Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info, i'm pretty sure I need to do this to the wagon's front doors.

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

my doors shut easy enough... it's opening them that's hard. Those handles are tough to pull (especially on the rear doors - strong springs and such).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

How can you tell when they're definitely bad? By visually inspection
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

You can tell from your doors sagging. When they're really bad the latch may start having trouble engaging the striker. It may take harder swings to close the door, or you may notice the top of your striker is getting chewed up from the latch smacking against it.

Also, you can test them by opening the door just enough to get a hold on the bottom edge (or the window frame since these cars have those) and tugging straight up and down. You'll feel the door moving independently from the body. If it moves up and down as one piece with the car, or if you're not sure, then don't worry about it.

Comment

instead of gutting the door on a power car, there should be a bulkhead connector right in the kick panel, fish out the connecyor through that body plug in the car side of the jamb.

thats the easy way to do it

usually only the drivers door needs them

Comment

Originally posted by jayh View Post
              instead of gutting the door on a power car, there should be a bulkhead connector right in the kick panel, fish out the connecyor through that body plug in the car side of the jamb.

thats the easy way to do it

usually only the drivers door needs them
              Well said. That's the easy way to do it. Unfortunately a great many cars don't have such a thing - not an easily accessible one at least.

Comment

sure they do, think about the assembly line...

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  my doors shut easy enough... it's opening them that's hard. Those handles are tough to pull (especially on the rear doors - strong springs and such).
                  That could be due to incorrectly aligned door strikers, lack of lubrication.

I have yet to see a bulk harness for the power doors. Though I'm not saying there isn't one. It would be a great help to have one.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                    That could be due to incorrectly aligned door strikers, lack of lubrication.
                    True, and considering the lack of use those doors get, they could just be stuck in their ways so to speak and just need more use to loosen them up. This car has only ever been a single person use vehicle. The passenger front door used occasionally and the rears almost never unless needing more space than the trunk offers. I'll check the alignment with the striker though. I may have goofed a bit when I tightened the doors up.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

get some sprayable penetrating grease and at every oil change, lube all hinges and latches. dont trust the oil change flunkys to do it, do it yourself

Comment

yea i lube hinges with every oil change service.....hinges on my towny are excellent at 204,000 miles

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

True, and considering the lack of use those doors get, they could just be stuck in their ways so to speak and just need more use to loosen them up. This car has only ever been a single person use vehicle. The passenger front door used occasionally and the rears almost never unless needing more space than the trunk offers. I'll check the alignment with the striker though. I may have goofed a bit when I tightened the doors up.
                          Another thing to consider is the door striker bushing. A small plastic cylinder that fits over the striker itself. Over time thees become brittle and fall apart. What happens is you get the dreaded loose door rattle, more so on the rear than the front. Thees can also be found in the Autozone Help section and are super cheap.

To install, remove and disassemble door striker, slide the bushing over the striker, reassemble and reinstall striker. Make any necessary adjustments. Should be able to do all 4 doors in about 30 minutes.

This will also solve the "I have my striker adjusted all the way in and my door still will not sit flush" problem.
                          1991 LTD P72 351 W Restored Century Police (Ongoing Project) Sergeant Vic.

It's a dog eat dog world and I'm wearing milk bone underwear.

Comment

Originally posted by watchdog View Post
                            Another thing to consider is the door striker bushing. A small plastic cylinder that fits over the striker itself. Over time thees become brittle and fall apart. What happens is you get the dreaded loose door rattle, more so on the rear than the front. Thees can also be found in the Autozone Help section and are super cheap.

To install, remove and disassemble door striker, slide the bushing over the striker, reassemble and reinstall striker. Make any necessary adjustments. Should be able to do all 4 doors in about 30 minutes.

This will also solve the "I have my striker adjusted all the way in and my door still will not sit flush" problem.
                            holy zombie post Batman!

nah... that car doesn't have striker bushings... it's just lightly greased metal on metal. I had goofed on the adjustment. I adjusted it again and got it set. Been working great ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              Throwing this out there also, bad hinge pins can lead to door sealing problems, door alignment problems, and hard door closings.
                              I just had this happen over the weekend. I forgot to close the door all the way when I was replacing the interior panels. WHen I moved the car out of the driveway and came to a stop at the end, the door flung open hard against the doorstop. I guess I bent the pin(s) because it closes hard and actually moves up 1/4" when closed. Funny thing is that the door now lines up with the rest of the body. Weird.

Packman

Comment

holy zombie post Batman!

Comment

Working...
                                X