No announcement yet.

1988 Grand Marquis "The Cherry Bomb"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My tires are 8 years old, so come winter i'm getting rid of them because I don't know how safe they are anymore. I don't like "whitewalls", they're only whitestripe tires really, which I think are kinda tacky looking, I only like wide whitewalls, like old bias-ply's from the 50's. If I could find a good set of steelies i'd paint them body color and paint some blackwalls with a wide whitewall stripe, but I doubt that'll happen, I never have the time or money to do so, nor the skills, I suck working on cars. Anywho...

I like how you're sticking with the 80's luxury look and tastefully upgrading the look. It's not my style (i'm steadily going away from the elderly look leaning toward mild hotrod) but it works for you and your car. Once you get the turbines on with clean whitestripe tires, it'll look great.
    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
      Yeah, Sarah drives the HHR almost daily. I drive to work and then am gone for two days, so my six day work week requires three round trips in. I can handle the lower MPG this way, versus her doing mostly city driving four or five shifts. And she doesn't like driving the Marquis due to the size anyways, so more fun for me.

Only compliments I get are from people on here.

Mine will keep the whitewalls.

It's all one long trip up the ladder. You'll have money saved for the house at some point. Then you'll park Cherry Bomb and the F-150 and get teh minivan. As tedious as that all sounds, if you're cheeky, you'll be modding both vehicles in the garage. Then the fun begins. I think that's how it's supposed to work.

Packman

Comment

New noise maker to play with! Finally got the PA speaker bracket epoxied together and mounted in front of the front driver tire. I might toy with the location and angle a little more, I can get it to point down more if I cut away a little off one of the lips of the inner fender. But this area was easily accessible from both top and bottom to bolt the bracket too. Just kinda close to the frame, but aimed this way there is no direct way for road debris to enter the cone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PA-Speaker_2R.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1269589

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
        I like how you're sticking with the 80's luxury look and tastefully upgrading the look. It's not my style (i'm steadily going away from the elderly look leaning toward mild hotrod) but it works for you and your car. Once you get the turbines on with clean whitestripe tires, it'll look great.
        It's a little weird, being only 23 and all, but I like the kinda elderly luxo-barge look. Especially once this motor dies and something better goes in, it'll all work together well.

Originally posted by packman View Post
        It's all one long trip up the ladder. You'll have money saved for the house at some point. Then you'll park Cherry Bomb and the F-150 and get teh minivan. As tedious as that all sounds, if you're cheeky, you'll be modding both vehicles in the garage. Then the fun begins. I think that's how it's supposed to work.

Packman
        Minivan? I never want to see one in my driveway. I'll get another large sedan or SUV type deal, or a crossover like the Flex (I really like them) but a minivan? Ewww...or maybe that'll be my excuse to get a wagon.

sigpic
        - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

New noise maker to play with! Finally got the PA speaker bracket epoxied together and mounted in front of the front driver tire. I might toy with the location and angle a little more, I can get it to point down more if I cut away a little off one of the lips of the inner fender. But this area was easily accessible from both top and bottom to bolt the bracket too. Just kinda close to the frame, but aimed this way there is no direct way for road debris to enter the cone.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33349[/ATTACH]

It's a little weird, being only 23 and all, but I like the kinda elderly luxo-barge look. Especially once this motor dies and something better goes in, it'll all work together well.

Minivan? I never want to see one in my driveway. I'll get another large sedan or SUV type deal, or a crossover like the Flex (I really like them) but a minivan? Ewww...or maybe that'll be my excuse to get a wagon.
          You say that now, but you'll have the Windstar or Caravan with the plastic cargo container thingy on the roof. You'll be hauling 5 kids or so to their soccer games (perhaps a rodeo?) in no time. LOL Seriously though, it will happen.

Packman

Comment

The wife anf I already agreed on no minivans.
            Thats why the Excursion is next.
            Go big or go home.

-ryan s.
            08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
            03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
            97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
            94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
            73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
            12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
            Originally posted by pantera77
            Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Meh, Excursions. Does Ford still produce them? I've never driven one, but they seem to be the type of vehicle that seems cool at first, but gets boring within a few years. Then the "FOR SALE" sign gets stuck on it. There is a classified for one posted on our cafeteria wall by one of my associates.

I can see owning one out in the country, but here; I don't see it. Unless I lived out there (or on a farm) and had quite a few kids. I think a minivan, a lifted F-250 or C-20, and another project (whether it be a Panther or something) is all I need.

Sorry MrMarquis for this massive threadjacking.

Packman

Comment

Minivans are grossly less cool than a massively oversized SUV with a diesel engine though. I'd take a woodgrain wagon over either but I have no desire to drive a minivan. Possible exception would be an AWD GMC Safari or AWD Aerostar.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Minivans are grossly less cool than a massively oversized SUV with a diesel engine though. I'd take a woodgrain wagon over either but I have no desire to drive a minivan. Possible exception would be an AWD GMC Safari or AWD Aerostar.
                  i was thinkin an aerostar with a blown 460 stickin outta the hood,slammed to the weeds.....but then it really wouldnt be a "mini van" then.......more like a monster......lol

Comment

*GRRRR* We like monsters!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have been next to an Aerostar that had it's rocker panels right about eye level. I don't know what size the tires were exactly but they had to be over 4 feet tall. It had hydraulic steering too, just absolutely insane. Coolest minivan I have ever seen though by a long shot.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Aerostars FTW

I love my 86 it's definitely the coolest minivan possible.

It can tow, haul, and the back seats both fold down into a bed.

And +1 on the 460 idea. I'd love to swap my tired 3.0 for at least a 302 but there is no room under the hood. Spark plugs are already a b****
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
                          Aerostars FTW

I love my 86 it's definitely the coolest minivan possible.

It can tow, haul, and the back seats both fold down into a bed.

And +1 on the 460 idea. I'd love to swap my tired 3.0 for at least a 302 but there is no room under the hood. Spark plugs are already a b****
                          nothin a sawzall cant cure.....lol

Comment

All this minivan talk. There are plenty of other options available, although I do have a soft spot for the Aerostar. The family had a 1995 Aerostar XLT and I did love that van as a kid. It was supposed to become my driver, but Dad killed it by lack of maintenance and neglect. I was only 14 at the time and no one in the family knew anything about cars to save it. So maybe if I could find one similar...but that would be waaaay in the future.

sigpic
                            - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

I deliver to Bigfoot in Hazelwood, MO (ST Louis area off US67 & I270) and they have an Aerostar on tank tracks
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

All this minivan talk. There are plenty of other options available, although I do have a soft spot for the Aerostar. The family had a 1995 Aerostar XLT and I did love that van as a kid. It was supposed to become my driver, but Dad killed it by lack of maintenance and neglect. I was only 14 at the time and no one in the family knew anything about cars to save it. So maybe if I could find one similar...but that would be waaaay in the future.

5.0L/5-speed Aerostar swap?

Packman

Comment

Working...
                                X