My ''new to me'' 88 ranger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ''new to me'' 88 ranger

So here is how it went down, I decided to upgrade turbo's I am ditching the borg warner S475 in favor of a precision 91mm. My buddy has a 1st gen cummins with an S300 on it right now and he wanted the S475 to do a compound setup with, he happend to have just finished putting a fresh motor in this lil ranger, and I like rangers sooooo, I traded my turbo for a ranger lol.

Now thats out of the way here is a little info on the truck. Its an 88, regular cab, short bed, 2wd, carbed 2.0, 5 speed.

Its an extreme base model and I love it haha

manual brakes, manual steering, manual tranny, manual windows, manual locks, vinyl flooring, no headliner, and it didnt even have a radio or speakers from the factory but the previous owner put one in. And for some reason also took out the bench seat and put buckets out of some car in it, BUUUUUTTT here is the good parts the brackets he made to mount them are like 2'' tall on top of the height of the seats normal mounting brackets, so the seats sit really really high, my head touches the roof when I drive it lol.

So if anyone has a full ranger bench in any color they want to get rid of let me know.

what youve all been waiting for lol pictures

the interior

The sweet ass old school suntune tach

Now I hadnt touched anything on the outside or the interior, but the engine bay needed some attending, as the motor was just put in like a week ago so I tossed some unused stuff tightened some loose bolts and plugged alot of loose vacuum lines at the carb anywho

Its a carbed 2.0 with a header off a 96 ranger
    and yes the engine is cummins beige

So any helpful hints or pointers for this carb I only found one adjustment screw and there are lots of plugged vacuum lines to nowhere

but it does run really good right now you can be at like 1000rpm in third and stomp it to the floor and it will not stumble it just accels so I can complain.
    A may buy an intake and put a holley 350cfm 2bbl on it tho cause I like holleys, I know how to tune them, and well its alot more pretty then this motorcraft junk.

here is the only adjusting screw I see on the lower left of the carb, after I plugged the vacuum lines I had to turn it clockwise like 1/2 to 3/4 turn to get the idle back up to where it needed to be.

I am not a carb dummy by any means just I have never messed with a motorcraft like this and I dont know whats where and what does what haha

Anywho thats it for now I hope you all like it

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

the old ranger s lol.......i had a 84......gutless pig
    i have a 88 bronco II that wont die.......256,000 miles on its rusted shell of once a pretty truck lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Me likey!
      That thing just screams 5.0 HO or 2.3 turbo swap though.......

"the ranger station" would be your best bet for info on that truck.
      "rangerpowersports used to be pretty good too.
      "ranger-forums" (also known as RF) has a lot of traffic, but more towards the newer stuff.
      Then there's generation-edge.info, not a lot of traffic there there, but one of the mods (Zoom) used to have a truck just like yours with the same motor.
      Former panther owner
      1981 CV 351 4bbl
      1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

My family drove an 87 that looked nearly identical inside. Was red outside so it had the same interior as yours.. Those pictures seriously take me back there.

thanks.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Im glad you confirmed the s scott I had read somthing about it on the net but there not much info about the s model I assumed it was one since its so basic but wasnt sure.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

I like it a lot.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

It's fucked up seeing an engine bay that empty. Damn, I still wish I had one of these things. I'll have to buy one, I think
              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

my buddy has one of them with low miles. compared to todays crap, its a nice simple truck that the average person can work on.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

seats look like pontiac, either firebird or sunbird

I would lose the running boards, but maybe its only me

Comment

Don't worry all the old man stuff is coming off I just wanted to show you guys before I did anything to it.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                    Big plans

Comment

Is that a box coolant/washer tank?
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

That's a nice little Ranger. Those headers must add a little mpgs. Is this a project or a DD? I wish I still had my '92 Ranger XLT.

Packman

Comment

Oh, that is beautifully simple!
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

nice little truck plan and simple

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                            302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                            k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                              Is that a box coolant/washer tank?
                              yes!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X