Noise at constant speeds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noise at constant speeds.

For about a week, I've been hearing a sound towards the rear of my vehicle at constant speeds or when slowing down. It sounds like the gurgling my stomach makes when I'm hungry, and doesn't stop unless I'm stopped or accelerating. From the driver seat, it sounds like it's coming from behind.

Any ideas of what it could be, or how to stop it?

might be an axle bearing......most times the axle needs to be replaced also

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Possible a driveshaft U-joint also? The U-joint is easy to check, just get under the car with the parking brake on, and the trans in neutral, and see if there is any slop in the joints by turning the driveshaft by hand back and forth.

Comment

Thanks, if I'm lucky I'll be able to check while there's still light out when the temp.'s under 100.

Could these possibly be why the car also makes a "clink" sort of noise when I switch from reverse to drive as well?

Edit:
        I just checked the u-joints with a flashlight, and I'm only able to turn the driveshaft a little, but the u-joints don't seem sloppy, only move as much as driveshaft goes.

Any way to test the axles?
        Last edited by gnomeguy110; 06-09-2010, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I'm no expert but I would say that the clunk you get could be a number of things, one of which is the rear end bushing. I had the same clunk when I had my lincoln. Chances are though you could have a issue with the differental. Have you checked the fluid?
          1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "betsy" 5.0 lopo w/AOD with around 160k. Aka The Land Yacht aka Betsy.

Comment

When I had a wheel bearing/axle going bad on mine, I jacked the rear of the car up, grabbed the upper part of the tire and tried to wiggle it up and down. Mine had so much slop in it that it was obvious the bearing and hence then axle was shot.

Jay
            These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

Dead U joint can make a clunk when shifting gears. Check the gear oil level in the rear axle too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

U joints can also make noises at constant speeds. My car made a chirping sound at certain speeds. I had no needle bearings left in the u joints at all.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

mine made a "ting" sound with one of the 4 bearings on the u-joint shot to hell and the other 3 heading south fast. The other u-joint was about to start going bad as the bearings were rusting, but I found that out after replacing it anyhow.

I also had to rebuilt my entire rear axle (bearings all around... spacer bearing on the right side wheel due to a gouge in the axle). sounded like a low buzz from the back end.

Only when moving on both accounts.

I did get the occasional clunk shifting into gear with the u-joints though.
                  Last edited by sly; 06-09-2010, 08:35 PM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got the diff. fluid changed today and haven't noticed the humming noise, and when I switch from R-D now it's not so much of a "clink" noise but a softer noise like a footstep. I'll still have the u-joints changed out though.

Comment

Working...
                    X