When the planets fall apart...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When the planets fall apart...

So I finally got pics of the destruction in my old Tranny. It was as I throught, the planetary gears were trashed. Broke a few teeth off, most all of the teeth ridges are trashed, one of the thrust bearings got trashed, 2 of the planet gear's shafts came lose in the gear housing. You can see the heat disscoleration on in the pics, along with the obious amount of play. In the last pic you can even see where it had broken the housing. This thing was holding the whole time, it drove over 2 weeks (about 600miles) with grinding noises. I have to give it up to that sucker, it withstood a beating and kept on ticking. Keep in mind I knew it was trashed, so I didn't go easy on it for those two weeks, and it still held!

:worship: AOD

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
    2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

the 700R4 tranny in my camaro has been grinding for 40,000 kilometers. it wont automatically upshift into od either or downsfit once its in it, and if i push the gas hard when i put it in od it pops out. now it grinds almost at every shift.

Comment

Holy shit!
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Damn. What are you doing to those things!? I beat the living shit out of my 87 and it took a ton of milage 60K or more to grenade my tranny...
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
            60K or more to grenade my tranny...
            BWAHHAHAHAHA!!!!
            60K LOL

Well with all the extra power and all, it don't help. I've had most of this extra power for the past 90,000miles, and of those 90,000, 5,000 with another 15-20hp from my exhaust. Now 90,000 I know isn't that much, but this tranny didn't get it's first clutch rebuild till 230,000miles. The total millage on that piece of hardware is a little over 270,000miles. I think it did quite well, being abused, and holding significantly more power than was intedned for in this car.

I'll admit, though your car is most likely slower, it also most likely has more power than mine.

Comment

i'm increduibly hard on my vehicles. even the isuzu which i promised myself i wouldn't be
              Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

I've owned 5 vehicles, and only one of them I've not had to put a transmission in. That was the Dodge Dakota I owned for just about a year. I was on transmission #3 in my Beetle when it went to the graveyard. #1 had a bad differential, #2 had a worn 3rd gear syncrho and eventually blew 4th so it would pop out of gear on the highway. Something gear related came apart in my Chevy's trans, I suspect a planetary gear failure. The metal from that is probably what took out the pump. The Lincoln AOD was cooked to death.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                  [
                  BWAHHAHAHAHA!!!!
                  60K LOL

Well with all the extra power and all, it don't help. I've had most of this extra power for the past 90,000miles, and of those 90,000, 5,000 with another 15-20hp from my exhaust. Now 90,000 I know isn't that much, but this tranny didn't get it's first clutch rebuild till 230,000miles. The total millage on that piece of hardware is a little over 270,000miles. I think it did quite well, being abused, and holding significantly more power than was intedned for in this car.

I'll admit, though your car is most likely slower, it also most likely has more power than mine.

I thought that it was the newer tranny ou just got...

. I put prolly 100K on my rebuilt tranny. I was running 16 flat with the lopo longblock. 14's with the HO. I wasted mine stock tranny like 2-3 months after I got the car-damn TV bushing. That car saw triple digits almost daily, was sideways about 20% of the time i was driving it, and was leaving 100ft of double tracks quite regularly...and I manually shifted that thing all the time. Sideways in 2nd, screeched 3rd like crazy... I had a problem with bending driveshafts...

Comment

Every time I pulled my transmission apart, the clutches were down to their steel wafers. Never had any hard part damage, though the valve body and a couple drums ended up being replaced. That center support bushing wore down once and you could hear it quite clearly.

Comment

Oh, and the car dynod at 200RWHP....with 200K plus on the shortblock.

I still haven't pulled my tranny apart to see how bad it grenaded. It whined like crazy, loud bam, lost OD, then D, and all I was left with was reverse...or was it just first....Dunno. that was almost 3 years ago...

Comment

Working...
                      X