No announcement yet.

'87 MGM 2DSD LS, new to forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To marquisman and 87gtvic, the blinders serve no other purpose than for looks. They actually cut the upper part of the beam (which is a detriment) when you see the difference. They appear to throw the beam a little farther though.

A while back, I purchased some H1/H4 headlight bodies, that could accept the Sylvania "Xenarc High Intensity Discharge" system. They look like the sealed beam bulbs but have no vacuum and accept the HID turn/lock bulb setup, like how the taillight bulbs lock in. I never installed them since:
    1) The headlight frame bracket screws and mounts are rusty and barely stay on
    2) I am worried than the Xenarc HID lights require an initial burst of 70-95W to get the arc to ignite (the reduce to 40W when powered), and might burnout the ancient wiring or fusable links - I never bit that bullet.
    **This idea was the real reason for using the chrome blnders - so as to correct the headlight dispersal pattern, and yes not blind everyone on the road with Xenon arcs.

For 91grandmarquis, those Centerline Pulsars ran $1000 cash total in 1999, and the vogue tyres $880 cash. This old guy who owned an automoble fabrication shop in Lindenhurst (NY) - his store called RodTech measured/ordered the wheels and tires for me. They leave the 3 1/2" backspace.

His idea was that, if I were to persist with the car, to keep it looking "classy" rather than the geometric Progressive racing wheels. He also told me how to fabricate skirts for the rear tire wells, but I never attempted that project. He made fabrication sound so easy. If I didn't have a full-time job (after NAPA) I would've trained under him as an apprentice - too bad for me.

A word about RodTech - I befriended this guy when I used to delivery autoparts for Napa way back, and he helped me out since he saw this desire I had to make this car a street rod. His suggestion was to ditch this one and get an old car to modify or "have more fun with",or switch out the rear for a Posi.

This was the sort of guy folks went to, who saw a car on a calendar and said "I want this car". He would then fabricate the car from scratch from memory, shaping all the metal by hand - not with a power hammer. Unfortunately he sold his shop and moved to SC before I had money to have him modify my MGM.
    Last edited by BigMikeIT; 04-21-2010, 12:06 AM.
    sigpic
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Mo impromptu pics (manual exposure at dusk):
      11) With the blinders - need to weld little covers for blinders to cover gems
      12) Butta leather seats with stuff - Blue Coral leather cream works wonders
      13) Premium sound - back then 8" woofer in door
      14) Mo butta rear leather seats
      15) Dusk pose
      Attached Files
      sigpic
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
      302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
      COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

Thats awsome. I used to have the same headlight covers on my old 84 merc 2 dr

1980 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Signature Series
        351 4 bbl, AOD, 3.08 open
        duel exhaust with cherry bombs

Comment

Mike my '86 GM Tudor 5.0 sits on the streets of NYC...........and as such the salt has done a job on certain areas of the body, but the interior is beautiful and the car rides excellent. I would love to strip and paint her, but no way as long as the car lives on the streets of the Apple:-(

Comment

Mike,
            My '87 MGM tudor is white with a tan cloth interior and the wire wheel covers. Yours is the closest in appearance to mine that I've seen here so far.
            1987 Grand Marquis LS two door, trying to get to the 60,000 mile mark.

Comment

Welcome. That is a sharp ride.

Comment

Greetings Mike!
                I am in NYC by way of Valley Stream, LOL.........have a '86 MGM Tudor............Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0077.JPG
Views:	10
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1274366

Comment

Working...
                X