No announcement yet.

Sly's Panthers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The seat rails on these things are pretty flimsy when you get right to it, especially for the sort of abuse they take. Even without an accident, years of back and forth stress from accel/decel will weaken it.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Coolant filter mod on the Cake:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20180302_124336.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	1283142

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the POTM folks

Name:	POTM.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	1283469

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Of course I voted for the Cake.
          —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
          1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
          1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
          1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Cake is tuned... sorta. Still need to sort out the EVAP codes (P0453, P1451) as they are not equipped on my car (that stuff didn't come out until OBD-II). As stated in the what are you working on thread, I had to replace the IAC since the PCM expects the one I bought and not the one that was on there. It made a big difference. The coil resistance was the same, so that's not the issue, but it seems they changed something in the valve itself between 2002 and 2003. So the 03 IAC is on the shelf if anyone needs one. It works fine. Anyhoo... dyno video below. 266 ftlbs (couldn't lock in 3rd gear so this number is low as peak torque is below 3K rpm) and 234 hp. We did a baseline with the 01 PCM to start with and it showed 215 (216 at SF last year), so the numbers are comparable. HP is up almost 20 and I would wager torque is up a few if we could have locked in 3rd. I'll drive it around and see if it feels any peppier. I doubt I'll be able to feel 18hp.

Comment

Is the thing in the exhaust a sensor for the tune?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Wideband oxygen sensor I expect. Useful to know if its going way rich or lean.

What was the reason for the ECM swap?
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Transmission shifting. the 99 PCM just works much better than the 01 in that regard on an AODE. If I had a 4R7xW, it wouldn't be as much of an issue. The 99 also holds gears while the 01 neutrals out when you let off the gas. I prefer the holding of gears.

Comment

and that wasn't something that could be tuned in the 01?

Comment

Nope. At least not with SCT. Line pressure change can be done, shift points, but that's about it.

Comment

Swapped back to the 2001 PCM an got the car inspected a few weeks ago. Just going to leave it that way until the guy can get around to trying to binary edit the rom file. I may have him email me the rom file so I can try. Or maybe get a quarterhorse and try hacking it myself. In the meantime, I reduced the bass in the cake. Out go the twin 10s and in with a low profile single 10. Good enough for me and massive trunk available again.

Big boom truck waster...

Name:	big box_.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	181.7 KB
ID:	1284626 Click image for larger version

Name:	big box amp_.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1284627

New small boom and open trunk

Name:	small box open trunk_.jpg
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	1284628 Click image for larger version

Name:	small box and amp_.jpg
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	1284629

I used the stock touring sedan subwoofer bracket and drilled some bolts through the box (Pioneer TS-SWX2502) and mounted it with that and some THICK plumbers tape to the board holding the amp and then the underside of the speaker box to give it some support up front. I may make a better bracket later, but this works for now.

Comment

The Cake got a new one piece header panel... re: not broken and removed the former Tek screw and plumber tape stitch from the bumper cover to replace them with cardboard staples scavenged from some boxes. Also put new fogs from a 99-ish Buick Regal (bought aftermarket bits that came with bulbs). After all was said and done, I found my sticker pile again and added one (that's actually rather true) to the driver window.

Name:	s20191004_230228.jpg
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	1285940 Click image for larger version

Name:	s20191005_011047.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	1285941 Click image for larger version

Name:	s20191005_011106.jpg
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	1285942 Click image for larger version

Name:	s20191005_133531.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1285943 Click image for larger version

Name:	s20191005_133541.jpg
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1285944 Click image for larger version

Name:	s20191005_162400.jpg
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1285945

Comment

Nice sticker.

I like the cardboard staples. Those suckers are STRONG.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Got a valve body from Eric and put it in my 93. Solved all the shifting issues and really sits you down with the shifts now. Seems much happier too. Shifts firm but doesn't bang now (except 1-2 when romping on it - that one kicks hard).

Dorman pan for the updated filter and drain.
                              Gonna be a bit before all the fall-over burns off of the cat heat shields.

Name:	20200620_182854.jpg
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1287155

Comment

Lots of small adjustments to the shift tune and I think I've got it pretty well dial in now. Been driving around for a couple of months with no overtly hard shifts like before, so that's good. Still chirps 1-2 when turning. That probably has more to do with the tight ass (3.55 limited slip 8-pack F150 carrier).

Also completed the amber blinker addition to the tail lights. I also noticed that all 3 brake/park/turn lights are 3 wire bulb sockets, but the inner ones only have 2 wires run to them. This is probably compatible with the 96 mustang sequential harness. I may get a set and try that next. Should be plug and play except for the reverse light sockets, but that's an easy splice.

Comment

Working...
                                X