Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jayh View Post
    you can run a flat tappet in a roller block, no problem there
    I was unaware of that.....so would it be worth it to pass up on the PI block in favor for an F Series?
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

there is a lightning intake on corral for $400 or BO, but expect 302 performance

the pro products is cheap, its an edelbrock rip off

Im not sure but I think the 90's 351's are 9:1

carb'd isnt a bad idea either

Comment

Never bother with Professional Products pieces. Weak metal and terrible castings.

Who has test fitted a TFS intake on a 351 in a box to show clearance issues.
        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
          My main concern about keeping EFI is cost. Also hood clearance issues. I believe I am correct in saying that the TFS manifold will not fit under the stock hood, and the Lightning intake is a little pricey, and I'm not too thrilled about a super victor plus an elbow either unless there is some serious power backing it up. Plus than you have to think about healthier fuel injectors, a tune, and other electronic crap, when I can get the same amount of power out of a carbed motor.
          Yup. Less wires equals win.
          1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
          2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
            Never bother with Professional Products pieces. Weak metal and terrible castings.

Who has test fitted a TFS intake on a 351 in a box to show clearance issues.
            I agree, but I would run a ported pro products over the gt40 stuff any day of the week

Comment

Originally posted by Pesty351 View Post
              Agree, its just simpler overall compared to injection. And in my opinion it looks cleaner and tougher, thats why I am so bent on converting my 87 to a carb when I build it.
              -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
              -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

The P72 351 is a boat anchor.

Get an F4 block, put an HO cam in it, and put a decent set of heads on it. Performer RPM or Stealth intake, and a carb that you will be able to tune. The Edelcrocks are EASY...

I'd put a kit (or better yet a vb) and converter in the AOD, 3.73s in the rear and drive it.
                **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I was unaware of that.....so would it be worth it to pass up on the PI block in favor for an F Series?
                  Yes. Modern oils lack the zinc additives required for long life out of a flat tappet cam. Roller cams don't have that problem. You also get better ramp rates and less overall friction with a roller setup. You could use those roller conversion lifters, but the linkbar style costs a f'n fortune, vastly more than you'd spend on a later model block and unless you're making a hell of a lot of power, you really don't need them.

Only if you actually know how to tune the calibrated vacuum leak and get the timing curve right.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

ok, another question.

Everyone seems to be agreeing on one thing....go for a roller motor.
                    Would I be good with a 94+ block and this:
                    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-2090/

Its 700 dollars more than the flat tappet setup, but it makes an extra 50 hp and 20 ft/lbs of torque. And it comes with a roller cam. And from what everyone is saying...I think it might be worth it. I just need some opinions.

EDIT: Also at this point, with the rebuild kit, the top end kit, the motor itself, and a carb, I'm still about 1500 dollars less than the EFI build plan I originally had, but with almost 100 extra hp.
                    Last edited by hemihotrod402; 05-21-2010, 09:55 PM.
                    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

For what its worth, I'm leaning back toward the EFI 306, because of driveability and starting. Unless someone can really talk me out of it.....

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat View Post
                        I've got a PP dual plane on the Lincoln, no problems with it.
                        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

For what its worth, I'm leaning back toward the EFI 306, because of driveability and starting. Unless someone can really talk me out of it.....
                          you know what? forget it, that was me not thinking. After playing around with my Dad's AMX, it actually starts better than Vicky does lol. Just cold starting might be a bitch.

1 more question, is 94 351 out of a van the same thing as one out of an F series?

Comment

If its tuned correctly it will start first crank every time. I never have an issue with mine and I don't even have the choke hooked up.
                            1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                            2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                            sigpic

Comment

1 more question, is 94 351 out of a van the same thing as one out of an F series?
                              yes

If its tuned correctly it will start first crank every time. I never have an issue with mine and I don't even have the choke hooked up.
                              Im guessing it gets colder in ohio than it does in florida
                              Last edited by 87gtVIC; 05-24-2010, 06:36 AM. Reason: merge

Comment

Its drops down in the teens here quite regularly in jan-feb.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X