to say for sure what to call the M series, its just a bastardized engine. Lots of potential, and greatly overlooked for the most part. Also not cheap to build one, so they get little respect.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I would call it perspective - if you are looking for a unique, fun project, then by all means put a 460 or a 385 series in there. If you are looking for raw power, I would suggest a stroked 351W like a 408 or 427 for maximum impact.

Although A 460 with some really decent mods and a c6 wedged in there would sound awesome and run it's ass off... You have to take into account not only the exhaust but also hood clearance, trans crossmember, driveshaft, shift linkage, accessory placement, inner fender clearance. You could also remove them, but then the items they support would have to be supported / relocated (such as the battery) using other means. I'm not sure on the weight of that setup, but you may want to also consider some bigger springs in the front as well to keep it from sagging if the weight is significantly more than the Winsor.
                          sigpic
                          https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                          1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                          1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                          2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                          2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

429 Cobra Jet? 4.10's?

Comment

Even still mid 14's in a panther i think is pretty good, it would be a sleeper, but like i said ill probably just do the HO swap so i can save money, plus it isnt my daily driver but i do enjoy driving it i just want it to be faster.
                              1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
                              -True Dual Side Pipes

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                The M series motors are basically Clevelands (which is classified as smallblock) with a big block bolt pattern. On the other hand, the Cleveland shares a lot of design, particularly with the valvetrain layout, with big blocks. They have that same staggered valve layout as you'll find on a 429 or 460. I guess its kind of hard to say for sure what to call the M series, its just a bastardized engine. Lots of potential, and greatly overlooked for the most part. Also not cheap to build one, so they get little respect.

Is the 429 the same engine as a 460? just with fewer cubes
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X