windsheild removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

windsheild removal

any good tips on how to remove a front windshield , want to re/re my 91 CV.

Remove exterior trim with trim removal tool. Remove all interior trim including dash pad around the windshield. somehow attach a metal putty knife to a Sawzall and carefully work yourself around the windshield with that contraption. I seen it done before my own eyes this past January I had my windshield resealed. Guy came with a Sawzall that had a putty knife attached to it and it separated the old urethane from the car and glass no problem. Make sure to lubricate the areas you are working on.

Once the windshield is out start scraping away at the window frames to remove all of the old adhesive.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

+1 on all the trim removal. iv pulled windshilds and glass from my cars and others many times and 2 screw drivers and strong mechanics wire is the best thing if you dont wanna spend alot of money on tools. what i usally do is try to make a hole in the sealer so you can get the wire through. 2feet of wire is lots. wrap each screwdriver on each end of the wire. now to do this properly, you need 2 people, on guy in the car and a guy on the out side. with each guy on each end of the wire, pull in a start direction with a sawing motion, keep the wire close to the glass to kkep it from cracking or shattering. im not the best at explaining things but, you get the picture lol. and if the windshield has been replaced, the sealer will be easier to cut through.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

my way is MUCH safer. :p
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Piano wire, and a cordless drill. Or you could pay someone to take it out.

Comment

can you explain how the two work together?
            ~David~

Comment

Drill a hole in the silicone with a small drill bit. Stick the piano wire through, grab a friend, wear some strong work gloves so you don't cut yourself, work the wire back and forth with a gentle pulling motion to cut the silicone seal.

Comment

pretty much what i said but, i never had to use a drill lol and its urathaine sealer lol

Comment

For some reason the wire seems safer than the putty knife sawzall to me, but that is just because although Im sure there is a flat attachment, I just picture a putty knife duct taped to a sawzall blade running full tilt into the window.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I thought the drill might help speed the starting process? :p

Comment

lol...i had to use the putty knife trick on my 2door to get the rear quarter glass out. i was scared as hell of chipping the glass or putting pressure on in the wrong place. i could just picture it shattering lol

Comment

The guy was from Safelite autoglass and it was a professional attachment he had...no duct tape. He sprayed water to lubricate things then just wedged the putty knife in the sealer and then started the tool at an angle. Made fast work of removing the windshield. This is way less destructive then to brutes playing tug of war with a piece of glass in between.
                        ~David~

Comment

the wire trick isent as hard as it seems. its quite easy actually.

Comment

I am a big believer in seeing and believing..I saw this guy make quick work of my window and now I am convinced. If I see the wire trick done successfully I would be on board as well. The only thing with the wire that has me worried is the fact that the glass is recessed into a channel and the wire potentially makes a lot of contact with the glass.
                            ~David~

Comment

lol, iv done the wire trick 3 times since november and never had any dammage. like said though, the glass guys have the right tools and the tricks

Comment

Working...
                              X