{BRAKES} Brake pads--let's solve this mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{BRAKES} Brake pads--let's solve this mystery

Here's the situation: brake pads for panthers, I thought, were either 200 series for non-police, and 150 for police. That means depending if it is a semi-metallic or organic pad, you would get something like MKD200, D150, or whatever the particular vendor puts in front.

On the AutoZone computer, if I select non-police I get MKD200's listed for my vehicle. Of course my police package will take MKD150's. Strangely enough, for a box-body Grand Marquis--it shows a MKD199. I sold a MKD200 tonight knowing the calipers were the same. I just verified this on RockAuto by comparing part numbers.

The problem is I just went through all the years of panthers and I am seeing 199's and 150's as what is required. Why would there be a difference? Again, on the AZ computer, when you put in an '85 Grand Marq, it will show the MKD200V for the value series pad, and a MKD199 for the lifetime. The V means only a 1 year warranty, and are numbered in a way that MKD200V, MKD200, and DG200 are all the same pads. It makes no sense to recommend a MKD200V and then change the number for the next line of pad.

What experiences does everyone have with purchasing a store brand brake pad? Tomorrow I will compare the 199 and 200 pad and see what differences there are. Hopefully I don't see that woman again angry I gave her the wrong pad.

Interesting...ill look at my store tommarow..
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i am familiar with raybestos numbering system from when i worked at meineke.........police takes the 150 pads........non police the 199 pads.........your catalogs at az are screwy stu lol
      scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

so you sold her a pad without wings?

on a serious note, i know what its like to deal with irate customers. its a royal pita.
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Might be a difference for towing package cars or wagons for pads :confused: But to me they should have upgraded brakes of some kind and not just better pads.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I'm on my lunch break right now, but I forgot to look at the pads. I'll do it when I get back to work.

Comment

the difference is the clip on the inboard pad. pull all 3 off the shelf and compare them.
              2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
              89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
              88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Isn't there a differance in the bonding/rivetting between the 2?

Comment

Okay, I pulled a 200 set off and compared it to a 199 set--there were absolutely no discernable differences.

Comment

It could be a different pad compound, harder or softer material.

Most brake pad companies have an 800 tech line. call them and ask.
                    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Stu, I went through this when I posted on one of your "JOHNS GOAT" ribbings. The difference between the 199, and 200's, is the 3 prong clip one the back of the 199 is SMALLER. The CV/GM'S use TWO different calipers. One has a steel piston (D200), and one has a phelonic (PLASTIC) piston (D199). Both of my cars, the 89 CV, and my current 89 GM, both have/had plastic pistons, using D199 pads. As I said, in my other post, the computers are USELESS! Stick with the good ole paper catalogs.

Comment

Working...
                      X