Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to put a 460 in my lincoln, but i have some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    So are Chargers, Challengers, and new GT500s, so they must be slow. Lots of crossovers and minivans also weigh that much or more, so they must be perceived as "huge".

5 liters is huge compared to most of today's new cars.

300hp gross means .... ? And how many cubic inches would they have used to do that?
    Smaller displacement engines that make more power. The physical size of the engine has nothing to do with what I was talking about. Its a 150 hp turd. It doesn't much matter if you make that with 2 liters or 5, the power production of a stock Vic engine is crap for the weight it hauls around.

300 gross is still an easy 250 net. And we're talking a 351 or so to do it. Nothing earth shattering with a massive displacement, though that was certainly an option.
    Last edited by gadget73; 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
      Uh, if you could get a 430 crank into a 390 block first. The 430 and 390 are completely different engines, lol.

I didn't even know a 430 existed. What engine "family" did belong to?
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

430/462 Were lincoln engines I do believe, but I know the 430 was an option in the T-bird back in 58-61.
        Former panther owner
        1981 CV 351 4bbl
        1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

430 and 462 were MEL engines, Mercury, Edsel, Lincoln. I think that line ended about '67
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by The Auntie Christ View Post
            Uh, if you could get a 430 crank into a 390 block first. The 430 and 390 are completely different engines, lol.
            Oh... i thought a 428 crank in a stroked 390 should get to 410ci. from what i researched the difference between 390's and 410's are the crank and pistons. they use the same block, head, intakes... everything else should be the same, right? maybe my research is off.
            sigpic
            67 Ltd tudor
            67 Ltd 4door
            85 Ltd 4door

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
              Aren't these all unibody vehicles? How much does a Panther frame weigh?
              Unibody has nothing to do with it. a 3500 - 4000lb car is always going to be a 3500 - 4000lb car, unibody or not.
              1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
              1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
              1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
              1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

But, a unibody will still suck :p

Pete
                Originally posted by gadget73
                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Yeah, thats true.
                  1990 LTD Crown Vic w/ dead 5.0
                  1984 Pontiac 6000 cammed 2.5L Iron Duke
                  1986 F-150 300 6cyl 5spd.
                  1994 Crown Vic... Free, bad trans?

Comment

Originally posted by 351m View Post
                    Unibody has nothing to do with it. a 3500 - 4000lb car is always going to be a 3500 - 4000lb car, unibody or not.
                    And of course, building a 3500 pound car is just the same as a 3000 pound car, just takes a little mower power to make it quick. The approach to making power is exactly the same.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                      could a stroked 390 engine with a 430 crank be any good with decent heads?!

just my 2 cents...
                      Is any FE worth mentioning unless you're a resto snob? Has anyone even been developing parts for them recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                        Oh... i thought a 428 crank in a stroked 390 should get to 410ci. from what i researched the difference between 390's and 410's are the crank and pistons. they use the same block, head, intakes... everything else should be the same, right? maybe my research is off.
                        428 crank in a 390 will give you 428ci.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
                          But, a unibody will still suck :p

Pete
                          It will suck if your putting 600hp to the rear wheels and dragging it, most people with these new sports cars don't give a shit because they purchased a car that was already fast. In the event there is this much strain on things you can continue a full frame extension to reinforce the front frame piece and rear frame piece. Im going to have to do this on the '73 Plymouth Ive got.
                          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

428 crank in a 390 will give you 428ci.
                            A 428 crank (3.98" stroke) in a 390 block (4.05" bore) is a 410.

Comment

Is any FE worth mentioning unless you're a resto snob? Has anyone even been developing parts for them recently?
                              FE parts are manufactured from unobtanium. Or so it seems. Every part is being manufactured new.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                                I didn't even know a 430 existed. What engine "family" did belong to?
                                The 430 4V was the first Ford motor to be rated 400HP or higher.

Comment

Working...
                                X