Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

I want to put in a 460 into my lincoln because they have so much torque and i love the 460. Anyway my question is will it fit in easily and can i use motor mounts from an F350 to make it fit? Also will my stock tranny bolt up to it? my tranny is whatever comes stock with the 5.0. Has anyone done this and if so can you let me know how easy or difficult it is and if its worth it. Thanks.
    1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
    -True Dual Side Pipes

Keep dreaming.
    1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
    2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by crazyeights View Post
      I want to put in a 460 into my lincoln because they have so much torque and i love the 460. Anyway my question is will it fit in easily and can i use motor mounts from an F350 to make it fit? Also will my stock tranny bolt up to it? my tranny is whatever comes stock with the 5.0. Has anyone done this and if so can you let me know how easy or difficult it is and if its worth it. Thanks.
      Exhaust will be your main problem.

Concerning motor mounts....I don't know. There's a guy with a completed 460 swap running aound, but there aren't a whole lot of details I remember. The main issue with a 460 swap is that you can get similar performance out of a modded 351W, unless someone has breathed on the 460 a bit.

Comment

First of all, what are your power/performance goals? One of the things I've been figuring out recently is that most of what a person can make use of on the street can be done with a 302 or variants like a 347. A 351 can be stroked as 426ci and will bolt up using factory or factory-based parts.
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

well the thing is that my dad has an extra 460 motor. So i figured i could save money and gain that torque and horsepower with out spending a whole lot of money. i was just seeing if it was possible or easy to do and i guess not. I guess i could always do the HO swap. I want it to be a sleeper.
          1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
          -True Dual Side Pipes

Comment

nothing is going to be a drop-in. It can be done, but if you're looking for more performance on the cheap, its not going to be with a 460 in a panther. If its a stock late 70s 460 out of a Lincoln, they made like 250 hp, which you can easily make with an HO 302 and some tame bolt-ons. Not going to have that torque, but it will wind out a lot more than a wheezy low compression smog motor will.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yea ill probably do the HO swap. I already have the HO components anyway i was just curious about the 460.
              1988 Lincoln Town Car

-Cold Air Intake
              -True Dual Side Pipes

Comment

As the others have said, a HO swap will give you less headaches. Since you already have the HO parts, you can get started whenever you're ready
                '79 Continental Town Car
                '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

I guess I'll be the black sheep and say....do it. A lot of negativity in this thread.
                  Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                  Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

is there even any after-market support for a 460?

Comment

Originally posted by insomniac391 View Post
                      is there even any after-market support for a 460?
                      Tons.

I know that one guy on cvn ran what, a mid 14 best with his 460 box. Then again, I think it was fairly stock.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                        Tons.

I know that one guy on cvn ran what, a mid 14 best with his 460 box. Then again, I think it was fairly stock.
                        hmmm, i never hear about 460's on the track, thats why i ask. I was looking at a Lincoln with a 460 for the longest time, but idk, i felt like it would just cost me $100 a week in gas for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                          As the others have said, a HO swap will give you less headaches. Since you already have the HO parts, you can get started whenever you're ready
                          Or perhaps more to the point, some of the dough that would go toward making the 460 fit (like getting a tranny with a big block bellhousing) could be better spent on things like good heads.

BTW, 14s in a Panther with 7.5 liters? After all that hassle for such lousy results, I'd probably fake a broken hood release and claim it was a straight-six.
                          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

The 460 can be done, but its just not going to be easy or cheap. I wasn't trying to be negative, only cater to the indication that the original poster wanted something that wasn't terribly difficult to do. With enough time and money, anything is possible but its not going to be a couple hundred buck weekend project by any stretch.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                              A lot of negativity in this thread.
                              Yeah, no shit.

I'm not completely against it, I'd just pick a bit more friendly motor to start out with, or be prepared to mod the 460 truck motor before installing it, as power-to-weight suffers with this tank of an engine, when stock.

I've got a couple of ideas for a 460-swap into a Box, but even though I probably won't ever get around to doing them, I don't want to quash this kid's enthusiasm.

I'd be prepared to spend a bit of money, however, lol.

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Tons.

Yes, that one was a bit disappointing.

Comment

Working...
                              X