Fan Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fan Clutch

I took my car to the A/C shop (again--argh) and he said while I was there that he thought my fan clutch could stand to be replaced. This jives with what I was thinking last summer when my A/C didn't feel like it was living up to its full potential. However, looking around the various car part websites (including rockauto), I haven't seen any heavy duty fan clutches listed for my car.

I'm also seeing things like thermal and non thermal and standard vs non-standard rotations. I don't know anything about fan clutches.

I've also thought about going to an electric fan, but I'm not sure if I have the patience to figure it out unless someone could give me some sort of tried-and-true recipe like we have for 3g alternators.

Any info y'all can provide would be great.

Cheers,
    Graham
    Originally posted by gadget73
    There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
    91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
    93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
    Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
    Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
    95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

i prefer oem fan clutches, they work better and last longer, they do cost a little more tho.
    copied this from www.partsguyed.com
    Fan clutch, all models, w/trailer tow package
    86-91 $121.42 $69.94

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

What's the difference between the ones with and without trailer package? Does the tow package one operate at a higher percentage of engine revs?

Also...
      what's your experience been with electric fans? Do you have a recommended recipe for them? What works, what doesn't?
      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.

Comment

the tow package one should have less slippage for more air movement. I don't know for sure if thats the case, but thats what they should do.

I have a Mark VIII fan on my car and I'm seriously considering switching back. Its noisy as hell, it barely fits between the 3 core radiator and the water pump, it dims the headlights at idle even with a 130 amp alternator and a different pulley to spin the alternator faster, and for whatever reason it hits something whenever I make turns so it produces this grinding clattering noise whenever I park the car. It also makes the temperature gauge wander up and down as the fan cuts in and out with the controller. Clutch fans are quiet and they just work. No wiring BS either. If I switch it back, I'd probably add a small electric pusher fan in front and tie that into the AC wiring to give me some more airflow for AC usage, but it would be something smaller and using a lot less current than the VIII fan.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, I'll probably just put on a small pusher fan for the A/C. I kinda like engine driven fans, just because of the simplicity. Even with the 3g upgrade, one single thing that's got that kind of current draw bothers me.

I'll probably just throw a new clutch in there and call it a day.

Comment

Working...
          X