Speedo searching...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo searching...

Ok so maybey searching isnt the right word. My spedo ( not the pants... u pervs ) Isn't but 1mph fast i have had it checked a few times. and im proud its only 1mph fast. Heres the problem i been having lately though. I get going and the dang thing bounces back and forth back and forth then after a while its where it should be and stays there until i let off the gas...

What gives? Can i fix this? easily?
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

All the ones I ever had installed in my car did that....I guess I got used to it.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You likely need a new speedometer cable. The original one is beginning to bind in the outer jacket, so it twists up and releases, twists up and releases, twists up and releases, etc., making the speedometer bounce instead of reading smoothly.

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
      But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

But it smooths out above 25 MPH
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
          You likely need a new speedometer cable. The original one is beginning to bind in the outer jacket, so it twists up and releases, twists up and releases, twists up and releases, etc., making the speedometer bounce instead of reading smoothly.
          Ah thanks Nater
          People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            But it smooths out above 25 MPH
            Yeah, they'll do that. Once it gets going fast enough, it either isn't binding anymore, or is twisting up and releasing so fast that the speedometer doesn't notice it.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

If the speedo cable doesn't fix it (and I bet it does), the speedo internally may be wearing out.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

would the cable cause it to bounce and be 11MPH slow?lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

It would certainly affect the speedometer's accuracy somewhat, though I've never seen one read drastically slow. Inaccuracy of that degree is usually a matter of having the wrong driven gear in the transmission for the rear end ratio.

Comment

I have the problem of the speedo on the 93 vic (all electronic - but not digital readout) being 4mph fast. it was 2mph fast about 3 years ago and dead on when we first got it. I'm thinking some resistance somewhere has changed in the circuit... but I dunno where to look or would that be internal to the speedo and it just needs to be re-calibrated. (yes, same variance across the board from 10mph to 90mph (or where that mark would be on the speedo if it marked past 85).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan in MI View Post
                      Yeah, they'll do that. Once it gets going fast enough, it either isn't binding anymore, or is twisting up and releasing so fast that the speedometer doesn't notice it.

That is what I figured. I always thought it was normal so it is no biggie for me. When driving at that low speeds the bouncing around if hardly noticeable because our eyes are constantly looking around for the new ped j walking or next animal running into the road.
                      ~David~

Comment

Working...
                      X