This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door Hinge Pin Write Up

Both 86VickyLX and I have replaced door hinge pins on panthers of different years (82, 91, and 94) and figured we would post our findings. These are for the front doors.

For the 91 two different hinge pin sizes were needed. We got all parts from autozone so we only have numbers from them (38410 and 38438 from the HELP! section)

For my 82 police model only 38410 was used for top and bottom, however the fit was not perfect, and washers had to be inserted to insure a tight fit.

The 94 (aero-vic) we do not have part numbers on hand...so if anyone would like to add to the information posted please do so!

First we removed the door, if you have no power options (power locks,windows, mirrors) It's far easier as you dont have to have the door really close to the area your working due to wire length. If you do have the power options the door will need to be propped up using 2X4's or something of simular structure.

Then we used a sawzall with a metal cutting blade (wear eye protection and be careful of the car body!!) to cut through the old hinge pin and used a hammer and punch to get the old pins out, or even a screw driver to pry them when the two parts of the hinge pins are close together. As a result the one half of the hinge will separate from the other, which is still bolted to the car.

Thirdly we used the hammer and punch to remove the old bushings (sorry for lack of pictures)

Now is a good time to take care of any rust you may have on these hard to reach areas of the car.

To install the new ones, hammer or punch in the new bushings, and line up the other half of the hinge in place, and insert the pin, using a punch to hammer it home. Insert jesus clip.

Bolt on door and align as neccessary (we had fun with that )

Old Pins:

NEW!!! (notice the steel washers this was in my 82)

**more detailed pictures will be available when we replace the pins in the other door**
    Attached Files
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Good info. Looking for more pics! This will definitely help out a bunch of people.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

very cool! might have to give these part numbers a go on my 80. question, why is there a washer between the body hinge and the door hinge? why was there space here?

Comment

Originally posted by 351-lincoln View Post
        very cool! might have to give these part numbers a go on my 80. question, why is there a washer between the body hinge and the door hinge? why was there space here?
        The pins are actually for a ford F-150....they seemed to fit well in the 91 according to John(86vickyLX) However my door design must have been different, the washers take up the extra space, and are neccessary otherwise the door will move up and down as they do with bad hinge pins.
        Since your's is a lincoln it is possible that it could be different, I would measure them first, if they are like mine they will be about 3.5" long.
        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Dude, just disassemble the door (on a power optioned car) and snake all that shit out. That way you can get the door out of the damn way. Some of these hinge pins can be a bear to get out. I just did both sides on my El Camino and they are a BEAR to get in and out without power tools. I did one side by hand and the other with an impact hammer. The driver's side I propped the door on a jack, and the other side I just disassembled the door and took it off the car. It's WAY easier that way, and Panther doors aren't difficult at all to disassemble.

Especially on a two-door Panther, those doors are a bastard to just have hanging there (if you have power options) getting in the way and balancing on a jack or stand or wood or whatever.

However, if you really insist on not disassembling the door, an engine hoist with a couple slings does wonders for holding the door up safely, and you can even move it around easily as needed.

Also, don't forget to disconnect the battery unless you're okay with your interior lights staying on and draining the battery while you work. My interior lights are fucked up in my car so they don't come on anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSteakJim View Post
            Dude, just disassemble the door (on a power optioned car) and snake all that shit out. That way you can get the door out of the damn way. Some of these hinge pins can be a bear to get out. I just did both sides on my El Camino and they are a BEAR to get in and out without power tools. I did one side by hand and the other with an impact hammer. The driver's side I propped the door on a jack, and the other side I just disassembled the door and took it off the car. It's WAY easier that way, and Panther doors aren't difficult at all to disassemble.

Especially on a two-door Panther, those doors are a bastard to just have hanging there (if you have power options) getting in the way and balancing on a jack or stand or wood or whatever.

However, if you really insist on not disassembling the door, an engine hoist with a couple slings does wonders for holding the door up safely, and you can even move it around easily as needed.

Also, don't forget to disconnect the battery unless you're okay with your interior lights staying on and draining the battery while you work. My interior lights are fucked up in my car so they don't come on anyway.
            You can pull the door switch to fix that problem.

Comment

Any idea about what pins would be needed for panthers between 83 and 90?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Any idea about what pins would be needed for panthers between 83 and 90?
                The two part numbers listed for the '91. The bottom hinge is smaller. Two doors on the other hand, might be different. Not sure since I don't have a two door on me to measure the pins.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                  You can pull the door switch to fix that problem.
                  Yeah, but that'd be too easy.

Comment

Yeah, but that'd be too easy.
                    I know right? I can see it now, you loosen the nut on the battery cable, it then breaks the clamp. Now you have to get another cable to replace it. But wait, your wife took the only other car, you're nowhere near any parts stores. You're fucked.

Comment

That's why you own more than one vehicle and no wife.

Comment

That's why you own more than one vehicle and no wife.
                        Was just throwing a scenario out there

Comment

Throwing this out there also, bad hinge pins can lead to door sealing problems, door alignment problems, and hard door closings.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                            Throwing this out there also, bad hinge pins can lead to door sealing problems, door alignment problems, and hard door closings.
                            They can also lead to lung cancer and erectile disfunction. However it is VERY rare...
                            -Phil

sigpic

Comment

If left alone, bad hinge pins will eventually chew the fuck out of your hinges too, necessitating the need for either new hinges or a somewhat irritating repair requiring use of a welder, a drill press (or bridgeport) and several careful measurements.

Comment

Working...
                              X