No announcement yet.

windsheild removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you gentlemen for the advise on breaking seal, i have used the wire cut many times but the sawzall sounds interesting.

Comment

The sawzall way must be relatively new and the wire trick is old school.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhzFl...eature=related

Comment

good video!!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
            I am a big believer in seeing and believing..I saw this guy make quick work of my window and now I am convinced. If I see the wire trick done successfully I would be on board as well. The only thing with the wire that has me worried is the fact that the glass is recessed into a channel and the wire potentially makes a lot of contact with the glass.
            It's harder than it looks.

Comment

I love the tool in that video. That looks incredibly easy except on vehicles that have a lot of dash, or a dash that's at a funny angle such as some GM minivans, Dodge vans, Chrysler Sebrings, etc. That might end up being a pain.

There's probably ten different ways to do it. The cheapest way is mechanic's wire and just sawing it back and forth. The one thing to remember is that wire gets HOT, like burning a line into your hand if you touch it hot. It'll also accidentally melt the urethane and reseal your cuts if you're not careful. Sprinkling flour on the urethane as you go will help discourage it from resealing. You also could spray it with cold water to keep it relatively cool, but keep in mind that a hot wire will actually cut through the urethane faster than a cold one.

If you're replacing a windshield, I really wouldn't bother doing it unless you're getting new glass for free. It's just not worth it to buy the glass and then replace it yourself. It's more cost-effective to just pay someone to do it. I know how to and have done a few of them, but I'm just gonna pay someone to do my El Camino. Then you have a warranty if it leaks or breaks, which you wouldn't have if you did it yourself. Glass is a pain in the balls.

Comment

Thats the tool!
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                X