im an indecisive bastard. 347 stroker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im an indecisive bastard. 347 stroker?

well... i suck. i keep changing my mind. now im thinknig after losing a few bids on cobra intakes that topped 300$ u.s. that i may rather go for a 347 stroker crank. is this a good idea for more tq? would i need to upgrade anything else or would my setup feed it fine.

im supposing id need to return the bearing kit for my polished crank that i had ground 10 under. and i can use my stock rods and stock replacment pistons (the ones i got have valve reliefs now) but going this route seems cheaper than the intake.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBF-C...95285008QQrdZ1

would i need a bigger fuel pump and convert to maf?

I'm not a fan of Hawk racing cranks...

That company on ebay has several bad comments over on corral.net

Kinda one of those "get what you pay for" deals...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

go with this
      GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
      1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
      99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
      03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
      95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

but i already have this

Comment

Stay away from Eagle, several highly respected engine builders have said their quality has gone down in the last few years. Go with Scat products, they are better than eagle and they cost less. you cannot just use the 347 crank the first time you crank it over your piston will smash into the cylinder head. You have to use special pistons and i believe rods. just the crank, rods and pistons will cost around $1000.

If you go with a 347 you have to get better heads because the stock heads can barely support 302 in let alone 347.
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

hrm, i'll have to look into that duece, thanks for the heads up
            GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
            1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
            99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
            03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
            95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

331 used stock rods and 351 pistons with the proper 331 stoker crank. If you wanted, you can usually order cranks pre-ground .010 under, but I would just buy it std and leave room in the future if it has to be ground

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
              '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
              '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

do what your wallet tells you too
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP*
                  do what your wallet tells you too
                  Time for Mcdonalds

Comment

You could probably still do with a better intake, especially if you increase the displacement. More displacement wants better airflow. I also don't really see how buying an aftermarket crank, having the block bored .030 over and buying a set of pistons is cheaper than buying a good intake.

And were you looking at Mustang Cobra intakes or Explorer parts? The Cobra stuff may flow a little bit better, and probably looks a little cooler but the Explorer stuff is not a lot different performance wise and is often found a lot cheaper.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re: im an indecisive bastard. 347 stroker?

Originally posted by Pimp Hard Or Bust
                      well... i suck. i keep changing my mind. now im thinknig after losing a few bids on cobra intakes that topped 300$ u.s.
                      For starters, it can cost $300 just to balance a cheap stroker crank. If you can't afford an intake, then you can't afford to do a performance build on your car. You need to upgrade your fuel pump, your computer and injectors when you changer other performance items on your engine. As it was mentioned, you can save $100 or more by going with an Explorer intake.

Comment

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        331 used stock rods and 351 pistons with the proper 331 stoker crank. If you wanted, you can usually order cranks pre-ground .010 under, but I would just buy it std and leave room in the future if it has to be ground
                        That is physically impossible. A 331 uses a 3.4" stroker crank. This is not negotiable for all practical applications. A stock 302 rod is 5.09" long. A 351 stock piston has a ~1.75" compression height. With a 1.75" piston and a 3.4" crank, you would need a 4.815" rod to keep the piston from slamming into your head.
                        The typical 331 uses a piston with a 1.71" compression height and uses a 5.4" rod.
                        You may be getting confused with a 393 which is a 351W using a stock length 351W rod (5.956") and a 302 piston hanging on a 3.85" crank.

Comment

Working...
                        X