Super Unknown -- interior restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Unknown -- interior restoration

Pictures included. Pretty self explanatory.

Not really a restoration ... more like a good old fashioned scrubbin' with some stuff added. Started on this yesterday by ripping out the interior. Two major issues were on the top of my list: 1. Get the heater core plenum sealed against the firewall. Shop did the core years ago and snow was blowing out the bottom of the plenum last winter. Was the first winter she sat outside in years. 2. Make sure there's no rust on the floor below the plenum.

The Plenum: I have never had a plenum fight me so hard before. Five hours to get it seated on the studs. Why wasn't it flush with the firewall and leaking in snow and rain? The plenum-to-firewall gasket was folded up, leaving a large gap. Not only was rain/snow an issue, but when running heat or a/c, neither would heat/cool the interior because of the gap. At this point, it seems to be fixed.

The Rust: I got off lucky. The front grommet on the floor had a small amount of surface rust around it. Ground it clean and coated it with Rust Encapsulator. Also, I found that the factory under carpet padding was soaked. Since I was adding new padding, I just cut and removed the soggy crap.

The Carpet: I was hoping to replace this one with either a nicer used one or a new one, but cost and time didn't match up. Original carpet is in decent shape. Only two small wear spots at the driver's position. Broke out the Bissel carpet cleaner and went to work. Odd thing I found was that the locations of the rear factory floor mats were somewhat discolored. The carpet cleaned up better than expected. New padding was laid down under the carpet. Same material 87gtVIC used in his car. And, yes, it was a bitch to cut.

The Seats: I was tired of my ass sitting on worn out padding, so I decided to re-pad both front seats. Driver's seat took two 1-inch thick sheets of foam padding. Lower sheet was glued to a sheet of burlap for protection from the springs, and was cut large enough to cover the whole seat section. Second sheet of padding was cut smaller and only covered the ass portion of the seat. Passenger seat took one sheet of padding with burlap. Also, the lumbar portion of both seats were pretty well shot. Cut a smaller section of padding and installed between factory foam and seat frame. Used two small strips of double-sided trim tape to secure them. The end result was alright. Lumbar worked out good. The driver's seat is as low as it goes and I still sit mighty high, but it should settle after use. Passenger seat came out perfect. Seats were also shampooed.

Dash is next on the list. Found out I messed up my gauge wiring when fighting the plenum, so that needs to be fixed. Need to dig out my nicer gauge/speedometer cluster and install. Got my Wheelskins leather wheel wrap last week, so that will go in last.
    Last edited by monterey1962; 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM.

Last bit of pics for now.

Comment

nice work mang!

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Nice job! I assume the weather has been good in ND?
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks, fellas. Weather has been decent enough.

Comment

do the seats offer any more support in the rump now?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Wow. Everything looks great!
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I had decent luck cleaning carpet by pulling it out completely, scrubbing some carpet shampoo in, and blasting the BS out of it with the pressure washer until muck stopped coming out. Takes hours to dry hung over a fence if you do that, but it looks pretty good at the end of the day.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  do the seats offer any more support in the rump now?
                  Yes. However, I may remove a 1" sheet from the driver's seat. Sitting way to high and a little off balance.

Comment

That turned out really nice... You did what I plan on doing to mine, only I am replacing my rubber floor mat with carpet.
                    sigpic
                    https://www.facebook.com/jason.baker.1614
                    1985 P43 Crown Vic, "Lightning Interceptor". Project is back on!
                    1987 P72 Crown Vic, EFI 351W (not my conversion), rusty and crusty parts car.
                    2006 Ford Fusion, 30MPG, premium sound, daily driver, 200K miles and still going.
                    2011 Ford Fucus, 36MPG, Sync, wifey / baby mobile.

Comment

Got my gauge cluster done up tonight. Not installed, yet. Re-used most of my current cluster, but switched over a nice non-busted gear indicator panel and cable, and changed the cover lens. Cleaned it up while it was apart, too.

Noticed that my lumbar cushion install isn't quite right. Leaves no support for the shoulders, so I'm going to try adding a piece of padding to each seat and see if that balances it out.

Comment

Tried to wrap things up tonight. Put a new Ford speedometer cable in. Needle seems to have quit bouncing at low speeds. Was only able to roll around the block, so I don't know if it is corrected all the way up to 55 mph. Switched out my signal lever for a much nicer one. Found that my wiring issue with my gauges was just a couple of loose connections. Pulled my trip minder apart, but didn't see any way of cleaning any contacts.

Pulled one sheet of foam from the driver's seat. Much better now. Still not as comfy as I'd like it to be, but it's better than sitting on the springs.

Dash is back together. Only issue so far is with the dash lights. Will check into that tomorrow. Had to wrap it up so I could install the new front shocks in my CV. No more bouncy front end. Yay.

Comment

Tripminder pics.

Comment

Scary inside the tripminder.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

For the tripminder, sandpaper, very fine grit sandpaper.
                              http://www.coolcats.net/tech/advanced/tripminder.html
                              I made a completely functional tripminder out of a few broken ones from Scott at scottfest last year Dave, you should've stuck around my car that Saturday morning.
                              Last edited by 86VickyLX; 06-13-2010, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X