{BRAKES} front brakes -- '85 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{BRAKES} front brakes -- '85 CV

This is for the '85 CV I bought. It needs front brakes. When I braked, there was a vibration in the pedal and I could feel it in the steering wheel if I braked harder.

I've never done brakes before. Can someone give me a walk-through on replacing the front brakes. I won't know what all needs to be done 'til I pull the wheels off, but I assume it'll need new pads and rotors turned.

How do I get the rotors off? Will I need any special tools? Will bearings need to be done at the same time? Can anyone describe the process of bleeding the brakes? All info is appreciated.

ok justin, the reason it shakes when you are braking is because the front brake rotors are warped.......they will have to be resurfaced if they are thick enough, or replaced

ok i will walk u thru replacint the pads and rotors
    1: jack vehicle and remove front wheels
    2: take a large screwdriver or prybar and push the brake caliper pistons in (or you can skip this step and push the pistons in with a c clamp......i find doing it on the car is faster lol)
    3: remove the two caliper retaining bolts (clean these up and use some brake slide grease on em when u put them back)
    4 pull the calipers off the rotors, and remove the old brake pads
    5: to remove rotors:
    5a: remove the dust caps with a pair of channelocks
    5b: remove the cotter pin and castle nut
    5c remove the nut and the outer wheel bearing, put the nut back on, and pull out on the rotor, just catching the inner bearing, and slam it off quiclly.....this breals the seal on the back of the rotor free.
    5d: take the nut off, and remove the inner bearing and seal
    6:
    to reassemble
    get two new front axle seals, and get the rotors cut or replace them
    clean all the old grease off the old bearings, and repack with fresh wheel bearing grease
    clean grease out of old rotors if reusing and add some fresh grease to the races......lay it in there about 1/4" thick......same goes for new rotors

instsall inner bearings and install new seals
    install rotor over spindle, add the outer bearing, the washer, install the nut snug, not too loose, not too tight lol (you should have no wheel bearing play, and the rotor should spin........use pliers to tighten the nut

install castle nut, cotter pin, and replace the cap

install brake pads and calipers, put bolts on

pump up the brake pedal when done, and check the brake fluid.........should be 1/4" below the top of the master cyl after the brakes were pumped up

brakes are my specialty........let me know if you need any other advice
    scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Thanks a lot, man. I can't wait to get into it.

Comment

Scott, I didn't push the caliper pistons in when it was on the car. What do I have to do to get it back on the rotor with the new pads? Just squeeze it in with a vise grip?

Comment

Put a pad on the piston like you are going to install it, and use a C-clamp to compress the piston back into the caliper.

Comment

or, if you are rugged, squeeze the fucker back in the bore...

ive done it a couple times when no clamp was available
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Just spend the $5 and get a quick-release C-clamp. You'll use it all the time.

Comment

i use an old brake pad on the piston and a c clamp or a pair of channellocks

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

we have a fancy pistol grip ratcheting piston presser at work
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Scott, thank you so much for the walk-through. It made the job go pretty smooth. It took me some time since it was my first brake job, but the next time should be a breeze. New pads, one new rotor, turned the other, new seals, and repacked. The bad rotor had a nasty deep groove in it. Now she brakes nice and smooth.

Btw, total cost was $83.01. When the shop did the front brakes on my '88 early this year it cost $300.

Comment

glad i could be of some help justin! i try my best to help people........i was unexperienced myself at one time.........most mechanics/ garage owners are assholes about giving help and advice........i know the guy i worked for used to bitch at me when i explained to the customer how to repair something themself........greedy bastards......300 for a brake job

Comment

Its really amazing how much things cost, especially once you do it yourself and realize how simple it is. Besides, there is the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

:ttiwwop:

Also I could include it in the Brakes section of the site!
                          2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

I wanted to take pics, but when your hands are full of grease you don't really want to be handling a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962
                              I wanted to take pics, but when your hands are full of grease you don't really want to be handling a camera.
                              unfortunately that is the reason i dont take more pics

Comment

Working...
                              X