No announcement yet.

KYB: gr2 vs gas-a-just?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forget what I said, for some reason (I'm thinking autocomplete or something) it filled in the quantity fields as 2 when I put the coils in my cart AFTER I put 2x for front and rear shocks

415 shipped. That's better.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ahhhh i was gunna say! lol, yeah that is much better.
      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Do you need to do shocks and springs at the same time? I would like to, to make things more efficient, but if possible I may do shocks first and springs later. If it's easier to do it all at once that's the way I will try to go.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

It will be less time consuming to do them all at once, and a bit easier, but it can be done separately.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

500 labor to change 4 shocks, 4 springs sounds about right.....front springs are a pita and the rear shocks are a pita......lotta time involved there

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Holy fuck, I had no idea it would be so expensive. Looks like if it happens, I'll be buying the parts and either doing it myself or having my mechanic (oil pan pump etc replacement: 225. he works cheap) do it.

If I end up getting the coils from the member here that told me about getting rid of his, it'll be even cheaper still.

They really take a long time, huh? Are we looking at a full day sort of thing?
              sigpic

Comment

I have never done springs/shocks on any of these cars, but from doing my moms olds would say that it shouldn't take longer than a day. Of course I have been known to be wrong. I usually bank on a day for any of my projects so I don't feel rushed, although I gave myself the whole weekend on the PS pump and only really needed like 6 hours, and 2hrs was hunting down and yanking another pulley (because I bent mine using the wrong puller) in a scrapyard.
                "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                1985 GMC 1500

Comment

anyone know of a hydraulic spring compressor that will work on a box? Would save LOADS of time for me replacing the bushings (not to mention the strain on my body from having to hand crank the brake-over bar around with those manual clamps).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm watching this thread with interest, since I have to change the control arm bushings on my box I'm changing the front springs too...

The rears I've got down to less than 4 hours easily for the complete change. Rear of car on jack stands, jack under side of axle you're working on, sharp 12" metal blade on a reciprocating saw for the top bolt (have some spares handy)(watch the various lines on the drivers side), cut the sway bar link (if they're old/bad might as well change them, assuming you've got a rear sway bar), unbolt the bottom of the shock, it'll drop out, lower the jack on the side you're working on, jack up the other side of the axle a fair amount (to seesaw the side you're working on down), the factory spring should just be sitting in there kinda loose, yank or pry it out (always be careful with car springs, make sure they're not under tension - they can kill you if under tension!!!), sit the cargo coil in there (it'll be shorter so you'll have to lower the other side somewhat). Be sure the spring is seated properly before installing the shock.

Then ka-bam, tack the lower shock bolt in, tighten the top (you might have to jack up the axle a bit, a racheting combination wrench is great for tightening the top bolt, 7/16 iirc), just hold or even spin the top part of the shock itself to help tighten it. KYBs use a second nut on the top as a locker, install it, tighten the bottom bolt, wala'! On to the other side.

Don't forget to install stabilizer pins before taking the car down New sway bar bushings might be nice too.

I also spray all visible lines with oil while I'm under there.

Fronts, I await the experts too . Years ago, a buddy made up a spring compressor out of a bumper jack, the spring went through the side of his garage

Pete
                    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

kyb gas adjust & rear cop springs

Hey. For what it's worth , I just installed 4 gas adjust shocks (police) and new take out police rear springs in my 99 G Marquis on the weekend. I consider myself a fairly good backyard mechanic. It took me 8 hours, mainly because of the poor access to the top rear shock bolts. The rear shocks are a real bitch. Got my shocks at Jegs. Love the rake and feel of my new ride.
                      99 GRAND MARQUIS
                      98 F150 STX
                      69 MUSTANG MACH 1 428 SCJ

Comment

I don't see anyone mentioning my favorite shock Bilstein. Have them in the E150, Volvo 740 Turbo and it looks like none in the new GM since they are no longer listed. Bilsteins last forever and have the best rebound control available. www.allshocks.com lists up to 2002 GM. Bilsteins, set of ADDCO sway bars and now the E150 Conversion Van handles like a... well it out corners pickups.
                        sigpic
                        2009 GM, 45,000 miles
                        ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

yeah... personally I don't like KYB (KYBreaks) cause I've known too many people that have had them flat break on them after not much time (usually a week to a month when they do just blow) but this was also the oil filled models. I've had better experience with monroe (though they are not that great either... just wear out quicker than I would like) and I'm currently using gabriel ultra on the vic (still stock on the MGM). The vic corners like a compact car now. Had the ultras on there for a year now and there is no change (and I would know since i don't drive that one much since it's my wife's daily driver). The only problem I have with Blisten is price. They know their worth and charge for it. I got the full set (all 4) for the vic for the price of ONE Blisten and have no complaints about the gabriel shocks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I just got a quote from the same place that did my mufflers..KYB gas-a-just cop shocks all around, with Moog regular rate wagon springs in the rear and cop springs in the front, $1000 installed.
                            yeah canadian prices, I live close to michigan so I rip over the border for all my parts... samn near half price and 10 the selection we have over here.

anyone can do the rear shocks and springs with only a jack and wrenches (shit tonnes of patience and time are also needed). front shocks are no prob but the springs require a compressor and would be a good job to have someone else do...so might as well get them to do the front shocks while their at it.
                            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Rear springs are a piece of cake. The fronts flat suck though. I don't know of any hydraulic compressors that will do the job. I'd really love to find the correct plate style compressor though. Those use the frame and a plate to compress the spring in place, rather than sitting inside the spring with hooks. It would make positioning things a ton easier since the spring would be where it belongs, and all you'd need to do is swing the control arm into place and put the nut on the ball joint. No fighting trying to get the spring in there at just the right angle so the screw doesn't jam against the frame, and then poking around at the parts to the compressor to get it back out of the spring once its all bolted up.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So the general consensus is:

rear springs: okay
                                rear shocks: okay
                                front shocks: okay
                                front springs: rotten bastards

?

Might do everything myself (or with assistance) besides the front springs if it's within the realm of possibility. Could get the shop to do the front springs.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X