X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KYB: gr2 vs gas-a-just?

What's the deal?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

pretty sure that gas-a-just is a variable rate shock, that works like variable rate springs--the more you compress it the firmer it gets. But I could be wrong.

What I'm sure of is that both gr2 and gas-a-just shocks have gotten excellent reviews by members of this forum, and it's unlikely you'd go wrong with either one.

What you should know is the only difference between police and non-police shocks is the valving. They fit the same.

For example: I have gr2's with police valving on my civilian-spec wagon, and the difference in the handling was pretty impressive, even with my mostly worn-out springs. Unless you're really into the "nothing gets through" ride of your vehicle as is, you will definitely appreciate the somewhat firmer police shocks.
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

thanks!
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

....and I like the non-road feel that exists in these cars, but don't much like bottoming out ever or dipping so much in a corner

and, besides, cop shocks

Last edited by 1990LTD; 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

the gas a justs have a higher gas charge......they are a little stiffer than the gr2's

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

The standard GR2 is a little firmer than stock, police a little firmer than that, and the gas-a-just the firmest of the 3. Police shocks are a nice middle ground, and probably are what I'll change to next I need shocks.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i've got a cop sway bar, wagon coils and gas-a-justs and love the setup. thier not to stiff at all but make the ass end feel really good handling wise. They are also designed to give better traction because the design uses the gas charge to always be pushing downward on the tire to the pavement. It didn't make sense to me but i would spin off the line with stock shocks, and i didn't after the gas-a-justs... but with gears and motor mods i spin again haha.
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

interesting.... maybe next time i need shocks ill upgrade to the gas-a-just! You say that the ride harshness didnt really seem to increase that much?
                -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I will like it muchly if it doesn't give the car a harsher ride
                  sigpic

Comment

I just put GR2s on my 85 towncar, and had gas-a-justs on my 97 Grand Marq. Not exactly apples to apples but I liked the gas-a-justs better, firmer but not harsh imo.

Pete
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

I just got a quote from the same place that did my mufflers..KYB gas-a-just cop shocks all around, with Moog regular rate wagon springs in the rear and cop springs in the front, $1000 installed.

So, who wants to tell me how to replace shocks and springs?
                      sigpic

Comment

Holy shit.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I can get the shocks and springs for about half of that. Not a fucking chance I'm paying 500 dollars worth of labor to install shocks and springs.

I have no idea how to remove the current ones and replace them, I imagine I need some kind of spring compressor to get them out/in. As for the shocks, do they just unbolt at each end/eye?

Would it really be that hard to learn and do for myself?

A member here offered to sell me his almost-new springs when he redoes his suspension soon. I have no idea how much these are going to cost or how many miles will be on them, but if they're Moog I don't think a few miles will have hurt them too badly

What do you guys think, do I wait and buy the springs from the GMNer and buy the shocks and do all of the work myself? Or are used springs a no-no?
                          Last edited by 1990LTD; 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I was mistaken. RockAuto price for gr2s, moog variable wagon rear and sedan hd front

Total $700.34

283 of that is shipping
                            sigpic

Comment

WOW! that seems aweful high for parts....hmm the rear is easy jack the rear of the car up, place jack stands under it for safety, support the axle with jacks....the rear shocks just unbolt and come out, then slowly lower the axle and you will be able to remove the rear springs by hand....opposite process to install, i think thats all for the rear....the fronts more of a bitch, I'll let someone else explain that

I suggest getting a haynes or chilton manual from the parts store, or both, they are invaluable and have helped me countless times.
                              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Working...
                              X