No announcement yet.

KYB: gr2 vs gas-a-just?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't be using these as my only resource obviously, but does anyone have any up close pictures of the springs or shocks installed?
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

May as well have the front shocks installed with the springs if you're planning on doing this soon. They have to come out to remove the coil. I'd also consider doing control arm bushings and probably lower ball joints while you're in there.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        May as well have the front shocks installed with the springs if you're planning on doing this soon. They have to come out to remove the coil. I'd also consider doing control arm bushings and probably lower ball joints while you're in there.

Might as well keep going and just install new motor mounts while you are at it. Best to install those with all of the suspension stuff removed.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't know what either of you are talking about, sorry for the n00bage motor mount is self explanatory but I don't know jack about suspension, and as such, don't know how it's all put together...control arms, ball joints, blah blah blah.

I know we've got coil springs but what type of coil spring suspension do these cars have? I've been reading about types of suspensions online but I don't know where our cars fit in.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

ok, picture time. THis is a 98-02 front suspension assembly, but its basically the same. The upper control arm looks different on your car, but its close enough for illustration purposes.

The lower control arm is the large A shaped thing on the bottom of the stack. The bushings are what the bolts go through to actually attach it to the frame. This is the pivot point for the arm. They consist of an outer metal sleeve, a rubber core, and an inner metal sleeve. The rubber deteriorates over time, and the inner metal sleeve doesn't stay centered in the bushing. What this means is the lower control arm sort of moves around, and not how its supposed to. The arm is supposed to move only in an arc. When the bushings fail, it will move in and out, and it can also twist, pushing the ball joint forward and backwards relative to where it belongs. This produces mushy vague steering and poor handling. The Panther suspension is pretty forgiving of worn out parts so it won't be as obvious as it is on some other cars, but you will notice a difference going from 20 year old deteriorated rubber bushings to new ones. You'll notice the upper control arm also has rubber bushings. On your car, the upper arm is a big stamped steel thing, and it has a shaft that goes through the bushings where it bolts to the frame. Those bushings also go bad.
            Last edited by gadget73; 04-10-2010, 01:27 PM.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

gadget you rock

what's going down the middle of the coil?
              sigpic

Comment

shock
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

thought so. tanks!
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm assuming rear suspension is a whole lot simpler since it doesn't need to do any steering?
                    sigpic

Comment

pretty much. once you crawl under the car, you'll see everything. The hardest part about the rear is getting a wrench on the top of the shocks to remove them. a 90 degree air ratchet is VERY handy here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

if you can get an air ratchet in there. Usually I've had to jam an open end wrench on the nut, and spin the shock out. Putting it back together again is sort of interesting, but once you get the nut, washer, and donut in position its pie.

Comment

ya know... that makes it sound a LOT easier. I guess I wasn't looking at it the right way.

Another thought... next time I'm under there screwing with stuff... I'm gonna wear some safety goggles over my glasses... lots of old dirt likes to fall off at the slightest touch.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

for the top nuts on the rear shock mounts i just turned the nut in the direction of tightening it and rocked the stud back and forth, with the help of a long pipe for leverage. This just snapped the stud off and saved me some time.
                            the lower rear shock bolts are basterds and you'll have to get crafty in getting them off, but use a good 1/2x3" bolt for your new shocks so you can mangle the existing ones if you like. I put f-150 shocks in the rear to accomodate the taller wagon springs, so the stock replacement shocks for a merc might use a 5/8" bolt i believe.

front shocks take an hour tops for both and no problems.

[IMG][/IMG]
                            [IMG][/IMG]
                            Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                            HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

AWESOME

thanks guys
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                                pretty much. once you crawl under the car, you'll see everything. The hardest part about the rear is getting a wrench on the top of the shocks to remove them. a 90 degree air ratchet is VERY handy here.
                                I use a 12" metal blade on a recip saw, eeeheeheeheeheeheeheehee bap! Done. Watch for various lines.

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                                .. I'm gonna wear some safety goggles over my glasses... lots of old dirt likes to fall off at the slightest touch.
                                It's just not right, working under a car and not getting rust it your eye

Pete
                                For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                                1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                                1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                                X