Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are in the same engine family.
    Kinda' like how the 302 and 351 are "related".
    Former panther owner
    1981 CV 351 4bbl
    1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

gotcha. what puts them in these families, anyway? common design features? factory of origin?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

generally it's what bolts up (transmissions, water pumps, heads, etc.) and the internal designs (water and oil passages, etc.).

What makes the 351M/400 motors a grey area is there combination of small block (especially 351Cleveland) internals, but big bllock bolt-pattern trannies fit, plus that the 400 motor is just big enough in terms of displacement to qualify as a "Big block" in the literal sense.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
          generally it's what bolts up (transmissions, water pumps, heads, etc.) and the internal designs (water and oil passages, etc.).

What makes the 351M/400 motors a grey area is there combination of small block (especially 351Cleveland) internals, but big bllock bolt-pattern trannies fit, plus that the 400 motor is just big enough in terms of displacement to qualify as a "Big block" in the literal sense.
          That and if you set a 429/460, a 351M/400 and a 289/302/351W in a row, the M blocks are smaller then the 460 but a fair bit larger then the W blocks. Kind of a medium block I guess? LOL
          1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
          1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
          1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
          1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by crazyeights View Post
            Even still mid 14's in a panther i think is pretty good, it would be a sleeper, but like i said ill probably just do the HO swap so i can save money, plus it isnt my daily driver but i do enjoy driving it i just want it to be faster.
            Yep, a 302 can do that easily.

Might want to do some more reading both here and elsewhere, and of course review your budget, before spending money on outdated factory parts. The basic HO "upgrade" is reliable and a is a fairly cheap way to go, but keep in mind that money spent reconditioning junk is money that can't be spent on good heads, etc., plus you have to do everything twice once you decide 200-250 horsepower is still rather lame (I'm looking at a situation like this right now).
            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I am shooting for 14's this season with a basically stock H.O. and some gears. I dont see it being a problem. But 14's is still a turd if you ask me. As fast as alot of bone stock cars are now days I think you need to at least have a 13 sec car minumum to compeat.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                I am shooting for 14's this season with a basically stock H.O. and some gears. I dont see it being a problem. But 14's is still a turd if you ask me. As fast as alot of bone stock cars are now days I think you need to at least have a 13 sec car minumum to compeat.
                Pretty much, but compared to the ~18 second passes these things make stock, even 16's is a decent improvement.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

What times does the guy with the nitrous get? 15s isnt it?
                  sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Everything is relative. If you can make a car that does 18 seconds drop down to 14, its awesome. If you start with 14, then 14 isn't so hot. Keep in mind its a 2 ton car with a small motor. If this was the late 60s or early 70s, it probably would have rolled out of the factory with optional up to 300 hp under the hood, not the paltry 160 we could get.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      its a 2 ton car
                      So are Chargers, Challengers, and new GT500s, so they must be slow. Lots of crossovers and minivans also weigh that much or more, so they must be perceived as "huge".

with a small motor.
                      5 liters is huge compared to most of today's new cars.

If this was the late 60s or early 70s, it probably would have rolled out of the factory with optional up to 300 hp
                      300hp gross means .... ? And how many cubic inches would they have used to do that?
                      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                        So are Chargers, Challengers, and new GT500s, so they must be slow. Lots of crossovers and minivans also weigh that much or more, so they must be perceived as "huge".
                        Aren't these all unibody vehicles? How much does a Panther frame weigh?
                        '79 Continental Town Car
                        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post

5 liters is huge compared to most of today's new cars.

300hp gross means .... ? And how many cubic inches would they have used to do that?

Bad day?
                          sigpic

Comment

could a stroked 390 engine with a 430 crank be any good with decent heads?!

just my 2 cents...
                            sigpic
                            67 Ltd tudor
                            67 Ltd 4door
                            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                              could a stroked 390 engine with a 430 crank be any good with decent heads?!

just my 2 cents...
                              Uh, if you could get a 430 crank into a 390 block first. The 430 and 390 are completely different engines, lol.

Comment

It is all relitive to the starting point I suppose. But weight is no excuse as 1987cp pointed out all most all the new ''fast'' factory cars are 4k+ or more. Granted my car is still slow to me, but it does suprise alot of people, and its midly entertaining to cruise in lol. Anyway I think that with a very mild 351w 13's should be very very plausable, provided the right tranny, stall, and gears are used.

Anyone want to donate a 351, to see if I can pull it off haha

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                                X