PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

Default 1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

I was looking through all my old posts and whatnot and I figured I needed an "official" thread for Cherry. Should've just kept one thread from the beginning, but hey, never too late to start organizing right?

Previous Cherry Bomb Threads...

Photo Shoot March 2007:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15336

Photo Shoot July 2007:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=17362

Train Horns:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25567

Now services with Scott...

First service, December 2007:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=20124
    Highlights from this service were the new water pump and cargo coils.

Second service, June 2009:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27457
    Highlights would be new gas tank, 155lph fuel pump, 98-02 steering box, KYB Gas-A-Just 1 1/8" sway bar up front and 1" bar in back.

Third service, October 2009:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t=31184&page=2
    Highlights include 3AG alternator, TransGo shift kit, three-core radiator, new fuel sender and float, and new heater core.

She's been through Hell and back since I've bought her. A teenage driving world is much different than the comfy cozy grandpa life she used to live. I bought the HHR to replace her as a daily driver, but my girlfriend Sarah prefers the HHR over Cherry. So Cherry is once again cruising down the highway daily. Currently I'm averaging 23mpg and since I prefer my panther over some compact, I have no problem with letting her drive the HHR.

So anyways, here she is in her current condition after a quick wash and wax after a brutal winter...sorry for the crappy pictures, my cell phone wants to downsize everything all of a sudden...

The fender skirts were tore off when bad conditions caused Sarah to go off the road...one skirt was damaged and the lower rear quarter on the passenger side was dented (thus why I didn't want to picture that side).

Current projects going on right now...just replaced the small air horns controlled by the steering wheel with a cheapy regular horn that actually works. The compressors that drove my train horns both burned up and am awaiting new ones, so I needed something, and unreliable cheap airhorns wouldn't cut it.

I'm working on replacing most lights with LEDs. Just put in an electronic flasher so I can start replacing the tails. Depending on money, I'll be looking for a sequential turn signal kit too.

More to come as things progress... A wishlist will follow here shortly.

- 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - 1994 Ford F150 XL - 1958 Mercury Medalist - 2005 H-D Sportster XL1200C

GMN Regular

Looks nice and clean! Have you ever considered up-grading to alloy rims?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Always good to have spare parts!

Default Wish/To Do List

So assuming the car survives, as it has become quite the target for local idiot drivers (lots of near misses here recently), I have an extensive list of what I would like to see happen with this car.

Performance / Engine / Suspension

- 302 HO, with 2.5" dual exhaust. By the time this happens, the car will probably have Historic tags, and I won't need to worry about emissions. So no cats. Currently leaning towards Cherrybomb glasspacks, but am also considering just lake pipes.
    - 3.55 locker
    - Big brakes
    - Better air intake, I have a Townie fan shroud and tanks to go in, along with a 91 air intake. Just need to find time to make things work with the 88 inner fender.
    - Push Button shifter ($1000 kit, definitely just a wish)
    - Air bags are possible. With the on-board air system I've been considering them, but not sure if I wanna do it yet...be neat, but I don't know. Thoughts would be appreciated on how it would affect handling and all.

Exterior
    - NEW PAINT, clear is starting to go, not looking very pretty. I want a deeper red color, possible two-tone. Need to draw up some ideas.
    - Still split on the vinyl. Might slick top it, might redye it dark red or possibly black. No idea yet...depends on the color I choose for the car.
    - New fender skirts, full length down to the rocker panel trim. A few possible ideas for how to do this, again, need to hit the drawing board.
    - Continental kit
    - AM/FM/TV/CB Boomerang antenna flanked by two raked shorty antennas on the trunk lid, shave the stock antenna
    - Currently have a set of 15" turbines being sand-blasted, gonna be color-coded a dark red like the Lincolns used to be, but will have to be replaced for big-brakes.
    - Wide white wall tires
    - Headlight, grille, and taillights are going back to chrome

Interior / Electronics
    - Front bucket seats, with center console with gauge display and CB radio
    - Possible red interior swap
    - Replace all lights with LEDs
    - Add LED light bars to illuminate rear seat well
    - Sequential turn signals
    - Considering adding dual chrome spot lights
    - New stereo and speakers all around, two 8" subs where spare used to be

Just For Fun
    - Increase train horn pressure from 125psi to at least 200psi...louder is better.
    - Fog lights behind the grille that wig-wag when the train horn is blown
    - A bell to complete the train horn set up
    - Possible air whistle too...
    - Let's add Dixie horns to the mix...

The idea is to give an overall 50's theme, a la Turnpike Cruiser...with a little more bite than what it had back then. I want something I can have a little fun in playing around with the ricers, but then set the cruise on the highway and let it roll. And of course, I prefer to have something one-of-a-kind, that I can say I'm the only one to have.

- 2007 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - 1994 Ford F150 XL - 1958 Mercury Medalist - 2005 H-D Sportster XL1200C

Quote Originally Posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
    Looks nice and clean! Have you ever considered up-grading to alloy rims?
    Amazing how little pictures can make things look...

But I do have a set of turbines that are being sand blasted by a buddy of mine. I'm gonna paint the inside of the fins a dark red color similar to what the Lincoln Marks had. But of course, they will have to go to the wayside whenever I wanna upgrade to big brakes...

I like everything you have in mind for the car! Nice organization of the threads as well. The Cherry Bomb is definitely a looker.:heyhey:
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Just spoke with the guy who supplied my train horns.

When he installed the air system in the trunk, he drilled through the fuel tank. And now both pumps have ceased working. So for compensation, he's offered to find me a set of better 125psi compressors.

I've asked him to run the numbers to increase the system to 200psi. This will not only make my train horns louder, but will give me that extra boost I'd like if I decide to install airbags.

I should hear from him next week with his end of the proposal.

screwy Hornblasters.com (train horns for car)

Hornblasters

Some place actually sells setups.

Video of users:
    Some tools on youtube spooking folks

1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
    302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
    COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

New toys, thanks to Justin.

Still need to get my turbines finished, but in the mean time, I thought I would try a different look with a set of older Lincoln hub caps. I think they look pretty neat, just need some wider white walls now...

Still waiting to be played with...new air box, '90 Town Car fan shroud and tanks, Tripminder, and fog lamps. Whenever work and daylight allow me...

New compressors should be here sometime this month.

It's all about ME! monterey1962's Avatar

Those look awesome on your car. Very classy.
    Three's company. Six is a fleet.

1978 F-150 Custom
    1989 Crown Victoria LX
    1995 F-150 XLT
    1998 Crown Victoria LX
    2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport
    2011 Mustang GT

still looking good scott!
    hows she running?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    still looking good scott!
    hows she running?
    She's a little rough and tends to stall while shifting if I've got the A/C on, but other than that, she's running great. I drive her more than I do the HHR. :smirk:

Oh you gotta put glass packs on, theres nothing like it.

love the lincoln hubcaps on mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

GMN Regular

I have a set of those hub-caps. They were on my '79 TC before I up-graded to turbines.
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Always good to have spare parts!

New air compressors ordered. Air horn will be back up and running and charged to 200psi before Scottfest.

http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/Dual380C.html

Should get here in about a week. Pics will come of the install.

Default Trip to Skippyville #4

Just got back from Skippyville. Cherry has been up there for about two weeks. The orginal exhaust fell off on my way to work and various running problems developed over the last month or so.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=39888

So now she has a new dual exhaust with Cherry Bomb glasspacks, and a whole mess of new parts to keep her running happy.

Now I need to at least get them new compressors mounted in the trunk...Scottfest ain't too far away...

New compressors are installed and operational. Train horns are working once again. For 200psi, the horns don't really sound louder to me, I may have a clogged trumpet. I'll have to take 'em off one day and see if I can find something.

I'll try to snag some pictures tomorrow of the new pumps and how everything inside the trunk looks now.

woo! congrats on potm mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

New compressor setup. Two Viair 380Cs pumping out 200psi to the air horns.

Cleaned the car, vacuumed up the interior and shampooed the trunk out. Was gonna get pictures of everything else but didn't have enough time to scout out a good area and have a photo session. So hopefully I'll get some good ones up at ScottFest.
    Last edited by MrMarquis; 08-05-2010 at 10:37 PM.

Took some pictures while she was clean for ScottFest.

Grabbed some stainless rain guards while at the junkyard, but didn't know there were clips that went with 'em...at least I got the inside painted black. So once I get some clips, I'll have rain guards!

And I'm down to searching for taillights and then I'll have everything I need to replace the blackout with chrome again, and will two complete sets so I can switch the color around whenever.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast