No announcement yet.

Sly's Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still haven't touched the Lincoln... maybe tomorrow... got the hitch for the vic in and on the car today.
    pics:

mockup and drilling done

all bolted up with the mangled mess of the bolt fish line on the ground (the last bolt didn't wanna go)

done

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      And probably many phrases not found in the Bible!!
      Dobby's sock!
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

90 TC fan shroud and tank are in the Mark VI now. Had to make brackets to mount to the non-stock radiator... but it fits... BARELY. The transmission lines that go to the radiator are mildly against the coolant tank after some persuasion, instead of blocking it. No more cheapo ugly ass universal coolant tank! WOOT!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

3-point belts installed in the back. That was a PITA and I burned up my Dremel in the process (bearings were already on their way out anyhow). Got a cheapy Harbor Freight one to finish the job. Went though about 5 Dremel metal disks in all.

Anyhoo... pics:

Comment

I kinda like the blue belts on the gray seats. How is the harbor freight dremel wannabe tool? I've been considering picking one up for a freind who's always borrowing my dremel.
            Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
            AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
            Open/Lock/Ratio #
            -----------------------
            G / H / 2.26
            B / C / 2.47
            8 / M / 2.73
            7 / - / 3.07
            Y / Z / 3.08
            4 / D / 3.42
            F / R / 3.45
            5 / E / 3.27
            6 / W / 3.73
            2 / K / 3.55
            A / - / 3.63
            J / - / 3.85

Comment

it's actually pretty good. I got the variable speed corded one. all the dremel bits will work fine (comes with 1/8 and 1/16 collets). none of the attachments will work that require the square drive as the thread is different on the HF one.

oh... FYI... the seats are beige/tan/faded... not grey. not that it matters... that interior is rather crap.
              Last edited by sly; 12-01-2013, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                it's actually pretty good. I got the variable speed corded one. all the dremel bits will work fine (comes with 1/8 and 1/16 collets). none of the attachments will work that require the square drive as the thread is different on the HF one.

oh... FYI... the seats are beige/tan/faded... not grey. not that it matters... that interior is rather crap.

Ironically, I keep saying our 99 is tan, and my wife insists it is grey. I looked up the color code for the interior, and she's right. It sill looks tan to me.
                Owner of the only known 5 speed box wagon with a lift kit.
                AKA, Herkimer the Hillbilly SUV.

Axle codes
                Open/Lock/Ratio #
                -----------------------
                G / H / 2.26
                B / C / 2.47
                8 / M / 2.73
                7 / - / 3.07
                Y / Z / 3.08
                4 / D / 3.42
                F / R / 3.45
                5 / E / 3.27
                6 / W / 3.73
                2 / K / 3.55
                A / - / 3.63
                J / - / 3.85

Comment

Hotlinked pics no worky for me ... weird. I copied the URLs from the Reply With Quote dialog and had a look anyway.

Are you the first person to actually do this? I recall posting some time ago asking if it were possible, but this is the first time I know of someone actually adding shoulder belts to a pre-'90 Panther.

As for the mount points, were you able to find any factory provisions on the metalwork itself? Hopefully the mounting areas were at least well reinforced, even if the holes weren't drilled/tapped/squarehead-nut-on-a-plate-added-on-the-backside-like-for-other-belt-mount-points.

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  3-point belts installed in the back. That was a PITA and I burned up my Dremel in the process (bearings were already on their way out anyhow). Got a cheapy Harbor Freight one to finish the job. Went though about 5 Dremel metal disks in all.

Anyhoo... pics:

Comment

the mounting points in the rear deck were not reinforced, but are double layer sheet... so most backseat riders should have no issues. The hanger is mounted with large 1/8" thick washers that are from electrical switch installations (those HUGE green boxes on the ground that carry 13KV electrical lines)... so they're grade 10+ or something obnoxious. There was a stock boss, but I would have needed to create an angled mount to get to that one and still be able to retract. I figure this setup is good for one full impact collision and would need to be rebuilt with the car... and I'd just strip it and scrap it at that point anyhow. And this setup won't be prone to people unbuckling while the car is in motion as the old constrictor lap belts are prone to being jacked with.

Comment

Weird, I've never known people to up and unbuckle with the car in motion.

Did you get a picture of this stock mounting boss you speak of?

Comment

nope. It may just be an un-used panel mount location too. It looks exactly like the other two that the sail panels actually use except there's no hole in it.

Comment

new sub enclosure... Polyfill wrapped in cheesecloth stuffed... same old speakers

Comment

found the rattle. the torsion bar rests on the box and when the trunk is shut, moves the contact point left of the factory sound deadener/pad. cut off a piece from the box I'm keeping and "fixed" the issue.

Also, put some on the fuel door to shut it up.

Comment

Nice sub enclosure! So the quest for eliminating rattles begins (or continues). That was a never ending quest for me with the Malibu. I ultimately failed as the amps and speakers have been in my old bedroom for 13 years.

Packman

Comment

I'm pretty much done finding rattles actually. I can't listen at levels that try to moderate your heartbeat, so the only rattles left ate in the taillights, rear license plate bracket, and lower door moldings. so meh. Can't hear those in the car anyhow. I could however hear the 2 I fixed.

Comment

Working...
                                X