Super Unknown -- interior restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    oh fun.....at least it isnt as nasty as thains 1/4 panels.......take a cordless sawzall to a rust free 1/4 section if you can
    Depending on how things work out, I'll be stripping the '90 GM for parts next year. It has good rear 1/4's ... so far.

Comment

Finished my '89 CV's steering wheel tonight. I ordered a custom made leather wrap in the color "grey". Measurements I used were:

OD, 14 3/8"
      GC, 2 3/4"

The result? A near perfect fit. No excess material. It stitched up nice and tight. Spokes have a slight issue with gaps, but it's nothing to complain about. So far, I am happy with the results. Now it's just a test of how well it wears over time.
      Last edited by monterey1962; 06-27-2010, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Looked like you had peanut butter on the steering wheel once you removed the old cover. New one looks nice.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Both cars were indeed ugly underneath the original wraps.

Comment

Fixed the three rust spots in the trunk today. After hitting them with my drill and wire wheel, I discovered the rust was a little worse than originally thought. Cleaned and coated with Eastwood Encapsulator. I cleaned up my sub woofer wiring a bit, then put the trunk back together. Going to put the trunk off until the rear quarters are done.

I also didn't like how my seats felt with the new padding. It feels like your leaning towards the doors on both sides. Pulled the passenger seat and trimmed the front to fit under the factory cushion like I did the driver's side. Also cut quite a bit off of the inside area of the seat. The new padding was making the area on the inside of the seats too high because of the seat frame. With those portions removed, both seats feel much better and I sit level, again.

The wire supports on the driver's seat looked pretty rough, so I installed the support from the '85 GM seats I had stripped. Re-used the same springs since they felt good. Much more comfortable now.

Comment

Were the holes in the leather wheel wrap pre-punched so the stitching comes out even, or did you have to punch them with the needle? What kind of thread is that, nylon monofilament (looks like fishing string) or something else? I'm considering getting one of those wraps for my S10, the stock foam padding is getting nasty.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Holes are pre-punched. I'm not sure what the thread is. It's kind of soft, but I could pull on it mighty hard and it wouldn't tear. Thread is color coded to the wrap, too.

Comment

Those speaker covers that were in the later model vics... 90 and 91? not sure when they started, but a kid got in my car and asked me if they were aftermarket, said I did a great job making a speaker enclosure. They do point the speakers up and away from the door too so I imagine it did improve your sound quite a bit. Your doing good work man.
                  "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                    Those speaker covers that were in the later model vics... 90 and 91? ...They do point the speakers up and away from the door too so I imagine it did improve your sound quite a bit. Your doing good work man.
                    Very much so... I used the angled ring bezels found behind those covers to install door speakers in my 85... its amazing what those and some satellite tweeters can do...!
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I had time this evening, so I yanked the sub woofer out of the CV and tossed it in SU. With the stereo cranked, I can now hear the front speakers while the sub is thumping. Made it sound so much more balanced. Well worth the work, indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                        I had time this evening, so I yanked the sub woofer out of the CV and tossed it in SU. With the stereo cranked, I can now hear the front speakers while the sub is thumping. Made it sound so much more balanced. Well worth the work, indeed.
                        Sub Woofer for the win!
                        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
                        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

nice!
                          i told you to put a sub in s.u a couple yrs ago....about time lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I've had the sub wiring run in SU for a couple years, now. However, the sub pretty much stays in the CV, since that's my traveling car. Now, I just need to find a titanium interior out of a '90-'91 so I can do the same modification to my CV's front doors.

Comment

is that the grey color like my vic and skips vic monty?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

the firewall leak from the vent is common and requires taking the whole dash out to fix it. If I EVER do that... I will silliconII that entire hole before putting the ducts back on. That way it won't ever leak again. heck with new gaskets.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X