1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

I was looking through all my old posts and whatnot and I figured I needed an "official" thread for Cherry. Should've just kept one thread from the beginning, but hey, never too late to start organizing right?

Previous Cherry Bomb Threads...

Photo Shoot March 2007:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=15336

Photo Shoot July 2007:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=17362

Train Horns:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=25567

Now services with Scott...

First service, December 2007:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=20124
    Highlights from this service were the new water pump and cargo coils.

Second service, June 2009:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27457
    Highlights would be new gas tank, 155lph fuel pump, 98-02 steering box, KYB Gas-A-Just 1 1/8" sway bar up front and 1" bar in back.

Third service, October 2009:
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...t=31184&page=2
    Highlights include 3AG alternator, TransGo shift kit, three-core radiator, new fuel sender and float, and new heater core.

She's been through Hell and back since I've bought her. A teenage driving world is much different than the comfy cozy grandpa life she used to live. I bought the HHR to replace her as a daily driver, but my girlfriend Sarah prefers the HHR over Cherry. So Cherry is once again cruising down the highway daily. Currently I'm averaging 23mpg and since I prefer my panther over some compact, I have no problem with letting her drive the HHR.

So anyways, here she is in her current condition after a quick wash and wax after a brutal winter...sorry for the crappy pictures, my cell phone wants to downsize everything all of a sudden...

The fender skirts were tore off when bad conditions caused Sarah to go off the road...one skirt was damaged and the lower rear quarter on the passenger side was dented (thus why I didn't want to picture that side).

Current projects going on right now...just replaced the small air horns controlled by the steering wheel with a cheapy regular horn that actually works. The compressors that drove my train horns both burned up and am awaiting new ones, so I needed something, and unreliable cheap airhorns wouldn't cut it.

I'm working on replacing most lights with LEDs. Just put in an electronic flasher so I can start replacing the tails. Depending on money, I'll be looking for a sequential turn signal kit too.

More to come as things progress... A wishlist will follow here shortly.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Looks nice and clean! Have you ever considered up-grading to alloy rims?
    '79 Continental Town Car
    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Wish/To Do List

So assuming the car survives, as it has become quite the target for local idiot drivers (lots of near misses here recently), I have an extensive list of what I would like to see happen with this car.

Performance / Engine / Suspension

- 302 HO, with 2.5" dual exhaust. By the time this happens, the car will probably have Historic tags, and I won't need to worry about emissions. So no cats. Currently leaning towards Cherrybomb glasspacks, but am also considering just lake pipes.
      - 3.55 locker
      - Big brakes
      - Better air intake, I have a Townie fan shroud and tanks to go in, along with a 91 air intake. Just need to find time to make things work with the 88 inner fender.
      - Push Button shifter ($1000 kit, definitely just a wish)
      - Air bags are possible. With the on-board air system I've been considering them, but not sure if I wanna do it yet...be neat, but I don't know. Thoughts would be appreciated on how it would affect handling and all.

Exterior
      - NEW PAINT, clear is starting to go, not looking very pretty. I want a deeper red color, possible two-tone. Need to draw up some ideas.
      - Still split on the vinyl. Might slick top it, might redye it dark red or possibly black. No idea yet...depends on the color I choose for the car.
      - New fender skirts, full length down to the rocker panel trim. A few possible ideas for how to do this, again, need to hit the drawing board.
      - Continental kit
      - AM/FM/TV/CB Boomerang antenna flanked by two raked shorty antennas on the trunk lid, shave the stock antenna
      - Currently have a set of 15" turbines being sand-blasted, gonna be color-coded a dark red like the Lincolns used to be, but will have to be replaced for big-brakes.
      - Wide white wall tires
      - Headlight, grille, and taillights are going back to chrome

Interior / Electronics
      - Front bucket seats, with center console with gauge display and CB radio
      - Possible red interior swap
      - Replace all lights with LEDs
      - Add LED light bars to illuminate rear seat well
      - Sequential turn signals
      - Considering adding dual chrome spot lights
      - New stereo and speakers all around, two 8" subs where spare used to be

Just For Fun
      - Increase train horn pressure from 125psi to at least 200psi...louder is better.
      - Fog lights behind the grille that wig-wag when the train horn is blown
      - A bell to complete the train horn set up
      - Possible air whistle too...
      - Let's add Dixie horns to the mix...

The idea is to give an overall 50's theme, a la Turnpike Cruiser...with a little more bite than what it had back then. I want something I can have a little fun in playing around with the ricers, but then set the cruise on the highway and let it roll. And of course, I prefer to have something one-of-a-kind, that I can say I'm the only one to have.

sigpic
      - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
        Looks nice and clean! Have you ever considered up-grading to alloy rims?
        Amazing how little pictures can make things look...

But I do have a set of turbines that are being sand blasted by a buddy of mine. I'm gonna paint the inside of the fins a dark red color similar to what the Lincoln Marks had. But of course, they will have to go to the wayside whenever I wanna upgrade to big brakes...

sigpic

Comment

I like everything you have in mind for the car! Nice organization of the threads as well. The Cherry Bomb is definitely a looker.:heyhey:
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Just spoke with the guy who supplied my train horns.

When he installed the air system in the trunk, he drilled through the fuel tank. And now both pumps have ceased working. So for compensation, he's offered to find me a set of better 125psi compressors.

I've asked him to run the numbers to increase the system to 200psi. This will not only make my train horns louder, but will give me that extra boost I'd like if I decide to install airbags.

I should hear from him next week with his end of the proposal.

sigpic

Comment

Hornblasters.com (train horns for car)

Hornblasters

Some place actually sells setups.

Video of users:
              Some tools on youtube spooking folks
              sigpic
              1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2DR
              302CID, K&N air filter, Dual cherrybomb glasspacks, Vogue tyres (Front:P225/60R16,,Rear:P235/60R16), Centerline Pulsar wheels (Front:7", Rear 8")
              COBRA 25LTD CB with/ Wilson 500 whip antenna.

Comment

New toys, thanks to Justin.

Still need to get my turbines finished, but in the mean time, I thought I would try a different look with a set of older Lincoln hub caps. I think they look pretty neat, just need some wider white walls now...

Still waiting to be played with...new air box, '90 Town Car fan shroud and tanks, Tripminder, and fog lamps. Whenever work and daylight allow me...

New compressors should be here sometime this month.

sigpic

Comment

Those look awesome on your car. Very classy.

Comment

still looking good scott!
                    hows she running?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                      still looking good scott!
                      hows she running?
                      She's a little rough and tends to stall while shifting if I've got the A/C on, but other than that, she's running great. I drive her more than I do the HHR. :smirk:

sigpic

Comment

Oh you gotta put glass packs on, theres nothing like it.

Comment

love the lincoln hubcaps on mang

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                          302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                          k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

I have a set of those hub-caps. They were on my '79 TC before I up-graded to turbines.
                            '79 Continental Town Car
                            '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                            '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

New air compressors ordered. Air horn will be back up and running and charged to 200psi before Scottfest.

http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/Dual380C.html

Should get here in about a week. Pics will come of the install.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X