Replacing TPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing TPS

I am ordering ane TPS for 83 GM. I need to know how to remove the old one and install the new one without fucking up stuff so the car doesn't blow up on me. A step by step instructional post would be very helpful.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Umm, Can I ask if thats the CFI? or if its something else. As i know how on CFI lol.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

yeah, 83 is CFI.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

any body know the changing procedure on a tps on a cfi engine.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
        1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

basically you pull the high idle stuff out of the way, and remove the 2 screws that mount the tps. I don't know step by step stuff, but you have to remove the crap thats in your way first.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i dont want to fuck stuff up. there is a nut that holds the high idle levers together do i remove that.

Comment

Ok man, when i first done this it was a pita. So i will try to point out the procedure fairly easy.Those screws you are seeing. Right now before you touch anything Take pictures. Clear ones where you can see exactly how its put together. As its about 2 or three pices. And as i found out. Hardley anyone even on here knows how to put them back on just right.

Basicly Take those pictures make drawings of that. Then Take the couple to few screws out and disconect evreyting rembering which side face is going away from the tps. For easy refrence heres what you can do. Get a marker And mark the side that you can see. The unmarked side is the side you then want to go on the cfi. Also would not hurt to get some good carb cleaner Clean that linkage/nuts ure talking about and make markings on them too. Have the markings in the pics. Might want to use something that will stay on for as long as you need then. You can take off but not any time sooner. White out pen maybey.

The whole job if done right dosent take but 15 - 30 mins if that. But as im trying to stress rather hard here... That linkage can be a bitch lol. And can turn out to make it a 2 - 3 days of tinkering with the damn thing. IIRC theres a spring there too. A small one. And it is a key component. And the car will run like ass if any of it isnt in place just right...

Well I hope that helps some. And good luck. If i can member any more lator i will try and put it in lol.
              People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

heres a picture of what it looks like. What do i unscrew to get it off.

Comment

Yea thats the thing. Try to take a clear pic from the front and back of it too. That thing is the only hard part you will have the rest is easy.

As the rest is just unscrew the other two nuts for the tps and put new one on the right way put old screws back in unless you got new ones then put the three pice idel screw assembley back.

Also one last tip. If you can take the idel screw assmble off as a whole without moving any of it being very very gentle. you will be doing good. But that spring is a ass. So yea take a couple more pics of the front. and try and get a clear one of the back.
                  Last edited by DarkKnight; 03-14-2010, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Heres more pics

Comment

Looks like ure ready to go then Good you can clearly see that plunger coming out to and where its resting on and its location. Looks like ure ready to take it off. Just member after you unscrew that first nut. With the metal washer on it. the rest of it very well may want to go all kinds of ways. So try and be gentle with it. I hadent thought about it before but if you have a couple of twist ties you might just be able to tie around both sides of the idle screw thing so it comes off as a complete assmbley and put it right back on the new one rather easy. Worth a shot anyways. Or some strong small rubber bands or something.

Only thing i cant recall is if the hockey puck must come off. If it does though its no big deal. Its just bolt on and off. Like i said that linkage assembley is the pita lol

Comment

I see you found my pics

Just take the nut off, and the levers will come off with a wiggle. Try not the let them come apart, no biggie if you do. Just put them back like in the pics. Once that's out of the way, the TPS comes off with the two screws - if you can get them out.
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

i broke one of those screws loose.

Comment

Working...
                          X