This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New rule. (4/3/10)

From now on, do NOT ask for advice on how to fix rust holes/dents/other physical damage without posting some sort of visual aid. This means a photograph of the damage, or some other sort of illustration to figure out what we're dealing with. If you don't have a camera, fine, but don't expect to get the best advice you can without providing something we can examine. The more photos (angles) the better.

This is ridiculous. Probably 75% of the threads I see in here looking for advice include no pictures of the area in question. How do you expect us to really give you the best help we can with no pictures? The bulk of autobody work is aesthetic, which means it's about what you can see. The best way for us to help you is to see the problem with our own eyes so we can visualize how we'd tackle it and then type some sort of suggestion or solution out for you.

I hate to be a hardon about it, but this is pretty fucking frustrating to have to ask for a photo every time someone asks how they should go about fixing a problem. It's hard enough diagnosing shit over the internet. It doesn't need to be even harder by trying to imagine what the damage might or might not look like.

If you don't provide a photo, that says to me that you don't really care that much about fixing it.

Your not being a hard ass about anything, its not that hard to snap a pic and put it up. rust and dents can very so much it is hard to determine the best/most appropriate way to deal with it.
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Edited by moderator......Reason: No fooling around. Read the rules....

Jus' kidden 87gtVIC

Yo man...

I gotz dis dent in da back, near da wheel. How's I supposed to fix dat, yo? I was thinkin some bondo and shiz, but shit, homey...

Y'all got any ideas?
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Yo man...

I gotz dis dent in da back, near da wheel. How's I supposed to fix dat, yo? I was thinkin some bondo and shiz, but shit, homey...

Y'all got any ideas?
        22's
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

No fooling around?

My life has been a waste!!!
          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
            Edited by moderator......Reason: No fooling around. Read the rules....

Jus' kidden 87gtVIC

Yo man...

Y'all got any ideas?
            dents aren't worth fixing. I recommend drawing attention away from the dent rather than fixing it.

if you paint the car orange, lift it six inches, and put 24" tires on it I guarantee no one will be looking at the dent

Comment

Cheesesteak Jim's Auto Body Repair.....

Well pop those dents right out!

1985 GMC 1500

Comment

But in all seriousness what Nick is demanding is very important. How can one fix what they cannot see?
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

This is very true, and I apologize for my childish antics...
                  I should probably start paying attention more.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    How can one fix what they cannot see?
                    Even a blind dog gets a bone once in a while.

And remember, even Stevie Wonder can tell the color of Volkswagens.

Comment

i apologize if this was in response to my floor board post... in my defense i did post pictures...it was just a little late XD
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                        Even a blind girl gets a bone once in a while.
                        It's better this way.
                        Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                        i apologize if this was in response to my floor board post... in my defense i did post pictures...it was just a little late XD
                        It wasn't targeting you specifically Phil, it was just that several recent threads have finally bothered me enough to lay down the law. Either way, it's ridiculous how common it is and it should be discouraged.

Comment

i feel ya. makes sense.
                          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                            Cheesesteak Jim's Auto Body Repair.....

Well pop those dents right out!

Taste the rainbow, man.

You don't even notice all the dents in that front fender with a job like that!

Comment

Working...
                            X